Ben Askren Officially a Restricted Free Agent

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Ben Askren Officially a Restricted Free Agent
jjeans
8/3/13 1:01:20PM
It looks like another Bellator champion is on the market after completing his contract, following in the footsteps of Hector Lombard and Eddie Alvarez. According to CEO Bjorn Rebney, welterweight king Ben Askren is no longer obligated to any action under the organization’s flag after finishing his original deal with a successful defense at Bellator 97.

Askren is currently in a period of exclusive negotiations with Bellator and isn’t completely free to explore all of his options.

LINK
traveller77
8/3/13 1:57:26PM
Dana, DO NOT sign this guy untill he develops a real MMA game. If you cant finish a totally beat fighter you dont belong in the UFC (yet)
DrivenDavies15
8/3/13 2:24:17PM
Bellator will probably re-sign him, I don't see the UFC being too interested in him. Even though he is a phenomenal wrestler, fans don't get very excited when he fights. Although I'd love to see how he matches up with more well rounded guys in the UFC instead of easily beating everyone outside of it, I doubt it will happen.
sparky
8/3/13 2:36:05PM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Bellator will probably re-sign him, I don't see the UFC being too interested in him. Even though he is a phenomenal wrestler, fans don't get very excited when he fights. Although I'd love to see how he matches up with more well rounded guys in the UFC instead of easily beating everyone outside of it, I doubt it will happen.

What he said ^
Wallass
8/3/13 2:36:15PM

Posted by traveler77

Dana, DO NOT sign this guy untill he develops a real MMA game. If you cant finish a totally beat fighter you dont belong in the UFC (yet)

He just finished his last two "totally beat fighters". I was very impressed with the ease at which he dominated the last two guys and whether he's one dimensional or not he'd still beat some guys in the top ten in the UFC's welterweight division.
JLS1980
8/3/13 2:36:45PM
Even though he's not exciting to watch, he'd probably handle 90 percent of the UFC's WW.
grappler0000
8/3/13 2:53:15PM
I'd pay to see Askren/Maia.
traveller77
8/3/13 3:13:52PM

Posted by grappler0000

I would'nt mind seeing that too, a couple losses would do Askren a lot of good, force him to develop a complete game. I cant think of anyone in Bellator that has more than a punchers chance against him .
jae_1833
8/3/13 3:23:01PM
This isn't Alvarez, the money the UFC will offer him probably would be countered by Bellator. The only reason the UFC would nab him up is because of his skills, basically it would thin out their competitor's roster.
UFC_Fanatic
8/3/13 3:29:27PM

Posted by Wallass

Posted by traveler77

He just finished his last two "totally beat fighters". I was very impressed with the ease at which he dominated the last two guys and whether he's one dimensional or not he'd still beat some guys in the top ten in the UFC's welterweight division.

Yeah, he could certainly beat a few top 10 at WW. Not all of them, but a few. Looking at MMAweekly's top 10 I'd certainly pick him for sure over Kampmann via wrestling him to death. After that there are a few winnable matches for him, like vs Lawler, and MAYBE Condit just because Condit doesn't have the greatest TDD in the world. Still, I think he'd benefit from more time developing in Bellator. Regardless of whether or not he's well rounded yet, you can't really deny that the guy has shown remarkable improvement in his last 2 fights. If he continues to improve like he has been lately he could become a true force to be reckoned with sooner rather than later.
DeadHead988
8/3/13 3:53:04PM

Posted by grappler0000

I think Maia would work him. Askren's in for a rude awakening if he wants to face him on the mat and Maia's striking is far superior too.
jjeans
8/3/13 3:57:10PM
Given the fact he's not as popular as Alvarez and doesn't have as big of a fan base as Alvarez I can't see the UFC going to court for him.

That said I could see him offered a unique deal. 25k signing bonus, 20k to show, no win bonus for a decision victory, 30k for a finish. I think Bellator would happily counter that offer as well.

People saying he should mix up his game are right and wrong. Yes there is no doubt he's boring and unexciting, but whilst he's been at Bellator he has faced nobody who could handle it and he's living in the mental state that nobody can handle his wrestling. That's a good thing.

