Bellator FC Sign the UK's fastest rising prospect that many are calling "The British Anderson Silva": Michael "Venom" Page

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Bellator FC Sign the UK's fastest rising prospect that many are calling "The British Anderson Silva": Michael "Venom" Page
jjeans
8/21/12 5:57:29AM
Fresh off defeating Jefferson George at UCMMA 29 the other night via yet another spectacular knock-out Michael Page revealed he has signed to Bellator Fighting Championships.

During his post-fight interview Page revealed the news to all in attendance at The Troxy in London. It was only a few weeks ago the Super Fight League in India also revealed that they had captured Page’s signature.

Page caught the eye of the MMA world in February after defeating Ben Dishman in spectacular fashion. His performance drew comparisons to that of UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva.

Link to article
Kpro
8/21/12 7:21:13AM
His knockout at UCMMA was sick. Drops the guy and just stares through the cage. I'll definitely be following his career.

EDIT: Assuming he doesn't start training with Greg Jackson.
sparky
8/21/12 8:31:24AM
This young man has some serious potential. I hope he scores another tornado kick knockout and I hope im watching it live this time
postman
8/21/12 9:03:09AM
Yeah and Harold Miner was Baby Jordan. He looks real good but that dude he was fighting was no superstar.
Bubbles
8/21/12 9:46:33AM

Posted by postman

Yeah and Harold Miner was Baby Jordan. He looks real good but that dude he was fighting was no superstar.

neither were any of the highschool kids LBJ played before he was drafted
Chieftan1997
8/21/12 9:57:38AM
Yeah he looked like Anderson Silva when he fought Demian Maia. Too much showboating and dancing around. Easy to look great against some out of shape bum too. He better start keeping his hands up against real competition!!! Looks like he has some potential if his own hype doesn't go to his head. I'd like to see how he'd do against a great wrestler/grinder.
airkerma
8/21/12 10:32:47AM
In the final frame of the gif, what is that thing that looks like it's exploding out of the victim's head? It almost looks like he got the rock-em-sock-em robot ko.
RhythmAndStyle
8/21/12 10:57:01AM

Posted by airkerma

In the final frame of the gif, what is that thing that looks like it's exploding out of the victim's head? It almost looks like he got the rock-em-sock-em robot ko.

had to look a bit close..but it's Page's opponents head, getting kickd away..

edit: Page looks good, but like i say with er' fighter with great striking..i just wanna see his bjj and wrestling..
george112
8/21/12 11:09:24AM
I doubt his skills on the ground are up to par with Silvas.

I'll be keeping an eye out for him
Dberntson
8/21/12 11:31:36AM
He's no Michael Bisping. Thank god.
pmoney
8/21/12 11:47:24AM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Posted by airkerma

had to look a bit close..but it's Page's opponents head, getting kickd away..

edit: Page looks good, but like i say with er' fighter with great striking..i just wanna see his bjj and wrestling..

I like Stephen Thompson's striking, but he just got beat by Matt Brown. Hopefully this guy doesn't suffer a similar fate.
FastKnockout
8/21/12 1:41:56PM
Hope the quick rise and Silva comparisons doesn't go to his head. I'd hate to see him run over by his own hype train.
postman
8/21/12 1:53:19PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by postman

neither were any of the highschool kids LBJ played before he was drafted

No they were kids being out played by a man. Just like this was an athlete fighting a guy from some club coming in off 1 weeks notice. I saw noth other then his speed to make me think he will be the next Anderson silva.
thevoodooninja
8/21/12 6:32:26PM
why didnt the guy that got kicked just drop and roll behind him while page was throwing that kick, then pop out. when page turns..... BAM a super kick right to the mush. thats what i would have done
hotrodttt
8/21/12 8:01:32PM
You can't call a prospect like Page the British Anderson Silva simply because he's untested, and has not successfully defended any title as long as Andy has. Don't get me wrong, there are similarities to their fighting style, but not a whole lot. Anderson has some of the best td defense and body movement along with a bjj black belt under the Nog bros. I like his fighting style but put him in there with a strong wrestler and we'll see if he can live up to the hype.
frizzzlecake
8/21/12 8:04:10PM
So his wrestling really sucks then?
prozacnation1978
8/21/12 11:53:05PM
Yeah if he is so good why didn't the Ufc pick him up
infestructure
8/22/12 6:02:52AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Yeah if he is so good why didn't the Ufc pick him up

The UFC miss quite a few good prospects, and let some good ones go too.
Aether
8/22/12 3:49:47PM
I have a bit of a personal dislike for this guy, if I'm honest. Not really a big fan of his clowning a guy in his first professional fight coming in off of 1 day's notice. I feel pretty confident that if he fights a decent wrestler he'll just get destroyed.
Kpro
8/24/12 1:12:00AM

Posted by Kpro

I'll definitely be following his career.

EDIT: Assuming he doesn't start training with Greg Jackson.

After this UFC 151 debacle, I feel this should've been posted days later.