What belt rank does your school require to compete in MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » What belt rank does your school require to compete in MMA?
Next Page »
MastaChance
1/25/07 12:07:56PM
I train at Creighton MMA, I also have been training at Sam Chong Sa Martial Arts since I was 14. I had my MMA debut through Sam Chong Sa, so I mentioned it to my Trainer at Creighton, and he said no, I need to obtain a blue belt in BJJ beforew I compete. Which he reassured me I would have my Am debut and blue betl within the next 8 months. Then he told me that a rival school of ours usually makes you wait til your a purple belt before you fight MMA, is this happening with anyone else, just trying to find out if it's normal or not, thanks.

Chance
Omega
1/25/07 3:25:03PM
Blue belt in BJJ? What if you don't do BJJ. That's interesting. I never require rank, just the capability to fight intellegently.
MastaChance
1/25/07 4:09:54PM

Posted by Omega

Blue belt in BJJ? What if you don't do BJJ. That's interesting. I never require rank, just the capability to fight intellegently.

Man I wish I lived in Cali.
Red_Elvis
1/25/07 10:15:23PM
Sounds odd to me. If you can fight then what the hell?
MastaChance
1/26/07 3:41:55PM

Posted by Red_Elvis

Sounds odd to me. If you can fight then what the hell?

That's how I feel, but Paul has fought in the UFC, so he knows what he is talking about.
crimethinc
1/26/07 8:27:37PM
I think that may just be your individual coach giving a belt requirement before allowing fighters to fight with his endorsement. All the cross-discipline gyms offering MMA programs I've come across don't even have a ranking system. If the coaches think you are ready and you are comfortable they will start letting you fight. It may be different at a purely BJJ school I don't know, the Grappling coach at Finney's, St. Louis MO, is UFC vet Steve Berger so it is more submission wrestling then actual BJJ so my traditional Jiu Jitsu knowledge is somewhat limited.
Jeffanori-Gomi
1/26/07 9:26:04PM

Posted by MastaChance

I train at Creighton MMA, I also have been training at Sam Chong Sa Martial Arts since I was 14. I had my MMA debut through Sam Chong Sa, so I mentioned it to my Trainer at Creighton, and he said no, I need to obtain a blue belt in BJJ beforew I compete. Which he reassured me I would have my Am debut and blue betl within the next 8 months. Then he told me that a rival school of ours usually makes you wait til your a purple belt before you fight MMA, is this happening with anyone else, just trying to find out if it's normal or not, thanks.

Chance

Theres no requirment for BJJ by any atheletic commission, your teacher prolly thinks your ground game is weak and needs work before you give er! (no offence)

Reignofterror
1/28/07 5:23:02PM
No rank required, I started off doing Muay Thai before MMA but other than that nill. I think MMA's a complex sport and for you to require a belt in on specific art seems pretty lame.
MastaChance
1/29/07 1:22:08PM
Yeah my ground game is'nt the best but it is getting there, I guess I am catching on quick, because he told me I will have my Blue Belt by likt sept. Which will make only 9 months that I have trained, so that's cool with me, my first MMA fighht is supposed to be around that time as well. Thanks for all the input everyone It is appreciated.
Gladiator
1/30/07 12:26:22PM
are u talking like an mma league in school?! thats awesome! the closest thing my school has to mma is wrestling.
mgalli
1/30/07 4:18:45PM
Well, at Joslin's you have to have 15 boxing/kickboxing classes and 15 BJJ/submission wrestling classes to train in the MMA class. Don't think there is a belt requirement to actually compete though.
MastaChance
1/31/07 1:51:34PM

Posted by Gladiator

are u talking like an mma league in school?! thats awesome! the closest thing my school has to mma is wrestling.

