Ben Askren

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Ben Askren
gartface
10/22/10 1:37:11PM
What do you think of this guy's development? He still seems really raw, but he has only seven mixed martial arts bouts under his belt. I have seen a lot of hatred for him lately, and one of the main examples was on the Wikipedia page when I saw the result from last night posted as "Unanimous Decision(dryhumping)."

I like his grappling skills, and I think he's going to be a force, and already is from a wrestling standpoint.
jae_1833
10/22/10 3:14:41PM
I like him, he's got an original style of wrestling that is obviously highly effective, would like to see him improve his GNP/dominant position submissions for some finishes but otherwise he's great. Bread and butter guy who is humble and lets people know that he isn't forgetting where he comes from or what skillset he has that has made him so successful.
gartface
10/22/10 3:25:11PM

Posted by jae_1833

I like him, he's got an original style of wrestling that is obviously highly effective, would like to see him improve his GNP/dominant position submissions for some finishes but otherwise he's great. Bread and butter guy who is humble and lets people know that he isn't forgetting where he comes from or what skillset he has that has made him so successful.

Glad to see this reaction. There seemed to be some backlash after the Ryan Thomas fight and now with him grinding out opponents. I like the guy quite a bit. He absolutely dominated Lyman Good.
kopower
10/22/10 5:41:43PM
His takedowns look effortless many times. Will be interesting to see his well his striking improves in his next few fights. If people have to start respecting his stand up, that will just open up his takedowns that much more.
Cdellorso
10/22/10 11:32:37PM
Wonder how long before he kos someone and abandons wrestling like sherk did....
postman
10/23/10 11:06:43AM
I heard they stood him up from mount tell me this isn't true?
Chael_Sonnen
10/24/10 2:42:19AM

Posted by postman

Oh, it's very true....bad reffing.
gartface
10/28/10 10:07:07AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by postman

Oh, it's very true....bad reffing.

Absolutely. Same crap that lost Roy Nelson his fight with Arlovski. Only two times I've seen someone stood up from side mount or mount.
State_Champ
10/28/10 10:49:43AM
I like Askren but I have heard he doesn't even train his GnP and, from what I've seen of his fights, I'm incline to believe it.

If "Funky" would work his BJJ and GnP more then I would like him even better. But even now I do certainly appreciate his awesome wrestling!
cowcatcher
10/28/10 10:58:43AM
hes completely one dimensional, but that one dimension is working in the minor leagues and hes just a baby in the sport so he should only get better. i think his ceiling is pretty high considering how little experience he has.