Top 10 Most beloved fighters in MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Top 10 Most beloved fighters in MMA
Next Page »
Manfred
7/17/07 3:44:52PM
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and you are welcome to agree, disagree, or outright flame me. This is about who is the most LOVED, of all time,not who's the best, and not a flash in the pan

10. Renzo Gracie: While it may have been Royce who originally showed the world Gracie Jui-Jitsu and impacted the early days of MMA more than any other fighter, it has been his cousin Renzo who has emerged in recent years as the unofficial ambassador of MMA's first family. One of the few Gracies to not only be open to new techniques, but also didn't demand special rules back when the Gracies' could demand pretty much anything. A class act in victory or defeat, he is one of the few guys who can talk about a NC due to "crowd rioting" without sounding like a thug.

9. BJ Penn: Widely regarded as one of the most talented and skilled MMA fighters ever, BJ showed fans another side during TUF 5. With a good sense of humor and insanely confident, even his haters know that when he's in shape, he's all but unstoppable.

8. Don Frye: As one of the few early UFC stars to be multi-talented, Frye quickly made an impact on MMA. His gruff voice and tough guy humor always makes fans laugh, and his fights always have us at the edge of our seats. His 'hockey fight' with with Takayama is still talked about 5 years later and his "Dear Don" column is nothing short of pure comedy.

7. Chuck Liddell: Before that fateful night last May, legions of "TUF noobs" swore by his invincibility. While the casual fan may be ridiculed by the Sherdog and UG forum Gods, nobody can dispute their impact on the recent explosion of MMA. Chuck hardly ever goes to a decision, his HL reel is second to none, he's got a great nickname, a beer gut and cool mohawk.

6. Wanderlei Silva: A gentle family man when not near a ring, the "Axe Murderer" took on anyone and everyone remotely close to 99 kg. in the PRIDE ring. His fights with such greats as Sakuraba, Hunt, Rampage and Arona to name a few were nothing short of epic. His staredown could scare most men into a coma and his thai knees could put a horse in the same state. Even after back-to-back losses, hardcore fans still pitch a tent at the thought of him finally fighting Chuck.

5. Fedor Emelianenko: He might look like your average Uncle Dave at a family BBQ, with his pudgy build, easy demeanor and calm smile; but he rips through competition like a redneck goes though Budweiser. The most dominant champion in history is also respectful and never has a bad word for any opponent. He easily won the most cheers at PRIDE first US show and outside the US, is probably the most loved MMA fighter.

4. Kazushi Sakuraba: Not everyone can beat four Gracies. Saku made his name doing it. His unorthodox techniques and exciting style won him instant fans and hero status among his fellow Japanese. His first fight with Royce went 90 minutes and he went on to fight Igor Vovchanchyn the same night. Always the showman, his antics outside side the ring were as entertaining as his fights.

3. Quinton Jackson Known to MMA fans as probably the funniest fighter today, Rampage is not only entertaining to watch fight, but to listen to in interviews. With his recent KO of Chuck Liddell, he's on the fast track to celebrity status in the US and that will lead to more of his favorite thing: Cheddah

2. Bas Rutten: The original color commentator for PRIDE, "El Guapo" gained fans with his knowledge, humor, and even his imperfect English. A devastating fighter in his own right, he was one of a only a few fighters with the cajones to publicly challenge the great Rickson Gracie. His short-lived comeback last year before succumbing to "father time" only reminded us of his greatness

1. Randy Couture: Always the underdog, Randy has repeatedly beat the odds and silenced his critics. His game-planning, skills, athleticism and drive have led him to be the first and only UFC champion in two weght classes. When not fighting, he contributes to the MMA cause by being a great ambassador for the sport. His recent dismantling of Tim Sylvia at the age of 43 gained him his 5th UFC title and a reminder that you can never count him out.