Not a league, but he is the only person that I have came across who has a belt ranking system for the MMA program, which goes hand in hand with the BJJ program, so you are at the same level with your strikes that you are with your grappling.
Gladiator
1/31/07 4:58:00PM
hang on im confused are u talking about martial arts school or like HIGH school, like the place u get a diploma from. cuz if ur talking about a jiu-jitsu school then its wierd they require u to have a belt rank to fight... but if ur talking about mma in edu school then TELL ME WHERE U GO CUZ I WANT TO JOIN THE TEAM!
SteedTheDeed
2/5/07 11:58:08PM
its always up to the trainer and how well you progress.
MastaChance
2/6/07 12:15:59PM

Posted by Gladiator

hang on im confused are u talking about martial arts school or like HIGH school, like the place u get a diploma from. cuz if ur talking about a jiu-jitsu school then its wierd they require u to have a belt rank to fight... but if ur talking about mma in edu school then TELL ME WHERE U GO CUZ I WANT TO JOIN THE TEAM!

No it is an MMA Academy, we can fight in BJJ whatever rANK WE PLEASE, OR WE CAN DO mUAY tHAI WHENEVER WE THINK WE'RE READY, BUT WE HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL WE HAVE A bLUE bELT TO DO mma COMPS.
ordean
2/26/07 11:39:30AM
Belts are for holding up pants. I can see the instructors point in that he doesn't want to throw you too the wolves too early but requiring a certain rank to fight is just silly IMO.
MastaChance
2/26/07 1:25:17PM

Posted by ordean

Belts are for holding up pants. I can see the instructors point in that he doesn't want to throw you too the wolves too early but requiring a certain rank to fight is just silly IMO.

I guess we'll know when I get in the ring huh?
ryderstrong69
3/24/07 9:30:43AM
grappling concepts iin missouri the same way and i think a person should have some kind of expernce, the gym use to be with all the guys with no back ground pretty much had to quit becaus the guys with prior judo jj and wrestling or even boxing and tkd experence were pretty much just using us as punching bags it wasnt fun and all we were learning was how to get our asses kicked
Jiu-Jitsu101
6/17/09 5:27:58PM
Yeah their shoudlnt be a belt level required to fight we have plenty of guys at are gym who fight but they recommend blue belts and above i think
The_Ho_Bag
6/18/09 11:25:59AM
that's dumb tbh i had 3 year KB: 2 months wrestling: 3 months of BJJ + a few BJJ tourneys and fought MMA
Joemoplata
6/18/09 11:28:37AM
This isn't that unusual of a request from a BJJ school.

A Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu school's reputation is based on it's fighters performances on the mat and in the ring. In the ring, there is an expectation that a fighter coming from a BJJ school is going to know what they are doing on the ground. So, regardless of how good your standup skills may be they are going to expect you to have a basic understanding of their particular game before going out and representing their name. And blue belt is a recognition of that, that you have a basic understanding of the game.

Does it translate directly to MMA? No, not necessarily. But it does translate to the schools reputation if you go out and get tapped in 10 seconds by a school that does not specialize in BJJ.
artofdefense
6/29/09 12:40:42PM
It's not required...but if you want to have success against ANYONE with any kind of JJ background you will want what most schools would rank at blue belt level sub defense.

By this is mean, you should be able to pre-emptively(sp, I know) recognize and defend the more basic submissions with little to no strength involved, techniqu only.

Examples: You may not be ready if:

Your only answer to armbars and triangles is trying to stand and slam out.

Your guard gets passed with much regularity by anyone not above blue belt.

You EVER get caught in guillotines

You try to hold a guard when someone stands over you

You don't immediately get overhooks/underhooks when transitioning.

These are the mistakes most blue belts don't make, and these may be some of the things he wants you to work on.
Joemoplata
6/29/09 12:52:14PM

Posted by artofdefense

It's not required...but if you want to have success against ANYONE with any kind of JJ background you will want what most schools would rank at blue belt level sub defense.

By this is mean, you should be able to pre-emptively(sp, I know) recognize and defend the more basic submissions with little to no strength involved, techniqu only.