If the UFC was to sign him I'd love to see him fight Koscheck, Pierce, Hendicks (if he losses) or Woodley, guys who released only wrestling could get them so far. If he outgrapples them, throw him Maia. If he survives with Maia we might be onto a serious contender.

If he stays at Bellator it's very likely we'll have a wrestler in MMA who goes something like 20-0 but is one dimensional as hell.
prozacnation1978
8/3/13 4:01:02PM
Does the UFC really want another Jon Fitch
ncordless
8/3/13 4:01:53PM
Ben still has a long way to go with his game if he wants to, but he is easily the greatest positional grappler in the history of the sport. The only way anyone is ever going to beat him is if they are able to keep it on the feet. I've seen Askren pull mount before just to get to the ground because he will be on top position within 15 seconds.

Askren's got good takedowns, but that's never been the strongpoint of his wrestling game. There are fighters who could keep it on the feet with Askren, but anyone who starts to scramble with him will lose an mma fight.

Webbie
8/3/13 4:13:54PM
It won't hurt my feelings at all if he resigns with Bellator.
airkerma
8/3/13 4:55:21PM

Posted by grappler0000

I enjoy watching him fight, the pure mastery of the grappling is mesmerizing.
SpiderSilva
8/3/13 5:06:34PM
I need to know how good he is. I know he is boring but I would pick him over 98% if not more than that of the current UFC roster. I hope the UFC signs him
Webbie
8/3/13 6:02:02PM
I actually take back my last comment.

I'd like to see him in the UFC, because I'd like to see him fight against an opponent who has proven against top competition that they have great takedown defense. I'm tired of watching him (or not watching him) fight against guys that really give us no idea of how good Askren may be.

Let's see him fight some real competition. Why waste any more time?
infestructure
8/3/13 6:53:56PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Does the UFC really want another Jon Fitch

Fuck that shit
Chael_Sonnen
8/3/13 7:13:30PM
A lot of guys can be fighters but only one can be champion and Ben is wired a bit differently, but that's the way it goes.

Grease SP
Johny
Rory
Whomever.....he beats all three

**Just to get the inevitable over with, Dana should just FedEx Funk-Master HIS belt.
prophecy033
8/3/13 7:16:58PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

A lot of guys can be fighters but only one can be champion and Ben is wired a bit differently, but that's the way it goes.

Grease SP
Johny
Rory
Whomever.....he beats all three

**Just to get the inevitable over with, Dana should just FedEx Funk-Master HIS belt.

ASSkren will never hold UFC gold
Dberntson
8/3/13 9:06:09PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by grappler0000

I enjoy watching him fight, the pure mastery of the grappling is mesmerizing.

This. I would like to see him in the UFC.
Dberntson
8/3/13 9:08:21PM
Also, I get tired of people complaining of Askren's (or any other wrestler's) on dimensional style, but then love one dimensional strikers like Hardy, Daley, etc
tmas
8/4/13 1:05:49AM
an opportunity to take your rivals champion????

100% you do it every time even if he isnt going to be very good or exciting to watch in your org. He is their champ you have to go after him smart business.
RhythmAndStyle
8/4/13 1:25:24PM
he wont be signing with UFC anytime soon..Dana already released Fitch, so why would he sign another poorer version of Fitch?..i'm guessing he either ends up with WSOF or back with Bellator...
BillsNewAccount
8/4/13 6:56:42PM
Judging by Ben and Dana's twitter tiff I imagine Ben won't get signed by the UFC which is horse shit. He's an undefeated prospect that has dominated every fight he has been in.

I also think Ben is more entertaining than GSP. GSP has better ground and pound but he just tries to hold his opponent down where as Funky Ben will transition umpteen times with moves rarely seen in mma.

Everyone says GSP breaks guys but Ben made both his last opponents give up. I can't remember the last fighter GSP truly broke but I think it was BJ who is half GSP's size.

Ben deserves to be in the best organization in the world but Dana treats the UFC like his personal fucking tree house.
DosBox
8/5/13 12:32:12AM
I am high on Askren. His wrestling translates extremely well in MMA for the most part. He isnt the type of wrestler that abandons when he cant finish a double/single - but rather uses his transitional/chain wrestling extremely well. He wont be as positionally dominant once he faces better competition - but he could definitely stifle the likes of Hendricks/Ellenberger, etc.