Bellator plans multiple title fights as undercard of 'Rampage'-Ortiz pay-per-view

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Bellator plans multiple title fights as undercard of 'Rampage'-Ortiz pay-per-view
FastKnockout
8/6/13 3:14:15PM
With Bellator MMA's first pay-per-view venture featuring a pair of headliners who never have fought for the promotion before, its champions apparently don't need to worry about being left out in the cold.

Link
jae_1833
8/6/13 3:32:17PM
See now, them doing it at $35 and bringing most of their champs on board could make it worth the cash. Combine three or more of their champs, get Alvarez on the card as well and I would be all in.
frizzzlecake
8/6/13 3:42:40PM
Honestly I hope they go out and get some solid MMA Vet's to challenge the champs...Chandler and Minakov deserve more!
king_katool
8/6/13 3:47:27PM
Having champions fight under 2 fighters who are noticably past their prime is disrespectful IMO. Never should your championship fight be under a fight without a tilte
scoozna
8/6/13 4:03:36PM

Posted by king_katool

Having champions fight under 2 fighters who are noticably past their prime is disrespectful IMO. Never should your championship fight be under a fight without a tilte

This is how I feel. It degrades the title, the belt, the effort, the accomplishment - and makes it second to the spectacle.

Not a good move by Bellator, although I appreciate what they are trying to do.
Bythar
8/6/13 4:38:14PM

Posted by king_katool

I agree absolutely. They're booking it all wrong imo. I mean, if they use the drawing power of Tito and Rampage to get people interested in buying the ppv, that's great. But why not make a title bout the main event, put tito and rampage earlier on the card, and show that the title fights are the most important fights? As you said, this is disrespectful to the champs, and as Tito and Rampage are both past their primes - putting the eggs in that basket seems shortsighted.

Though, getting the champions on that card sounds awesome.
Budgellism
8/6/13 9:10:29PM

Posted by Bythar

Posted by king_katool

I agree absolutely. They're booking it all wrong imo. I mean, if they use the drawing power of Tito and Rampage to get people interested in buying the ppv, that's great. But why not make a title bout the main event, put tito and rampage earlier on the card, and show that the title fights are the most important fights? As you said, this is disrespectful to the champs, and as Tito and Rampage are both past their primes - putting the eggs in that basket seems shortsighted.

Though, getting the champions on that card sounds awesome.

Agreed on all accounts. Chandler needs to headline this imo no matter what. He's easily their greatest talent and building him up after he signed that new contract can only help Bellator out.

If anything Rampage/Tito should open the card, followed by 3 or 4 solid title fights.
postman
8/6/13 10:50:38PM
I agree in theory but not practice. We agree that they are being brought in to draw a large number. The act that's drawing the fans is always last. That's what the ppl pages for. And I think the bellator guys would respect them and want to be on that card. Look at that show dudes wanted to go to shamrock over randy and Jacksons. Who likes frank shamrock? Apernetly up and coming fighters still respect him enough to pick him over Greg freaking Jackson.

Edited
Wasted bro!
FlashyG
8/6/13 11:08:05PM
I agree with those who think giving Tito and Rampage top billing is a big mistake.

To me its admitting that your organization didn't have enough star power to pull off a PPV until they signed 2 UFC vets.

Its even worse when you consider the 2 vets headlining the card haven't won a fight between them since 2011.
isk
8/6/13 11:33:56PM
I applaud the boldness. Get your champions the exposure they need to be superstars, and get some folks headlining the event that'll put butts in seats. Go big or go the fuck home.

Also, I absolutely believe there is demographic of Ed Hardy / Affliction / Just Bleed bros who remember Rampage and Tito, and will shell out for the pay per view (or go to a bar showing it). But will enough pay for it? That's the question.

Posted by FlashyG
To me its admitting that your organization didn't have enough star power to pull off a PPV until they signed 2 UFC vets.

They didn't - and I don't think it was an issue of talent. They've slowly built up their fanbase and sorted out their future stars on free TV and Youtube. It's an interesting strategy, and it definitely has the undergrown / rebellious tone that could make it work.

Right now, I think Bellator's biggest mistake is Eddie Alvarez. Let him go, or don't. Pick one. But that's another subject, and this turn out to be Bellator's biggest mistake. It'll be worth seeing what happens.
FlashyG
8/7/13 12:04:53AM

Posted by isk

I applaud the boldness. Get your champions the exposure they need to be superstars, and get some folks headlining the event that'll put butts in seats. Go big or go the fuck home.

Also, I absolutely believe there is demographic of Ed Hardy / Affliction / Just Bleed bros who remember Rampage and Tito, and will shell out for the pay per view (or go to a bar showing it). But will enough pay for it? That's the question.

Posted by FlashyG

They didn't - and I don't think it was an issue of talent. They've slowly built up their fanbase and sorted out their future stars on free TV and Youtube. It's an interesting strategy, and it definitely has the undergrown / rebellious tone that could make it work.

Right now, I think Bellator's biggest mistake is Eddie Alvarez. Let him go, or don't. Pick one. But that's another subject, and this turn out to be Bellator's biggest mistake. It'll be worth seeing what happens.

I think this PPV is a big gamble, and one I don't think will end well for viacom/bellator.

Up until now Bellator has stayed out of the UFC's crosshairs as far as programming because of its weekly shows and their decision to air their events mid-week. With them stepping into the MMA PPV market I think the UFC will be quick to counter program this event with one of their own that will be far more of a draw to the Ed Hardy, Affliction, Just Bleed crowd. Those are the types that don't even recognize the acronym MMA, they know the sport as UFC.

I think this PPV will turn out to be a financial disaster and hopefully not the beginning of the end for Bellator, who I think has done a really good job of carving out a niche for itself in the MMA landscape.

Every promotion that has stepped into the PPV market to compete with the UFC has had it lead to their demise, yet one after another they keep trying
shaneTpain
8/7/13 7:44:47AM
This may be worth a download
Lungsofsteel
8/7/13 4:38:17PM
Askren vs Chandler superfight would be sick