Bellator sues 'betrayed' Eddie Alvarez, fight future in limbo pending lawsuit

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Bellator sues 'betrayed' Eddie Alvarez, fight future in limbo pending lawsuit
jay98107
1/7/13 3:49:15PM
When Eddie Alvarez fulfilled the final fight on his Bellator contract last October, he did so in impressive fashion by disposing of Patricky Freire in the very first round via knockout.

The performance only raised the lightweight's stock further, making him a very hot commodity Bellator clearly wanted to keep and one Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) obviously wanted on its roster. UFC president Dana White knew obtaining the talents of the former 155-pound champion wouldn't be easy. As a matter of fact, the brash head honcho of the world's leading mixed martial arts (MMA) organization hinted last week that it would get downright "ugly."

Apparently, White was on to something.

After Zuffa finally made an official contract offer to "The Silent Assassin," Bellator proceeded to match it, leaving the next move up the Lorenzo Fertitta and White, which has yet to be made.

Story
jay98107
1/7/13 3:51:57PM
The take away quote from Alvarez here - "No we don't believe it was matched at all. I want to give details to you guys, but I'm not allowed because were in the middle of a pending lawsuit I guess. All I can say is, like I said on twitter the other day. If I wanted to go to dinner with one guy, and another guy asked me to dinner. And the intentions of guy number one were to take me to fine dining restaurant to eat lobster and the intentions of the second guy is to take me to McDonald's, then guy number two just believes that dinner is dinner. And dinner isn't dinner. There is a huge difference when talking about MacDonald's and fine dining. The two we don't believe are comparable. "

Another interesting part - "He did mention this isn't the first time Bellator has threatened to sue him, just the first they actually followed through."

My once very positive view on Bellator is quickly starting to change.
Budgellism
1/7/13 4:00:53PM

Posted by jay98107

Same here. I'm pretty displeased by this and other things they have done this last year.

I wish they'd cut the bullshit to be honest.
FastKnockout
1/7/13 4:13:00PM
Poor guy. Hate to see him wasting time in this BS when he could be out there making money and providing for his family. Dirty move, Bellator.
jay98107
1/7/13 4:13:39PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by jay98107

Same here. I'm pretty displeased by this and other things they have done this last year.

Agreed. Frankly, I don't see understand what grounds they have to sue Eddie. You either matched the contract or you didn't. Plus, you're not going to build fighter loyalty if you repeatedly threaten to sue your most popular fighter. This doesn't send a great message to the lower tier fighters.
calitrees
1/7/13 4:21:42PM
This reinforces one of my biggest rules in life, never trust someone with a silent j in their first name. Ronald McRebney seems pretty scummy but Eddie probobly knew what he was doing when he signed the contract. Hell be in the UFC but its gonna take a while.
sparky
1/7/13 4:23:35PM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by jay98107

Agreed. Frankly, I don't see understand what grounds they have to sue Eddie. You either matched the contract or you didn't. Plus, you're not going to build fighter loyalty if you repeatedly threaten to sue your most popular fighter. This doesn't send a great message to the lower tier fighters.

sparky
1/7/13 4:25:29PM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by jay98107

I was just thinking that myself. If Bellator isn't careful they will have a bunch of fighters that are not willing to work with them and they will have no one to blame but themselves
postman
1/7/13 4:52:14PM
Without knowing the details of the contract all we have is Eddie's word at the moment. Seems crazy to me that Bellator would file a lawsuit if they didn't have a leg to stand on. They are partnered with some pretty big names I can't see them wasting time and money if its as cut and dry as Eddie claims.
prozacnation1978
1/7/13 5:31:55PM
That's nice sue a fighter that pretty much is your biggest fighter and helped get the ball rolling for bellator years back
tcunningham
1/7/13 5:57:10PM
sounds to me like eddie needs to cut all ties with bellator. even if bellator could match UFC's offer, eddie still needs to say goodbye to that organization. once lawsuits are threatened or filed, his relationship with bellator will never be the same and he might find that they end up screwing him out of his chances at fame in the UFC.
Twenty20Dollars
1/7/13 6:22:30PM
Not the first time Bellator has threatened to sue their fighters or whatever. Pretty shady, but not unexpected. Alvarez fulfilled his last fight, so don't know how he betrayed them.

Just more shat
airkerma
1/7/13 8:45:21PM
Alverez's analogy is frighteningly remeniscent of johnny cochoran's chewbacca defense.

::Sometimes dinner is dinner, sometimes dinner isn't just dinner, because sometimes dinner is Chewbacca. But Chewbacca won't eat McDonalds and McDonalds aren't even from Endor! None of that made sense, neither does me being sued!:: ~Lawyered/Alverezed
LuckyCharms
1/7/13 9:05:44PM

Posted by airkerma

Alverez's analogy is frighteningly remeniscent of johnny cochoran's chewbacca defense.

GRRRWAAAAAAARGGGGH !
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
shaneTpain
1/7/13 11:44:29PM
Douchey move Bellator
WashULawyer
1/8/13 3:24:11AM
Is everyone forgetting that the UFC sued Randy Couture when he tried to fight Fedor?

You break your contract and you get sued.
george112
1/8/13 5:09:08AM

Posted by WashULawyer

Is everyone forgetting that the UFC sued Randy Couture when he tried to fight Fedor?

I'm tentatively agreeing with this.

Bellator can't be suing for nothing. The truth will come out. Just give it some time
telnights
1/8/13 8:54:50AM

Posted by WashULawyer

Randy was still under contract. He still had fights on said contract. He was far from a free agent. Randy tried to claim he was retired then wanted to fight Fedor while he was retired. Alvarez has completed his contract but yet Bellator is sueing because they think they have matched the UFC contract well enough that Alvarez has to stay with them because of a clause in said contract. When truth is they can never really match the UFC contract unless they start doing PPVs and pulling in millions of buys.
Goatenstein
1/8/13 1:43:43PM
He's a crybaby who doesn't want to honor his contract.