I am a believer in the Pitbull!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » I am a believer in the Pitbull!
warglory
10/5/08 12:51:17AM
I have always been a fan of Arlovski nkowing he was a talent who could entertain, but it seemed like after his losses to Sylvia, he just seemed to be in a funk similar to what has happened to Belfort. However, I have been proven wrong in his last two fights, and I couldn't be more happier! It's been awhile since I have seen a comeback mean as much to the sport as Arlovski's. Rothwell and Nelson are both very credible, very dangerous opponents who both will make a name for themselves, but Arlovski has shown he is, by far, the best striker in the heavyweight division right now. I can't wait to see him with Barnett or Fedor!
loller90278
10/5/08 1:59:05AM

Posted by warglory

I have always been a fan of Arlovski nkowing he was a talent who could entertain, but it seemed like after his losses to Sylvia, he just seemed to be in a funk similar to what has happened to Belfort. However, I have been proven wrong in his last two fights, and I couldn't be more happier! It's been awhile since I have seen a comeback mean as much to the sport as Arlovski's. Rothwell and Nelson are both very credible, very dangerous opponents who both will make a name for themselves, but Arlovski has shown he is, by far, the best striker in the heavyweight division right now. I can't wait to see him with Barnett or Fedor!

totally agree. i have him #5 in my top ten heavyweights
stock
10/5/08 2:15:42AM
Arlovski's striking looked crisp as ever, but was not impressed with his ground game at all.

He looked like a turtle on his back and Roy was moving thru positions at will. I thought the standup was extremely premature as Roy was working for position and I feel would have had a good chance of finishing Arlovski if given another minute.
I guess EliteXC doesn't want JJ guys unless they can get a sub in less than 30 seconds.

Anyway, Arlovski weathered the storm in the first round and weathered another near KO punch in the 2nd round, and just pounded away at a tired opponent.

Good fight for him. Hopefully we will get to see him fight some real talent next. I think he has proven he is better than the IFL heavyweights now.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/5/08 3:22:06AM
AA's grpund game might not have looked great, but he sure didnt get in any danger from a tko or sub stand point.
i have him behind fedor at #2 HW (#5 p4p) & hope they fight to prove that me & SmileR r not delusional
warglory
10/5/08 12:42:36PM

Posted by stock

Arlovski's striking looked crisp as ever, but was not impressed with his ground game at all.

He looked like a turtle on his back and Roy was moving thru positions at will. I thought the standup was extremely premature as Roy was working for position and I feel would have had a good chance of finishing Arlovski if given another minute.
I guess EliteXC doesn't want JJ guys unless they can get a sub in less than 30 seconds.

Anyway, Arlovski weathered the storm in the first round and weathered another near KO punch in the 2nd round, and just pounded away at a tired opponent.

Good fight for him. Hopefully we will get to see him fight some real talent next. I think he has proven he is better than the IFL heavyweights now.

Man, talk about discrediting the man's win!

Nelson is a very powerful heavyweight, probably much heavier than Arlovski is, so control over the man on the ground isn't surprising. Arlovski was never in any danger of ever being submitted or pounded out, Nelson merely laid on him for the first part of the round. You also failed to mention Andrei was able to scramble out fairly easily once Roy started getting a little tired.

As for the stand up that was the beginning of the end, I thought it was a good stand up as Roy was really not doing much damage the entire round save for a few shots and some kimura attempts. He wasn't anywhere near finishing Arlovski at this point. Good stand up.

Arlovski was never in any danger of being KOed, come on man. The time he fell back, it looked like he slipped on the mat more than anything as he was completely cognitive and didn't recoil as a result at all, he immediately went back on the offensive. The 2nd round was all about Arlovski, which he dominated by any way he saw fit.

Roy Nelson is a credible opponent for anyone in the division, as is Ben Rothwell. Are you saying neither of these guys were credible opponents?
Pitbull09
10/5/08 10:07:10PM
Never lost faith with him. My screenname should make that obvious. He loses to Tim Sylvia in a rubber match and suddenly everyone thinks he isnt legit. The guy is no doubt top 5 and has been for a long time.

I am sick of all the AA haters who won;t put the Werdum fight behind them. He won the fight and Werdum could've pushed the pace too. Maybe AA's past two fights will put that in the past.

WAR AA
fullerene
10/6/08 4:00:24AM
I'm with the crowd on having him ranked #4 or #5 in the top HWs with a very impressive skill set. I don't think he's earned the right to be called the best HW striker yet, though, and I'm not sure he has it in him to ever be that. Not only does he lack the pedigree of guys like Cro-Cop and Hunt but he also has two losses to Tim Sylvia in which he was outstruck. Tim is underrated and difficult in that department, but he still got the best of him and it makes me wonder how he would do against another tall striker like Overeem or even Schilt or Choi if they made another MMA foray.
mkiv9secsupra
10/6/08 3:38:22PM

Posted by stock

AA had a weeks notice, what did you expect?! The first takedown of the night Roy got because AA lost his balance as AA took HIM down and Nelson hung on and got on AA, where he did nothing! He didnt GnP and went for the same sub a few times that he was obviously not going to get.

That one punch Nelson landed apparently didnt rock AA too hard either. AA was stable before Nelson could even throw another punch. If AA had a full 2-3 months training this fight wouldnt have made it out of the first round.
mkiv9secsupra
10/6/08 3:41:26PM

Posted by fullerene
he also has two losses to Tim Sylvia in which he was outstruck.

Well he outstruck Tim in the second fight as well, he got overzealous and rushed in and got caught. If they have a 4th fight im betting AA all the way. That overhand right has done wonders against Tim.