Ben Rothwell is ready for 'The Pit Bull'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Ben Rothwell is ready for 'The Pit Bull'
MMAcca
7/10/08 2:00:24PM
Standing 6-foot-5 and weighing in at 265 pounds, former IFL Heavyweight standout Ben Rothwell is a big man. According to Sherdog.com, he’s also a fighter with a 29-5 overall MMA record that includes 13 straight victories. That said, ask most of your mainstream audience who he is and you’re likely to get a quizzical look followed by a shrug of the shoulders.

However, if he’s able to pull off a victory against former UFC Heavyweight Champion Andrei Arlovski at Affliction: Banned on July 19th that may all change.

LINK
joshryanshepherd
7/10/08 2:11:01PM
" Ben Rothwell is ready for 'The Pit Bull' " - uhhh no hes not! lol
SmileR
7/10/08 2:33:09PM

Posted by joshryanshepherd

I was just going to post the exact same thing!!!!
CantAndleDaRiddum
7/10/08 2:50:26PM

Posted by SmileR

me 3
gartface
7/10/08 2:54:21PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by SmileR

me 3

Is our av bet still on? I hope so
rabbit915
7/10/08 3:49:55PM
Im not picking him to win but Rothwell has a better shot than most people think.
eyeforeigneye
7/10/08 4:02:47PM
The Pitbull will eat him aliveeeeee
xburbx
7/10/08 4:06:01PM
I also agree that Rothwell has a better shot than most give him credit for
wrona666
7/10/08 5:22:12PM
Dont count Rothwell out.....I havent seen an impressive AA for a while now and all its going to take is one good shot from Rothwell to put him down....I wouldnt be suprised to see an upset here....
ncordless
7/10/08 5:26:43PM
Rothwell is going to beat him down worse then that fat kid from Toad Hollar
CantAndleDaRiddum
7/10/08 5:33:34PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by SmileR

me 3

really?
on this fight?

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE say we have an av bet on this fight!
AA will rule Rothwell!
gartface
7/10/08 5:37:43PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by SmileR

me 3

really?
on this fight?

AA will rule Rothwell!

I thought that was the deal about a month ago. I can't send you PMs because you blocked me. But it's official.
War Big Ben!
CantAndleDaRiddum
7/10/08 6:12:49PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by gartface

Posted by SmileR

me 3

really?
on this fight?

AA will rule Rothwell!

I thought that was the deal about a month ago. I can't send you PMs because you blocked me. But it's official.
War Big Ben!

lol i prolly blocked u around the time of that karo argument a while back

but yeah im def down w/ that.....make it last til UFC 87?
MaxOne
7/10/08 6:18:25PM
are they fighting in a ring or a cage?
EON
7/10/08 6:19:50PM

Posted by SmileR

ditto
candynuts
7/10/08 6:24:14PM
Ready for the Pitbull, perhaps. Ready to defeat the PitBull, eh.. not so much IMO.
However, I think the 1st round will be them two jabbing and low kicking at each other and basically using the 1st round as a "feeling out proh-cess" (Because Mauro is doing the announcing) and I think Andrei starts making his move in the 2nd and probably finishes Rothwell late in rd 2 or early in round 3.

I do agree with warona in that I have not been too impressed lately with the style of Arlovski, but perhaps a change in scenery and atmospher might benefit him.
loller90278
7/10/08 6:46:13PM

Posted by MaxOne

ring. and i'm taking big ben on this one. decent hands,decent chin, willing to strike, and has a size advantage.
gartface
7/10/08 7:00:48PM

AA will rule Rothwell!

War Big Ben!

lol i prolly blocked u around the time of that karo argument a while back

but yeah im def down w/ that.....make it last til UFC 87?

deal.
teddythetuna
7/10/08 7:14:02PM
I had Ben to win at first but i think AA has something to prove and will ko Ben sometime in the third
Jackelope
7/10/08 9:04:37PM
I think Rothwell stands somewhat of a chance, but it's hard to compare the names of the opponents faced and leave Rothwell with a chance.
gartface
7/10/08 11:23:14PM

Posted by Jackelope

I think Rothwell stands somewhat of a chance, but it's hard to compare the names of the opponents faced and leave Rothwell with a chance.

