Benson Henderson wants to fight Georges St-Pierre after Melendez

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Benson Henderson wants to fight Georges St-Pierre after Melendez
Shawn91111
2/26/13 10:42:11PM
The UFC called 2013 the year of the superfight, and now lightweight champion Benson Henderson has thrown his name into the discussion.

Henderson intends to request a blockbuster match-up against UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre following his upcoming title defense against Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez on April 20, 2013 at UFC on FOX 7. UFC Tonight first reported the news.

"My main focus is on defending my title against Gilbert Melendez on April 20," Henderson told MMAFighting.com in a statement. "That's it. But I am a fan of the sport on top of being a competitor. I see all this talk about super fights and other fighters getting to dictate what weight classes they want to move up and down to in order to get title shots. I'm the UFC's lightweight champion and I feel I should be allowed to make such statements myself.

"I want to fight in the biggest fights and against the best fighters," he continued. "Georges St. Pierre is one of the greatest fighters in our sport's history. Of course I'd love to fight him, and I think the fans would want to see that fight too. It would be an honor to go up against such a great competitor, especially with a title on the line.

LINK
Pookie
2/26/13 10:43:22PM
Yeah, i wouldnt want to fight Jose either.
prophecy033
2/26/13 10:51:04PM

Posted by Pookie

if I was him I'd rather fight Jose than GSP. At least he would have the size advantage against Aldo
Boo_Radley21
2/26/13 11:14:28PM
Foolish. GSP would finish Bendo. I'd bet my av for life on it.
Budgellism
2/26/13 11:15:21PM
I don't really have a lot of interest in GSP vs. Bendo. I'd rather see him fight Aldo.
Bubbles
2/26/13 11:44:06PM
I wonder what Johny Hendricks' reaction to this is...

jae_1833
2/27/13 12:08:48AM
Oh for Christ's sake people! Enough with the weight moves and Superfight call outs...nothing ever comes of it other than a complete lack of fights. Bendo has like three guys coming for his title, GSP is in the same boat and Silva is making moves towards Jones...plus Aldo...knock it off it is getting ridiculous!
FastKnockout
2/27/13 12:13:51AM
Sorry, Bendo. You haven't defended your title enough to warrant a superfight yet.
sparky
2/27/13 12:21:05AM
How about we call out someone in our weight class this shit is just bananas now
jae_1833
2/27/13 1:21:01AM

Posted by sparky

How about we call out someone in our weight class this shit is just bananas now

Just for fun, who knows...it may just work!
RhythmAndStyle
2/27/13 1:51:11AM

Posted by Pookie

'if' Aldo gets past Pettis..who i believe didnt want to fight Pettis at first, but i'm guessing money had something to do with it..
aussiemma
2/27/13 2:37:49AM
Hendricks definitely deserves it more, but wtf guys !!! as if none of you want to see this fight.

Dont know about the rest of you but whenever there is a current champ v champ fight...im in !!! I mean how fucking rare is that ??!!
Travesty145
2/27/13 3:01:59AM
fight goes similar to gsp koscheck 2
Theoutlaw08
2/27/13 8:44:48AM

Posted by Bubbles

THIS. Anything but Toby.

Im sick of fighters moving weight classes every day
Dberntson
2/27/13 9:41:31AM
GSP destroys Bendo.
postman
2/27/13 9:45:26AM
As you may have guessed I LOVE IT!
BillsNewAccount
2/27/13 10:58:33AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Beat? Probably. Finish? Doubt it.
postman
2/27/13 11:01:02AM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Beat? Probably. Finish? Doubt it.

Sounds like you two should have a AV for life bet!
Budgellism
2/27/13 1:16:10PM

Posted by aussiemma

Hendricks definitely deserves it more, but wtf guys !!! as if none of you want to see this fight.

Dont know about the rest of you but whenever there is a current champ v champ fight...im in !!! I mean how fucking rare is that ??!!

The style match up is not a good one. I can't honestly say Bendo has anything to offer GSP.
Bubbles
2/27/13 2:09:20PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by aussiemma

The style match up is not a good one. I can't honestly say Bendo has anything to offer GSP.

Bendo has the power of the Lord and Saviour
Poor_Franklin
2/27/13 2:10:27PM
Bendo should really be excited about the chance to fight either Aldo or Pettis.

Also, these superfights are fine by me, as long as they clean out their division 1st.

i think Hendicks head would explode if they made this fight, assuming he beats Condit
frizzzlecake
2/27/13 3:56:01PM
Regardless if Aldo beats or loeses to Pettis, I see Aldo fighting Bendo next.

Aldo loses,"it's the weight cut, I can't make it like I use too."blah blah Move to LW and get's his titleshot.

Beats pettis," I want to fight Benson Henderson."
tmas
2/27/13 4:08:50PM
this could be a great matchup two guys with similar skill sets. i like it.
infestructure
2/27/13 4:25:12PM
How long before Ronda Rousey calls out Mighty Mouse Or Cain calls out Jones
shaneTpain
2/27/13 4:46:45PM
Slow your role Bendo! GSP would MURDER YOU! God bless
airkerma
2/27/13 6:30:56PM

Posted by postman

As you may have guessed I LOVE IT!

I should have known I'd see you on this thread being all happy
Wolfenstein
2/27/13 8:44:47PM
Lw is stacked with contenders...unless he's planning on moving permanently to WW...there's no way Hendricks should be passed over again...bad enough we're stuck with Diaz vs GSP...which we all know is going to end via wrestling clinic.
Bubbles
2/28/13 12:20:09AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin
i think Hendicks head would explode if they made this fight, assuming he beats Condit

I questioned this too...

Posted by Bubbles

I wonder what Johny Hendricks' reaction to this is...