Dr. Benjamin: Stoppages like Joe Warren's require longer recovery, honest evaluation

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dr. Benjamin: Stoppages like Joe Warren's require longer recovery, honest evaluation
prophecy033
3/18/12 5:06:55PM
Ninety days? More like a year.

That's the minimum time MMAjunkie.com medical columnist Dr. Johnny Benjamin believes former Bellator featherweight champ Joe Warren should stay on the bench – if he returns at all.

"He needs a year off for his brain to heal and then reassess his life and say, 'Is this what I want to continue to do?'" Benjamin told MMAjunkie.com Radio

Link
tcunningham
3/18/12 5:45:09PM
i hope warren goes after the Olympics. i heard he's talking about trying out next month for greco roman. the topic that should be equally important is making sure these refs know when to stop the fight. as much as i hate early stoppages, a late stoppage is almost worst. warren's fight should have never gone that far, i was yelling at the TV telling the ref to stop it. fights like that are career shortening or even career ending. id rather see a pissed off warren about an early stoppage than to hear that he was vomiting from a concussion. we as fighters know the risk of fighting but you also have to have a certain amount of trust in the referee.
rush13
3/19/12 12:36:34AM

Posted by prophecy033

Ninety days? More like a year.

That's the minimum time MMAjunkie.com medical columnist Dr. Johnny Benjamin believes former Bellator featherweight champ Joe Warren should stay on the bench – if he returns at all.

"He needs a year off for his brain to heal and then reassess his life and say, 'Is this what I want to continue to do?'" Benjamin told MMAjunkie.com Radio

Link

No shit, that stoppage was so late it was pretty brutal to watch...Kim Winslow was even shaking her head.
Bubbles
3/19/12 1:31:06PM
I wonder how much time this doctor suggests Goulet should take off
cowcatcher
3/19/12 1:44:36PM

Posted by tcunningham

i hope warren goes after the Olympics. i heard he's talking about trying out next month for greco roman.

If/when Joe tries out for the Olympics at 132 lbs. he's going to run into a buzzsaw by the name of Jesse Thielke. OK, maybe not this time around as Thielke is young, but the kid is going to end up one of the best ever to come out of the States.
scoozna
3/19/12 2:25:33PM
This late stoppage prompted a discussion with a friend who is only remotely interested in MMA. He happened to see the fight highlights (ending) somewhere and came to me to talk about it.

While it was obvious that the ref let it go on way too long, I found myself pining for the "old days" of fights. I'm not gonna hijack this thread with a discussion of whether it was "better" or "worse" in the old days, but I did go looking for old fights, and found one that I didn't remember. I submit it for your enjoyment.

Orlando Weit vs. Robert Lucarelli
Bubbles
3/19/12 2:52:37PM

Posted by scoozna

This late stoppage prompted a discussion with a friend who is only remotely interested in MMA. He happened to see the fight highlights (ending) somewhere and came to me to talk about it.

While it was obvious that the ref let it go on way too long, I found myself pining for the "old days" of fights. I'm not gonna hijack this thread with a discussion of whether it was "better" or "worse" in the old days, but I did go looking for old fights, and found one that I didn't remember. I submit it for your enjoyment.

thankfully McCarthy isn't like that anymore. That was brutal
bjj1605
3/19/12 6:19:37PM

Posted by scoozna

Wow...

I don't remember that fight.

Some of the worst grappling I've ever seen.