EDIT: Since this is Top 10 and frankly I'm too lazy to type up another 10, here are some Honorable Mentions:
-Shogun
- Big Nog
- Cro Cop
- Tito
- GSP
- Igor Vovchanchyn
- Yamamoto
- Genki Sudo
- Nick Diaz
- Joe Lauzon
- Fill in your favorite
Mastodon2
7/17/07 3:57:07PM
Renzo Gracie made the list and Cro Cop didnt?
Manfred
7/17/07 3:59:34PM
I thought about CC, but he's really not that well liked. He has plenty of haters, esp. in the US after his disappointing loss to GG. If he had kicked Gabe's head into the crownd like he was supposed to, he might have more fans
Mastodon2
7/17/07 4:07:04PM
I dunno, people are wild about him here in Europe and they love him in Japan. I think anyone who enjoys K-1 probably loves seeing him in MMA too.
SpiderSilva
7/17/07 4:07:29PM
What about GSP everyone loves GSP
Dana White love Chuck so Dana can make him #1
Manfred
7/17/07 4:09:36PM
Like I said in the disclaimer, this is just my opinion. Regarding GSP, he probably would be on the list if it weren't for his post-Serra excuses/comments. I think he lost some fans with that interview.
grappler0000
7/17/07 4:42:56PM
Great list...while I'm sure my list would be slightly different, the logic behind your selections is tough to debate.
Chris_Keppel
7/17/07 4:53:06PM
Yeah, a lot of people hate on my fighter Cro Cop after Gonzaga, who I have a strong distaste for, beat him.

The bandwagon people show their true colors when stuff like that happens.

Everybody loves GSP lol

"That handsome little canadian ******!" - some fat guy on youtube.

Comical.
pv3Hpv3p
7/17/07 5:11:19PM
Nice thread Manfred...

But no Shamrock brothers? No Nick Diaz? And where the hell is Tito??

In all reality, I would have put Saku as #1, but it'd be a close tie with Randy... Those two and Wand I want to see win every time they fight...

And I can't help but consider Genki Sudo one of the most likeable fighters around...

Just my $0.02, good list though
SpiderSilva
7/17/07 5:38:29PM
Cro Cop will never be on this list if he cant even get himself motivated to fight
Mastodon2
7/17/07 6:44:10PM
Cant get himself motivated to fight? The guy has been fighting non-stop in K-1 and MMA for the last 12 years
Northrend
7/17/07 8:03:54PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Nice thread Manfred...

But no Shamrock brothers? No Nick Diaz? And where the hell is Tito??

In all reality, I would have put Saku as #1, but it'd be a close tie with Randy... Those two and Wand I want to see win every time they fight...

And I can't help but consider Genki Sudo one of the most likeable fighters around...

Just my $0.02, good list though

Good list I woulda included Genki and lowered Randy on the list
Manfred
7/17/07 10:39:14PM
You all make some valid points. I tried to use a feel on the forums (along with my own bias) to make the picks. These 10 are almost almost always talked about in a positive way.

As opposed to Tito, Diaz, the Shamrocks and some other suggestions who are bagged on as much as they are loved.
madmarck
7/17/07 11:11:53PM

Posted by Manfred

I thought about CC, but he's really not that well liked. He has plenty of haters, esp. in the US after his disappointing loss to GG. If he had kicked Gabe's head into the crownd like he was supposed to, he might have more fans

No GSP? Still i liked the idea. Its actually fairly well thought out humrous and no typos.....
Good stuff......... now add GSP before we have to brawl. J/K
Manfred
7/17/07 11:25:33PM

Posted by madmarck
No GSP? Still i liked the idea. Its actually fairly well thought out humrous and no typos.....
Good stuff......... now add GSP before we have to brawl. J/K

LOL no way man. He disappointed at lot of people and then pissed off a few more with his comments. Not too mention he's Canadian, and FRENCH Canadian at that!

BTW, I know you're from Canada so I'm just messing with you.
KillaMed87
7/17/07 11:33:33PM
Nice post man, put in some work. I agree with all your choices but i would have loved to see Forrest in there somewhere, guys the man. He has a great personallity and never quits, hes a riot too.
SpiderSilva
7/18/07 12:10:56AM

He couldnt lose to a hispanic in the homeland
TOMMYAYO05
7/18/07 12:46:38AM
HERES MY LIST..............
10)Mike"Quick"Swick
9)Georges"Rush"st .Pierre
8)Tito"Hunnington beach bad boy"Ortz
7)Rich"Ace"Franklin
6)Chuck"Iceman"Liddell
5)Mauricio"Shogun"Rua
4)Nick Diaz
3)Bas Rutten
2)Rickson Gracie
1)Randy Couture
Manfred
7/18/07 1:09:13AM

