On Ben Rothwell.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » On Ben Rothwell.
AchillesHeel
4/3/07 1:34:10PM

So I was watching one of these 2-hr IFL shows, and one of the fights was Ben Rothwell against Matt Thompson. Thompson came into the match 4-1, is actually an inch taller than the 6'5" Rothwell, and was apparently a Golden Gloves heavyweight before moving into MMA. With his boxing skills and size, he was expected to pose a serious challenge for Rothwell, who tends to stand with guys until they fall down. Sure enough, Thompson made it all the way to the 2nd Round, before he fell down. Go, Matt.

"Big Ben" Rothwell is now 21-5, on a roll of 9 consecutive beatings. Of his 21 victories, he's got 14 by (T)KO, 4 by submission due to strikes, 1 by submission due to broken foot, and 2 by submission hold. Of his victories, 19 ended in the first round. Matt Thompson is the first guy in the IFL to make it past 4 minutes with Rothwell.

Looking back over his record, Rothwell has had mixed success against "name" fighters. He has losses to Tim Sylvia almost 6 years ago, to Mike Whitehead almost 5 years ago, and to Dan Christison over 2 years ago (his last loss, incidentally).

Rothwell currently trains with Miletich Fighting Systems, although I don't know how long he's been there. I know some guys really respond to a change of scenery in their training, and it may be that Rothwell has stepped up his game under Miletich's tutelage, training alongside the likes of Tim Sylvia and Matt Hughes.

Personally, I'd love to see him get the chance to step up to either Pride or the UFC. I think he could make some noise in either organization, and with the way he's been kicking the crap out of the IFL heavyweights, I would worry that his development could stall if he doesn't take on a bigger challenge.
themmachamp
4/3/07 3:30:30PM
he's the real deal, IFL ran a story on him today:

http://ifl.tv/News-07Apr03-Uncrowned-Champ.html

there's also a post over at sherdog.net where ben has been posting and answering questions. he seems like a real nice guy, and even said he is content with the IFL and where he is right now because how he is treated. It's pretty interesting and worth a read (if you get past the sherdoggers calling him fat and typical other things trolls say)
AchillesHeel
4/3/07 3:44:26PM
I didn't know the IFL was planning to crown champions. A mini-GP for each weight class could be fun. Maybe by the end of the year, they'll have found someone who can give Rothwell a fight.
ffforgottenx
4/3/07 3:48:24PM
id like to see a rothwell vs whitehead rematch.. whitehead is also on an 8 fight winning streak, including some wins in the IFL.. and i understand he is now a part of the tuscon scorpions (don frye's team), but i think he is fighting at LHW now instead of HW.. maybe it will come together anyway..

other than that, i don't think anybody could give rothwell a whole bunch of trouble anytime soon.. he will probably take the GP at the end of the year
themmachamp
4/5/07 10:12:49AM

Posted by ffforgottenx

id like to see a rothwell vs whitehead rematch.. whitehead is also on an 8 fight winning streak, including some wins in the IFL.. and i understand he is now a part of the tuscon scorpions (don frye's team), but i think he is fighting at LHW now instead of HW.. maybe it will come together anyway..

other than that, i don't think anybody could give rothwell a whole bunch of trouble anytime soon.. he will probably take the GP at the end of the year

i agree, no-one really there to compete with him...but it sure is fun watching him destroy some of these guys. I'm thinking maybe Dan Christison (beat him a few years ago) might be an interesting fight. Although Christison recently got beat up by Soszynski
AchillesHeel
4/9/07 12:17:56PM

Posted by themmachamp

i agree, no-one really there to compete with him...but it sure is fun watching him destroy some of these guys. I'm thinking maybe Dan Christison (beat him a few years ago) might be an interesting fight. Although Christison recently got beat up by Soszynski

Yeah, they didn't even show that fight on the television broadcast, just a few seconds of highlights.
pv3Hpv3p
4/9/07 4:00:59PM
From what it sounded like when TJ and Josh interviewed Ben and Militech... They are hoping that after crowning the IFL GP champs, they can start inviting top notch competitors over for superfights and so on...

As a side not: Pat said that Ben was easily in the top 3 hvy's in the world. Do you guys think that Pat would put Tim on that list with him?