Bench135.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Bench135.
casey64
7/12/07 10:04:42PM
I am playing football in high school.I am a freshman this year.I have only been working out for a month and gained 30lbs on my bench.How could I increase my bench faster.I am using Body Fortress Creatine.I only work out 3 times a week maybe 4.
KillaMed87
7/12/07 10:11:23PM
go to body biulding .com it all depends on what u wana do. Id suggest you do 5x5 training. Basically you do five sets of 5 and every week you add at least 5 pounds....you get to eat a lot too. Its only good if your bulking
Gladiator
7/12/07 10:21:25PM
gaining 30lbs is awesome, and im not trying to bring u down, but when u start benching regularly its pretty typical that u will see results fast and be able to drastically increase ur benching weight for the first 3 months or so. in 3 more months u probably wont be increasing your bench by 30lbs but in my experience the best way to keep increasing ur strength is to do a consistent amount of reps, like 4 sets of 10 or something. but if u keep ur reps consistent then ur endurance will increase faster than if u were to max out and do 1 set of 20 presses.
JGeyer23
7/12/07 10:39:19PM
First of all, nice work on gaining 30 lbs on your bench. Shows that your dedicated and thats the first step..

Just like someone else mentioned, it won't always be as easy to gain that much in a short period of time though.. You will eventually reach a "plateau". Don't worry though because the best way to shatter the plateau and keep gaining is to just change it up. You can't do the same workout with the same number of sets and reps all time time. Your body gets used to it, so it stops adapting and you stop gaining. If your main goal is to add strength, then go with 4-8 reps per set. For example, you could do 3 sets of 8 reps for a couple weeks, then change to 4 sets of 6 reps for a couple weeks, then maybe 5 sets of 5 reps etc. Also remember to change the exercises you do and don't just use barbells.. dumbbells are great and work your core muscles a little more.

Just let me know what your goals are and I can give you some more specific info.. and of course remember to keep bustin your ass

Oh and one last thing.. you don't build muscle by lifting. Lifting just puts stress on the muscle. Muscle is built through your diet and by getting rest.. so just try to maintain a clean diet and get plenty of rest and it'll really pay off
bayonetxwork
7/12/07 10:55:04PM

Posted by casey64

I am playing football in high school.I am a freshman this year.I have only been working out for a month and gained 30lbs on my bench.How could I increase my bench faster.I am using Body Fortress Creatine.I only work out 3 times a week maybe 4.

Do burnouts and negatives. they're a bitch, and help you out a lot. also work other types of benching, because they're more important anyways, IMO, like decline, and incline bench.

oh and use dumbells :;;;
loonytnt
7/13/07 12:58:10AM
i do 3reps 5sets and work your shoulders and back that will help your bench i got a friend that power lift and thats what he does. his 145 and can push 305 so i think he knows what he is doing, thats just to help your max but thats what i think you wanted to get up not how many times you can push it just get it up
lehmkuhl
7/13/07 4:00:30AM
ask your football coach or seniors on the varsity team for help too.
casey64
7/13/07 11:35:11AM
I weigh 165lbs.I am probly going to be a line man.My bench does suck for a big guy but like I said I have only been working out for a month,my first time working out as well.

Bench-135lbs
Leg press-350-450.

When I work out with plates I use a 35lbs on one exercise then go down to a 25lbs plate.
Taylor8766
7/13/07 11:44:12AM
If your max is 135lbs do four main sets, then do 2 hard sets. Start of by doing 90lbs(10x), then add 10lbs and do that (8x), then add ten pounds and do it (6x), then add another ten pounds and push it (4x), then when you get to the hard sets add 10lbs to the 120 that you have on and do that(2x), and then get to your max and do it as many times as you can, this will not only build strengh but endurance as well, and you can also do a mirror down, which is the same weight just when you get to your max go down from 135-120-110-100-90 and this really helps build up strengh
JGeyer23
7/13/07 12:41:14PM
Casey- PM me your workout routine and your specific goals and I'll send you a routine for the rest of the summer.. I've played football for ten years now and I know some pretty good techniques for getting the strength you need as a football player. I've also trained high school football players before so although I'm no expert, I do know a thing or two
JGeyer23
7/13/07 12:49:06PM
actually just shoot me an email and I'll reply as soon as I can..
szucconi
7/13/07 1:51:20PM

Posted by JGeyer23

#57 Justin Geyer LB 5-11 205 Fr. Hamilton, OH/Badin

College of Mount St. Joe D3 football
#23 on the D3 Poll
9-2 on the season
You got in 2 games as a fr. and had 3 solo tackles.

I don't mean to invade you privacy, but it speaks to your credentials. Sound like you know what your talking about. Good luck this season.
lance70301
7/16/07 4:36:37PM
I found what works for me best is to do 3 sets for chest. The 1st set is done 10 reps with weight about 50% max. Your 2nd set is done 8 reps with about 65-75 % max weight. Your last set is done 4-6 with 90 % max weight. Stay strict with your form.
casey64
7/16/07 5:33:27PM
thanks guys for the info.
JGeyer23
7/17/07 12:37:04AM

Posted by szucconi

Posted by JGeyer23

#23 on the D3 Poll
9-2 on the season

I don't mean to invade you privacy, but it speaks to your credentials. Sound like you know what your talking about. Good luck this season.

Nice research szucconi..
Not an impressive year by any standards, but we did have one of the top 5 ranked defenses so there was a lot of competition as a freshman. Should I play next year, I should be taking over as the starter at one of the Inside LB spots. You're probably wondering why I wouldn't play if I had that opportunity, but the reality for us D3 athletes is that we don't get athletic scholarships, so money can become a big issue.. and I may have to take this next year off to work all year instead of just during the off season, unfortunately. But I'll be back..
Violentcuv
7/17/07 12:46:11PM

Posted by JGeyer23

#23 on the D3 Poll
9-2 on the season

Representing OHIO. Love It !!!!!!!!
casey64
7/18/07 12:02:21PM
Thanks for all of your help I have gained 5lbs in less than 4 days following some of your workouts I am know up to 140 on my bench.
keeck
7/20/07 1:01:55PM
Hey thats good for a freshman! I'm a sophmore and I benched about that much last year and all I did was bench every other day (with the rest of my workout) doing 4 sets(10x, 8x, 6x, 4x) and just kept adding weight! Also do incline, close-grip and decline. They help with bench too. I went from about 135 to 235 in about a year without any supplements or protein, so just keep working and you'll get up there!! Good choice of position by the way
casey64
7/22/07 8:52:28PM
Football camp is this week it is gonna be fun I doubt we will lift weights though we will probly be on the field most of the time the thing that sucks is were not full pads