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

HERES MY LIST..............
10)Mike"Quick"Swick
9)Georges"Rush"st .Pierre
8)Tito"Hunnington beach bad boy"Ortz
7)Rich"Ace"Franklin
6)Chuck"Iceman"Liddell
5)Mauricio"Shogun"Rua
4)Nick Diaz
3)Bas Rutten
2)Rickson Gracie
1)Randy Couture

Damn, I forgot about Shogun, he's got a ton of fans and not many haters. Good call

Edit: Not sure about Rickson, he's still a legend in many minds, but his supposed 400-0 record and dodging of Saku (which I think was more related to his son Rockson's death) has gained him too much flaming to qualify for Top 10 "most loved"
akumairon
7/18/07 1:22:36AM
all great choices cant really complain with them, Good job
LHK
7/19/07 12:12:41AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Cro Cop will never be on this list if he cant even get himself motivated to fight

SpiderSilva spews his idiocy all over these forums. I'm new, but already starting to notice.

Anyway, REALLY nice list. I hate the Gracies, but toally valid points on Renzo, definitely the classiest Grace, only knock on his was the "acting" in the Shamrock fight. But before that, definitely all class.

And Liddell gets a lot of hate (rightfully so, probably the most overrated and overhyped fighter of all time). And if you're talkin worldwide beloved fighters, I bet the numbers on Saku and Genki are way higher then for Couture.
Manfred
7/19/07 5:48:24AM

Posted by LHK

Anyway, REALLY nice list. I hate the Gracies, but toally valid points on Renzo, definitely the classiest Grace, only knock on his was the "acting" in the Shamrock fight. But before that, definitely all class.

You think he was faking? Can't say I agree. What reason would he have. He, the announcers and most people watching thought he was ahead on the scorecards. (Turned out he wasn't) The locker room doctors confirmed a concussion.

Renzo made it clear he'd fight Frank under any rules (even biting!) but he'd obey the rules set forth. (LINK)

Also, it was his corner men who say he wasn't going to continue, Renzo said he'd be fine in a minute. Plus historically, he's not a quitter. (Saku fight) Another fighter I might be more apt to believe it.
Mastodon2
7/19/07 6:17:33AM

Posted by LHK

SpiderSilva spews his idiocy all over these forums. I'm new, but already starting to notice.

Oh I've noticed too. I PM'd him and asked him to be more objective with his posting but he doesnt seem to have taken any notice.
LHK
7/19/07 2:53:41PM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by LHK

You think he was faking? Can't say I agree. What reason would he have. He, the announcers and most people watching thought he was ahead on the scorecards. (Turned out he wasn't) The locker room doctors confirmed a concussion.

Renzo made it clear he'd fight Frank under any rules (even biting!) but he'd obey the rules set forth. (LINK)

Also, it was his corner men who say he wasn't going to continue, Renzo said he'd be fine in a minute. Plus historically, he's not a quitter. (Saku fight) Another fighter I might be more apt to believe it.

I agree it seems out of character, but there was actually a video (I tried to find it now, but I can't I'm sure other people have seen it) where Renzo is leaving the arena joking and laughing, but as soon as he spots the reporter he "pretends" to be in serious pain again. I'm not saying the concussion was fake, just that he may have played it up.
Manfred
7/19/07 3:00:18PM

Posted by LHK
I agree it seems out of character, but there was actually a video (I tried to find it now, but I can't I'm sure other people have seen it) where Renzo is leaving the arena joking and laughing, but as soon as he spots the reporter he "pretends" to be in serious pain again. I'm not saying the concussion was fake, just that he may have played it up.

Wow, haven't seen or heard that of that one. Pm me if you find it please, and I'll do the same. If that's true, it's a big disappointment
TOMMYAYO05
7/20/07 12:22:12AM
My list is better than the one posted i believe
Manfred
7/24/07 3:07:52PM

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

where/was was yours?
Boo_Radley21
7/24/07 10:24:16PM

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

I agree with some of the guys on your list but not Tito, Diaz, or Swick.
phiansouri
7/25/07 1:23:48PM
even though i hate the guy but he did help out with the ufc it has to be tito. he should be up there somewere
TOMMYAYO05
7/25/07 2:29:14PM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

where/was was yours?

up a little higher
Pages: [1] 2