Mma isn't played on paper, or should I say fought on paper.
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/11/08 6:45:45AM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by MaxOne

ring. and i'm taking big ben on this one. decent hands,decent chin, willing to strike, and has a size advantage.

definite size advantage... im still quite on the fence about this matchup though
Jackelope
7/11/08 8:26:13AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Jackelope

Mma isn't played on paper, or should I say fought on paper.

Of course it's not. You do have to take into account the caliber of opponents faced, though. If someone has 13 KO's against 13 cans then that means something. Not saying all Rothwell has fought are cans, but Arlovski has fought the bigger names, been on the bigger stages, and scored the bigger wins.
disorderlyvision
7/11/08 12:06:37PM
i got rothwell by decision, the fight could go either way, but i think ben will pull it out against a lackluster AA. andrei really hasnt fought a bunch of big names and the ones he has fought he has had mixed results with. the poeple in this thread not giving rothwell a chance are ridiculous. rothwell is a big tough guy, and i think this fight is actually pretty evenly matched. i could be a little biased as i have never been a big arlovski fan but look at arlovski's record. where does this "he has such an impressive record" come from?

arlovski: 1-2 against sylvia, losses to ricco rodriguez, pedro rizzo, Viacheslav Datsik
notable wins: werdum, Matyushenko, & maybe buentello or o'brien if you think those are notable wins

rothwell has fought less big names, but he has been in there against some tough guys. he is a big strong striker and arlovski seem to be tenative against those types of guys ever since sylvia ko'd him.

AA can pull this out if he is aggressive, but he hasn't been for a loooong time, and i don't expect him to change now. but saying rothwell has "no chance", and "will get killed" and "OMG snicker snicker" get real
gartface
7/11/08 1:08:33PM

Posted by disorderlyvision

i got rothwell by decision, the fight could go either way, but i think ben will pull it out against a lackluster AA. andrei really hasnt fought a bunch of big names and the ones he has fought he has had mixed results with. the poeple in this thread not giving rothwell a chance are ridiculous. rothwell is a big tough guy, and i think this fight is actually pretty evenly matched. i could be a little biased as i have never been a big arlovski fan but look at arlovski's record. where does this "he has such an impressive record" come from?

arlovski: 1-2 against sylvia, losses to ricco rodriguez, pedro rizzo, Viacheslav Datsik
notable wins: werdum, Matyushenko, & maybe buentello or o'brien if you think those are notable wins

rothwell has fought less big names, but he has been in there against some tough guys. he is a big strong striker and arlovski seem to be tenative against those types of guys ever since sylvia ko'd him.

AA can pull this out if he is aggressive, but he hasn't been for a loooong time, and i don't expect him to change now. but saying rothwell has "no chance", and "will get killed" and "OMG snicker snicker" get real

SmileR
7/11/08 2:21:32PM

Posted by disorderlyvision

Thats a very one sided way to look at it. Arlovski has been KO'd before and didn't look at all tentative in the 3rd Sylvia match until he hurt his leg, after then he was fighting world class grapplers who clearly wanted to take him down and grind out boring decisions or sub him so he has a right to be a bit cautious. He still FINISHED 2 of his last 3 fights. I don't get what more you could want!

You want to talk about his losses go ahead Datsik was his first MMA match and he was winning till he got caught with a massive shot!
Rizzo and Rodriguez where top 5 HW when he fought them and he was 22/23.
Sylvia has said on camera he's never been hit as hard as Andrei hit him as well as winning the 1 fight. Not one of them losses is anything to be ashamed about.

As for the way you look at his wins like their nothing to impressive hows being the first man to stop Cabbage in a fight sound?!
The way you breeze over the Buentello is a joke, he was a one of the most feard strikers in MMA at that time and had never been KO'd!
Werdum is a top 5 HW with probably the best BJJ in the devision so whats wrong with wanting to keep the fight standing. He won and he won clearly.

Arlovski's record is impressive! Theirs no way you can down play that fact. He was and still is one of if not the most feared strikers in MMA.

Rothwell regardless of his record has got by on his size, he was gifted a decision win against Big Country and has lost to anyone with a half decent ground game.

I'm not saying he hasn't got a chance or this is in the bag but you need to clear your head and look at the facts. Andrei has a very impressive record. He's the favorite in this fight for a reason. I can't get my head round how you think his fights are lack luster so i'll leave that alone but man come on!! He's got a great record!