BENGALS REJECT OFFER FOR CHAD

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » BENGALS REJECT OFFER FOR CHAD
skinnator
4/22/08 4:17:30PM

The Cincinnati Bengals have consistently made it known, publicly and privately, that they will not trade receiver Chad Johnson.

But, nevertheless, an effort has been made to trade for him.

According to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, the Washington Redskins offered a first-round pick in 2008 and another draft pick in 2009 for the disgruntled wideout, who has made his desire to get out of Cincinnati abundantly clear over the past few months.

The 2009 pick actually could escalate to a first-rounder, based on Johnson’s performance in 2008.

Mort points out that it’s not the first time that the Redskins have approached the Bengals, but it’s the ”first significant proposal.”

Here’s our take on all of this — the Bengals should be very concerned about the possibility of tampering. The Redskins have enjoyed over the years a very strong relationship with Drew Rosenhaus, Johnson’s agent. And it is believed by some league observers that Chad’s campaign to be traded arose not from his zeal to wear a new uniform but from his desire to stuff more money into his pockets.

Thus, if the Redskins were willing to make such a strong and specific offer for Johnson, it’s hard not to think that they have an idea as to the contract extension that Johnson (via Rosenhaus) would accept.

And that, of course, would be tampering.

We realize that the reader comments to this item will include some folks suggesting that we quit worrying about tampering, but a situation like this presents the prime example of how unauthorized communications with a player who belongs to another team can undermine that team’s relationship with its player. If no one were interested in trading for (and, presumably, paying) Johnson, then Johnson might quit embarrassing the team (and himself) by providing rambling, pointless interviews that reiterate his desire to play elsewhere. The notion that another team is willing to give him what he wants financially (if that’s what is happening) will serve only to embolden him.

In our view, the fact that the Redskins would be willing to give up so much for a player who clearly has at best impulse control problems and at worse some type of full-blown personality disorder makes us wonder whether the “I want to be traded today, and if not today then tomorrow, and if not tomorrow then the next day” routine is part of a broader wink-nod arrangement that Chad will pretend to be Ocho Psycho in the hopes that the Bengals will finally decide to let him go.

We’re not saying that’s what happening, but it’s hard not to wonder whether that’s what’s happening.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
xposipx
4/22/08 5:14:37PM
Now THAT'S an intelligent way to run a team. They deserve every bit of bad media they receive. Marvin Lewis is a GREAT DC, but just cannot cut it as a HC it seems. I live in Cincinnati and follow the team slightly and the way this team is run is laughable. Glad I'm a Panthers fan
Shawn91111
4/22/08 11:00:03PM

Posted by xposipx

Now THAT'S an intelligent way to run a team. They deserve every bit of bad media they receive. Marvin Lewis is a GREAT DC, but just cannot cut it as a HC it seems. I live in Cincinnati and follow the team slightly and the way this team is run is laughable. Glad I'm a Panthers fan

Actually I applaud the stance they are taking on Chad Johnson. Will it come back to bite them in the ass who knows, but im tired of the players signing contracts then think its their right to be traded to a team in contention. Why let the players run the team
emfleek
4/22/08 11:06:13PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by xposipx

Actually I applaud the stance they are taking on Chad Johnson. Will it come back to bite them in the ass who knows, but im tired of the players signing contracts then think its their right to be traded to a team in contention. Why let the players run the team

To an extent, I agree.

BUT...say he does decide to sit out...what are they getting out of him then? They have/had the opportunity to rid themselves of a known team cancer for TWO high draft picks. I'm no NFL GM or anything (obviously) but to me, it's a no brainer. Get rid of him while you can get something for him. Otherwise, he's sitting and you're getting nothing out of it.
SpiderSilva
4/22/08 11:07:35PM
I see Hushamazozo's numbers going up but he might get less as Ocho Cinco will not be next to him to draw attention away

In the end this will suck for TJ Hushamazozo and Cincy fans
emfleek
4/22/08 11:08:45PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

I see Hushamazozo's numbers going up but he might get less as Ocho Cinco will not be next to him to draw attention away

In the end this will suck for TJ Hushamazozo and Cincy fans

Ha...nice try. It's a bitch to spell, that's for sure. I had to Google it.

Houshmandzadeh
Shawn91111
4/22/08 11:38:18PM
Im not sure if this is correct but I read where if they trade him, the Bengals would take a 8 + million dollar hit on their salary cap because his signing bonus would be accelerated and count against them. Unless someone wants to give them $8 million dollars in cash , the can't financially afford to trade him.

But as far as Chad goes personally I say screw what Chad wants. That is the problem with the NFL and other sports such as the NBA right now. Players want out because of various reasons and the ownership gives in. I like what the Bears did to Lance Briggs last year. He said the same stuff and they called him on his bluff. What did he do...he played the season.

Chad Johnson is a me first type player that is a great athlete with a horrible ego. Let him sit out the season and pout. After he loses his paychecks for a few games, he will be back. Then, ownership can decide if they want to play him or not. He needs to grow up, shut up, and play out his contract.
emfleek
4/23/08 9:13:38AM

Posted by Shawn91111

Im not sure if this is correct but I read where if they trade him, the Bengals would take a 8 + million dollar hit on their salary cap because his signing bonus would be accelerated and count against them. Unless someone wants to give them $8 million dollars in cash , the can't financially afford to trade him.

But as far as Chad goes personally I say screw what Chad wants. That is the problem with the NFL and other sports such as the NBA right now. Players want out because of various reasons and the ownership gives in. I like what the Bears did to Lance Briggs last year. He said the same stuff and they called him on his bluff. What did he do...he played the season.

Chad Johnson is a me first type player that is a great athlete with a horrible ego. Let him sit out the season and pout. After he loses his paychecks for a few games, he will be back. Then, ownership can decide if they want to play him or not. He needs to grow up, shut up, and play out his contract.

Okay, so they keep him and he sits...and they STILL pay the $8 million.