Ben Rothwell?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Ben Rothwell?
Twenty20Dollars
7/12/07 9:16:29PM
So i just read an article in espn magazine.

14ko's 10 submissions 7-0 in IFL

My question is, is Ben Rothwell a real contender in the MMA heavyweight division, good enough to compete with UFC heavyweights? if he had the chance. Put him up againest Tim Sylvia.

Nothing personally but I just dont watch the IFL.
babalu2720
7/12/07 9:49:31PM
He's good in the IFL, but he is not the most fast footed, but his strikes are decent. He doesnt have the greatest gas tank and his subs are ok.
Twenty20Dollars
7/12/07 9:55:55PM
so hes only good for the IFL
puppetmaster837
7/12/07 10:33:36PM
He fought Tim Sylvia as his 3rd fight in his career. They went to a decision, so i think he would have a chance since he didnt get knocked out.
Stickan
7/13/07 7:32:25AM
They're team mates now (MFS) so I doubt they'll ever fight each other again. As far as Rothwells skills go I think he'd get a gatekeeper status in the UFC if even that. He'd beat Herring but not Werdum, he'd beat Carmello but not Arlovski etc.
AchillesHeel
7/13/07 10:35:37AM

Posted by Stickan

They're team mates now (MFS) so I doubt they'll ever fight each other again. As far as Rothwells skills go I think he'd get a gatekeeper status in the UFC if even that. He'd beat Herring but not Werdum, he'd beat Carmello but not Arlovski etc.

I agree. Rothwell is certainly UFC-caliber, but without some luck or further improvement (neither of which is impossible, of course) he wouldn't be a Contender. I'd be surprised if he hasn't thought about testing himself in the UFC before he's past his physical prime, but he's also the favorite for the vacant IFL Heavyweight belt.

p.s. Rothwell fought Sylvia once before, as puppetmaster mentioned. Sylvia won, but I haven't seen it, so I don't know if it was a beating or a fight.