Examples: You may not be ready if:

Your only answer to armbars and triangles is trying to stand and slam out.

Your guard gets passed with much regularity by anyone not above blue belt.

You EVER get caught in guillotines

You try to hold a guard when someone stands over you

You don't immediately get overhooks/underhooks when transitioning.

These are the mistakes most blue belts don't make, and these may be some of the things he wants you to work on.

Excellent breakdown!
Svartorm
6/29/09 1:01:39PM
"EVER" is a bit harsh on guillotines, but otherwise I agree. Like Joe said, good breakdown.
Joemoplata
6/29/09 3:10:46PM

Posted by Svartorm

"EVER" is a bit harsh on guillotines, but otherwise I agree. Like Joe said, good breakdown.

Phew....I'm glad someone said that!

I like to play half guard, all right! IT'S NOT MY FAULT!!

Stupid guillotines.....
Jackelope
6/29/09 9:03:47PM
LOL, seriously.. I've got a long and skinny neck.. gimme a break! I'm allowed one or two
king_katool
6/29/09 9:15:16PM
thats really weird, i know my local gym requires you to have 40 classes in a standing and ground Martial Art, like 40 boxing and 40 BJJ or 40 kickboxing and 40 wrestling, this is Jeff Joslins Gym
telnights
6/29/09 11:58:06PM
I don't have a problem letting any guy who thinks he can hang jumping in to a fight as long as it isn't a pro fighter he is fighting and isn't a pro fight. I feel it lets them know where the stand in training and in the fight world. You get a lot of guys coming in wanting to be fighters and fighting lets them know if this is for them. Guys that really want to fight don't care if the loss they just want to fight and its lets me know real fast what type of person they are. Now I don't force this on the guys at all but if the ask I don't stop them.
Joemoplata
6/30/09 11:35:21AM

Posted by telnights

I don't have a problem letting any guy who thinks he can hang jumping in to a fight as long as it isn't a pro fighter he is fighting and isn't a pro fight. I feel it lets them know where the stand in training and in the fight world. You get a lot of guys coming in wanting to be fighters and fighting lets them know if this is for them. Guys that really want to fight don't care if the loss they just want to fight and its lets me know real fast what type of person they are. Now I don't force this on the guys at all but if the ask I don't stop them.

I understand your point, but that's not really looking out for the best interest of your fighter or your school as a business. A figher is only as good as his record, his options for getting a good pay day eventually are dictated solely by what sits in his wins and losses column. Yes, a fighter just wants to fight. But his manager and/or coach needs to help guide them along their path as a fighter.

And from a business perspective, if I want to attract quality guys to my gym I need to show that I can coach winners. Having a bunch of fighters with 0-3 amateur records is not going to show well for your school.
telnights
6/30/09 1:37:59PM

Posted by Joemoplata
I understand your point, but that's not really looking out for the best interest of your fighter or your school as a business. A figher is only as good as his record, his options for getting a good pay day eventually are dictated solely by what sits in his wins and losses column. Yes, a fighter just wants to fight. But his manager and/or coach needs to help guide them along their path as a fighter.

And from a business perspective, if I want to attract quality guys to my gym I need to show that I can coach winners. Having a bunch of fighters with 0-3 amateur records is not going to show well for your school.

Amateur record mean nothing at all in the real world. I have been in this game since 94 and what matters is your pro record. No one even tracks amateur fights as its impossible to do so. You can make up a amateur record and there is no way to find out if your being truthful or not now days. The old days of tough man contest have now turned in to MMA events. The school I teach at doesn't have any problems with our rep and is known as the best school in this state. We have had some big name fighters come out of the school and that says a lot more than someone's amateur record that no one even knows anyway. There is no way of teaching someone what its truly like to fight other than them getting in there and doing it. You can train all day long but till you get in there you don't know how your going to react. I don't want a guy spending 1000s training with us just to find out this isn't for him.
Pages: [1] 2