What belt rank does your school require to compete in MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » What belt rank does your school require to compete in MMA?
« Previous Page
Joemoplata
6/30/09 2:54:06PM
I don't disagree with that, the only way to do it is, well...to do it. Of course, this is true. But as coaches and instructors, it's our job to make sure they're ready is all I'm saying. Throwing a fighter to the wolves in some event so that the event promoter can improve the record of one of this stable of fighters isn't exactly what I have in mind for getting guys ready to fight.

An amateur record is a negotiating item when moving the fighter into the pro rankings. If you got a guy who went 20-0 in his amateur career, you can probably negotiate a better purse for him than a guy that is 0-8. That's all I'm saying, it doesn't matter once they go pro to some degree unless they continue to remain undefeated for a long stretch. And then that becomes all part of the story.

And don't get me wrong dude, I'm not saying your school doesn't have a good repuation. I don't know anything about you or your school. But for someone shopping around the statisics of the fighters should matter. Would you agree with that?
telnights
6/30/09 6:02:37PM

Posted by Joemoplata

I don't disagree with that, the only way to do it is, well...to do it. Of course, this is true. But as coaches and instructors, it's our job to make sure they're ready is all I'm saying. Throwing a fighter to the wolves in some event so that the event promoter can improve the record of one of this stable of fighters isn't exactly what I have in mind for getting guys ready to fight.

An amateur record is a negotiating item when moving the fighter into the pro rankings. If you got a guy who went 20-0 in his amateur career, you can probably negotiate a better purse for him than a guy that is 0-8. That's all I'm saying, it doesn't matter once they go pro to some degree unless they continue to remain undefeated for a long stretch. And then that becomes all part of the story.

And don't get me wrong dude, I'm not saying your school doesn't have a good repuation. I don't know anything about you or your school. But for someone shopping around the statisics of the fighters should matter. Would you agree with that?

Well yes I agree statistics do matter but not at the amateur level. You have to remember fights happen everywhere even in gyms across the nation. Don't need a promoter for amateur fight. Its the managers job to sale the fighter to promoters in Pro fights and 90% of the time managers make up their fighters amateurs records and even the fighters do this a lot as well. I have been to a ton of shows where they claimed some local guy had 40 amateur fights with 0 losses. Now not saying just toss a guy in there with a pro fighter I would never do that and even said that in my first post. But some guys come in wanting to fight thinking they are ready and it helps them and me know where they stand. I have seen way to many guys train for 2-3 years then finally have their first real fight and then realize this isn't for them. The funny part is about 70% of the guys I have seen this from won their fights. That's why I say either you have that fighter mentality or you don't. Now don't get me wrong I wouldn't ever stick any of my fighters in a place that's unsafe or not controlled. Now if we had kids in our school I would review this but we only train fighters over 18. Now we have another school that's for younger people but because we have a lot of Pro's in the gym its not the best place for kids. I like working with the kids more than any of the adults because most kids don't have egos yet.
Joemoplata
6/30/09 11:25:58PM

Posted by telnights

Well yes I agree statistics do matter but not at the amateur level. You have to remember fights happen everywhere even in gyms across the nation. Don't need a promoter for amateur fight. Its the managers job to sale the fighter to promoters in Pro fights and 90% of the time managers make up their fighters amateurs records and even the fighters do this a lot as well. I have been to a ton of shows where they claimed some local guy had 40 amateur fights with 0 losses. Now not saying just toss a guy in there with a pro fighter I would never do that and even said that in my first post. But some guys come in wanting to fight thinking they are ready and it helps them and me know where they stand. I have seen way to many guys train for 2-3 years then finally have their first real fight and then realize this isn't for them. The funny part is about 70% of the guys I have seen this from won their fights. That's why I say either you have that fighter mentality or you don't. Now don't get me wrong I wouldn't ever stick any of my fighters in a place that's unsafe or not controlled. Now if we had kids in our school I would review this but we only train fighters over 18. Now we have another school that's for younger people but because we have a lot of Pro's in the gym its not the best place for kids. I like working with the kids more than any of the adults because most kids don't have egos yet.

Yeah, that does seem to be the way of it for the most part. I get where you're coming from.
Pages: 1 [2]