UFC and Bellator

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » UFC and Bellator
spikerman19
6/18/10 1:07:54AM
Would you guys like to see the UFC scrap The Ultimate Fighter on Spike and possibly buy Bellator. I think the UFC could use the Bellator system as a weekly fight showcase on ESPN. The prize for each season winner could be a spot of the UFN cards. I only thought of this when I was watching Bellator, really enjoying it, which made me think about how horrible TUF has become. I dont know maybee even they could incorporate the Bellator name. If this sounds lame than sorry, it was a late night hunch.
sbulldavid
6/18/10 1:11:43AM
Not the worst idea, pretty creative actually, but I like Bellator on it's own personally.
spikerman19
6/18/10 1:13:38AM

Posted by sbulldavid

Not the worst idea, pretty creative actually, but I like Bellator on it's own personally.

I keep thinking of a weekly ESPN feature, this was the only idea I had.
lohmann
6/18/10 1:15:12AM
No.

1) Bellator isn't cash-strapped or starved financially.
2) The UFC has enough card space to build prospects on their own products.
spikerman19
6/18/10 1:21:06AM

Posted by lohmann

No.

1) Bellator isn't cash-strapped or starved financially.
2) The UFC has enough card space to build prospects on their own products.

I just think the Bellator system is superior to TUF and would like the UFC to incorporate it.
spikerman19
6/18/10 1:22:35AM
I guess I just want them to get rid of the stupid ******* 'real world" aspect to their programming.
sbulldavid
6/18/10 1:41:38AM

Posted by spikerman19

I guess I just want them to get rid of the stupid ******* 'real world" aspect to their programming.

Best thing I've heard anyone say in a while, in past seasons we were introduced to very good fighters now we're seeing a sideshow. I think TUF is more of a Spike project, than a UFC product anymore. The wild card is all about dragging on the soap opera.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/18/10 1:44:01AM
I keep waiting for the Miz, The Situation, and Puck to make an appearance.
jae_1833
6/18/10 2:11:07AM

Posted by spikerman19

This is why I dvr the show and fast forward to the fights...I rarely watch much of the show and if I do it's some of the training aspects.
noahgenda
6/18/10 5:35:51PM
i do the exact same thing jae, lol. i mean i dont want to sound like a hater but they get some dumbass dudes to be coaches. tito was actually a pretty good coach imo, he really cares about his guys, but rampage, hendo, matt hughes, etc. they are great fighters but they come off as morons and shitty people when they try/dont try to coach
Jackelope
6/18/10 5:45:59PM
I think the only one of those examples that fits is Rampage. Hendo and Hughes were decent coaches but they had a very different style of coaching. Hendo has the "tough love, and do what needs to be done" approach to coaching whereas Hughes has the "do it my way or the highway" style of coaching.

Rampage is the only coach that has really had me scratching my head wondering WTF he is doing. Like being late for his fighter's warmup, yelling "you know what to do!" and just in general not really being much of a coach.

Just had to throw in a word of defense for Hughes and Hendo because both have proven track records of being decent coaches by virtue of the fighters who train under them now. Hendo runs one of the most successful camps in MMA and HIT squad has a lot of up and coming fighters. Remember the cameras only show you the parts they want you to see and every good storyline has a bad guy.

And just on a personal note I'd train with Hendo any day of the week before I'd train with Tito. Just because you're a nice guy and you care about your fighters doesn't make you a good coach IMO.

Jackelope
6/18/10 5:51:16PM

Posted by spikerman19

Would you guys like to see the UFC scrap The Ultimate Fighter on Spike and possibly buy Bellator. I think the UFC could use the Bellator system as a weekly fight showcase on ESPN. The prize for each season winner could be a spot of the UFN cards. I only thought of this when I was watching Bellator, really enjoying it, which made me think about how horrible TUF has become. I dont know maybee even they could incorporate the Bellator name. If this sounds lame than sorry, it was a late night hunch.

I like that Bellator puts on regular fights and is completely separate to the UFC. I'm all for free market competition and I feel Bellator is doing a great job for as new as they are.

I think the UFC Brass needs to stop picking fighters for TUF based off their personalities. They need to start picking the guys who are showing up and putting a good product on the mat. Anybody who is tied in with the fight game knows the UFC turns down plenty of talent for TUF based on something other than how they did physically in tryouts.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/18/10 6:51:03PM
I agree, Bellator can stay where it's at. As for TUF, this Real World **** has got to go. I do the same thing as Jae and Noahgenda. I have no interest in their problems inside the house.
postman
6/18/10 9:06:35PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I agree, Bellator can stay where it's at. As for TUF, this Real World **** has got to go. I do the same thing as Jae and Noahgenda. I have no interest in their problems inside the house.

Tuf isn't for me or you its for reality tv fans. The numbers show that they are staying the same each season. Thats why it dosn't ever change. We all want to see training and good fights between good fighters. Sadly the rest of America dosn't they want the real world. They could have great seasons of fights but alot of fighters don't have personality so they are kept off the show.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/18/10 9:42:42PM
Then scrap the show. That's not what it's about.
postman
6/19/10 12:18:43PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Then scrap the show. That's not what it's about.

To us thats not what it is about to Zuffa it was about blowing the sport up and it did now its about making cake and thats it. I would love to have a UFC Challengers series and lets be real Strikeforce dosn't have the stable of fighters to do the challengers. I get into deep thought about how they should do a show on training and what not but I just can't come up with one that would bring viewers in. And it sucks!
BlueSkiesBurn
6/19/10 2:19:11PM
I hear you, Rob, it just frustrates the hell out of me. I mean, once it's all over, they have to enter the octagon and fight for their lives without cameras on them 24-7. What point does it serve? I love the TUF alum but they seem to be getting worse, as people, every year.