Bellator throws down gauntlet: Eddie Alvarez vs. Gilbert Melendez?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Bellator throws down gauntlet: Eddie Alvarez vs. Gilbert Melendez?
POLL: Eddie Alvarez vs. Gilbert Melendez
Alvarez for the money. 50% (10)
Melendez takes it. 30% (6)
Never gonna happen. 15% (3)
Don't care and/or not interested in this fight. 5% (1)
AchillesHeel
12/17/10 1:28:21PM
Bjorn Rebney, CEO of Bellator Fighting Championships, was quoted on "MMA Live" as challenging Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker to co-promote a lightweight champion-against-champion fight. "Alvarez would beat Melendez nine times out of ten" he claims, adding that he doesn't expect Coker to take up the gauntlet. I hope it happens.
DCRage
12/17/10 3:45:19PM
Old. This has been floating around the rumor mill for a few months.
State_Champ
12/17/10 3:52:19PM

Posted by DCRage

Old. This has been floating around the rumor mill for a few months.

Did Bjorn speak out on MMA Live (ESPN) prior to this?
I don't remember.
bojangalz
12/18/10 1:27:14AM
Of course he's going to speak out. Bellator is a 3rd rate promotion to Strikeforce. it's his duty as a promoter to push his brand as far as it can go. Bellator has literally nothing to lose by issuing this challenge. It ain't gonna happen folks. It just doesn't make business sense for Strikeforce unless they can parlay this fight into a PPV with Fedor/Overeem and a few other top draws.

I'm not holding my breath.
AchillesHeel
12/18/10 11:05:07AM

Posted by bojangalz

Bellator is a 3rd rate promotion to Strikeforce.

I'm also not holding my breath, but I disagree with you here. I think Strikeforce has more depth, but I think that, champion for champion, I'd only give Strikeforce a slight edge in the divisions they share. Bellator puts on way more shows than Strikeforce does, and has just signed a broadcast deal with MTV2 (kind of a strange network for MMA, but what the heck...).
AchillesHeel
12/18/10 11:25:03AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I think that, champion for champion, I'd only give Strikeforce a slight edge in the divisions they share.

265 lbs: Alistair Overeem vs. Cole Konrad. Until I see more of Konrad, I'd have to pick Overeem, by a mile.
205 lbs: Bellator doesn't have a Light-Heavyweight division.
185 lbs: Ronaldo de Souza vs. Hector Lombard. I'd have to pick Jacare, but that's an intriguing matchup. Both guys' last loss was to Gegard Mousasi, and they were both years ago.
170 lbs: Nick Diaz vs. Ben Askren. I'd have to pick Diaz to win this with his boxing, but it's another interesting match. Diaz hasn't fought a wrestler of Askren's caliber in years (and when he last did, he lost).
155 lbs: Gilbert Melendez vs. Eddie Alvarez. I'd pick Alvarez here.
145 & 135 lbs: Strikeforce doesn't have a Featherweight or a Bantamweight division.
Women's 145, 135 & 115 lbs: Their divisions don't overlap, but they each have top fighters.
prozacnation1978
12/19/10 3:56:48PM
Will bellator and strikeforce cross promote this next year??

I think they will at some point do it

I do look forward to next season of bellator