Bellator welterweight champ Ben Askren says he'll retire before he's mastered MMA

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Bellator welterweight champ Ben Askren says he'll retire before he's mastered MMA
grappler0000
9/4/12 10:19:42PM
Of all the current Bellator champions, welterweight Ben Askren might be the least perturbed about the long layoffs typical for the promotion's beltholders. They give him a chance to get better.

"When I won a Bellator tournament, I was only a year and four months into my fighting career, maybe," Askren last week told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "My outlook was, OK, now I get all this time to actually get good at this."

Askren (10-0 MMA, 7-0 BFC), who is expected in January to defend his title against Karl Amoussou (16-4-2 MMA, 4-1 BFC), isn't selling anybody on the notion that he's a complete fighter. And he won't even come close to being one by the time he retires from MMA...

Full Story
Budgellism
9/5/12 12:42:34AM
No one in the history of the sport has mastered it and it will probably never happen. Or at least in our life times. There are guys that mix it all together well but there is no one that can say he's elite at all aspects of mma. There just isn't enough time in our life span to master it all.
meier
9/5/12 12:42:38AM
I have more fun stairing at the walls than watching his fights.
meier
9/5/12 12:44:04AM

Posted by Budgellism

No one in the history of the sport has mastered it and it will probably never happen.

sinosic did
jlock003
9/5/12 12:47:09AM
I wouldn't be upset if he went ahead and decided to retire now. Super talented wrestler but one of the most boring guys I've watched fight.
RhythmAndStyle
9/5/12 12:49:05AM
who is this guy?..most not remember cuz i'm prolly fucken sleeping..neff said
Twenty20Dollars
9/5/12 2:59:29AM
I don't know why this guy even fights.
Dberntson
9/5/12 9:53:10AM
I agree his fights are boring, but you have to give the guy three props:

1) He is one hell of a wrestler, maybe the best in MMA.
2) He is fearless on the ground. He gets in some pretty nasty positions, always remains calm, and gets out of submissions with ease.
3) He wins.

I would like to see what he could do in the UFC. There are a lot of good wrestlers over there that would make him use other aspects of his game
scoozna
9/5/12 11:03:31AM

Posted by meier

Posted by Budgellism

No one in the history of the sport has mastered it and it will probably never happen.

sinosic did

lol.

I respect Askren. I don't like watching his fights, but I respect him. If he spends his time learning GnP, Boxing, BJJ and gets visibly better at any of those - I'll respect him more and maybe even want to watch him.
BillsNewAccount
9/5/12 11:04:40AM
Give props to funky Ben! He acknowledges the fact he is boring and is trying to learn new skills but the man sticks to his bread an butter. Which is more than I can say for every Brazilian with great BJJ. (I can't remember the last time I saw Jacare or Maia sub someone)

Plus Funky trolls Dana White and he's going to wrestle the shit out of Semtex.
postman
9/5/12 11:56:44AM

Posted by Budgellism

No one in the history of the sport has mastered it and it will probably never happen. Or at least in our life times. There are guys that mix it all together well but there is no one that can say he's elite at all aspects of mma. There just isn't enough time in our life span to master it all.

The word mastered may not be the right word but GSP is pretty complete if you ask me.
RhythmAndStyle
9/5/12 12:31:00PM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Give props to funky Ben! He acknowledges the fact he is boring and is trying to learn new skills but the man sticks to his bread an butter. Which is more than I can say for every Brazilian with great BJJ. (I can't remember the last time I saw Jacare or Maia sub someone)

Plus Funky trolls Dana White and he's going to wrestle the shit out of Semtex.

how many finishes does Ben have?..and i can't believe u just tried to use Jacare and Maia as a example..those two can easily finish a fight, unlike Ben who can't finish it unless it comes to sex..Jacare just ko'd someone in his last fight..and Maia has improved his striking and Maia finished Sonnen..unlike Ben who hasnt shown improvement since and i can honestly say i cant remember seeing a finish from him yet..just my 2cents
ChrisSabal
9/5/12 12:48:31PM
Ben is a wrestler. I love wrestlers. Go Ben go.
jay98107
9/5/12 2:36:11PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I don't know why this guy even fights.

To make good money?
bjj1605
9/5/12 2:55:51PM

Posted by postman

Posted by Budgellism

The word mastered may not be the right word but GSP is pretty complete if you ask me.

This is exactly what I was going to say. We could have a philosophical debate about whether he's "mastered" it, but I think he's as close as it gets.

GSP is the most technically complete fighter we've ever seen. He will be the master in my mind util someone comes a long who is better than him everywhere.

I will say though, his bjj game didn't look very polished against Hardy. I give him a pass though because his jits has always looked good in other fights.
postman
9/5/12 2:59:11PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by postman

Posted by Budgellism

This is exactly what I was going to say. We could have a philosophical debate about whether he's "mastered" it, but I think he's as close as it gets.

GSP is the most technically complete fighter we've ever seen. He will be the master in my mind util someone comes a long who is better than him everywhere.

I will say though, his bjj game didn't look very polished against Hardy. I give him a pass though because his jits has always looked good in other fights.

I always had the feeling George just didnt want to snap Dans arm. But I have no way of proving that
State_Champ
9/5/12 3:13:34PM

Posted by meier

I have more fun stairing at the walls than watching his fights.

Oddly, I like watching Askren.
He scrambles well, and his takedowns are relentless (and usually just mad scrambles as well).

Plus, he isn't so good as to not get caught in tricky spots so we get to see even more strange scrambles and maneuvers.

But I totally see why so many people are bored by him.

I just think he is skilled enough to be entertaining, but not so skilled as to take the suspense out of the fight.
Sir_Karl
9/5/12 9:53:32PM
I can't really put my finger on it but something about Askren just rubs me the wrong way.