Ben Henderson to compete in ADCC 2013

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Ben Henderson to compete in ADCC 2013
tepid55
8/25/13 11:01:49PM
I just read that Ben Henderson will compete in the -77kg division at this year's ADCC championships. I think he's one of the favorites to win the division.
DosBox
8/25/13 11:21:21PM
Definitely has a chance considering Marcelo isnt competing, nor is Moraes. Vieira might win, but Benson has a shot.
UFC_Fanatic
8/26/13 4:36:13AM
I like it. I think a lot more ufc fighters should do this if presented the opportunity. I've always found myself pondering "I wonder how so-and-so would do in ADCC? Too bad I'll never get to find out". Props to Bendo for wanting to test himself against the best of the best in the realm of grappling.
DeadHead988
8/26/13 6:32:39PM
Bendo's one of my favorite fighters and he's crazy skilled, but anyone who thinks he even has a shot of winning doesn't realize how different high level grappling is than mma. It's a feat in itself that he qualified and I commend him for it, but the majority of that division, particularly guys like Leo Viera, would run a seminar on him.
tepid55
8/26/13 6:57:26PM
Leo Vieira hasn't won gold at ADCC since 2005.
DosBox
8/27/13 2:54:20AM

Posted by tepid55

Leo Vieira hasn't won gold at ADCC since 2005.

To be fair though, he got 2nd in the 77kg category in 2011, only losing to Marcelo Garcia - one of the best ever.

DosBox
8/27/13 3:07:00AM

Posted by DeadHead988

Bendo's one of my favorite fighters and he's crazy skilled, but anyone who thinks he even has a shot of winning doesn't realize how different high level grappling is than mma. It's a feat in itself that he qualified and I commend him for it, but the majority of that division, particularly guys like Leo Viera, would run a seminar on him.

I agree for the most part. Benson still actively competes in sub grappling tournaments even while under contract with the UFC, and I dont think he beats Vieira, or even Octavio Souza. That being said, the 77kg is pretty weak as of right now, with no Moraes, Garcia, Gracie, etc (hopefully they can get some more quality guys).

As of right now, I think he could still medal in the tournament, especially with a favorable bracket. For instance, K-Taro Nakamura grappled for 3rd place in 2009 in a field with Gregor and Kron Gracie, Popovich, Garcia, Leo Santos, and even Askren.
Interested to see what other additions they have though.

postman
8/27/13 11:17:14AM
Everyone loves the idea until some cat from Brazil puts him out for a year.
tepid55
8/27/13 2:19:52PM
I just looked up some information on Otavio Souza, and I'm not sure how well he's going to do without the gi.