DO YOU BELIEVE THE MARTIAL ARTS LEGENDS?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » DO YOU BELIEVE THE MARTIAL ARTS LEGENDS?
mrsmiley
9/21/07 8:54:21PM
Ok we have all herd the same stories.Amazing Martial Arts masters who seemed invincible.
Most of us have probably herd that a great deal of these stories were also surronded with a storm cloud of BS.My question to you is do you believe these stories?

Take martial artist like Mas Oyama and Morihei Ueshiba.(Just to name two of them).

Do you believe these incridible stories you hear of the older masters?
Lord_Lenny
9/21/07 9:07:49PM
they are most likely just half-truths, but its fun to think of old MA masters being unstoppable, like some little yoda-like japanese guy with a dojo above the clouds on a long forgotten mountain thats just an absolute beast
Rush
9/21/07 9:20:02PM
My aikido instructor was training in aikido in Japan and knew (of) Ueshiba personally so I trust the stories he has said about him. My sensei was a student, at one time, of Gozo Shioda (one of Ueshiba's first uchideshi.) Mind you these stories didn't include the supernatural ones listed on the net.

Bruce Lee will always have some "controversy" surrounding his abilities and life. The problem is there are many people that knew him personally that both credit and discredit him. What should we trust as fact?

I take what I hear about Musashi and Muso, Jubei, etc. with a grain of salt. I'm sure those guys had a lot of things embellished about their lives, but I have no doubt that their skill was extraordinary.

Svartorm
9/21/07 10:47:48PM
I believe most of them, as I generally have no reason not to. The human body is an amazing thing and capable of more than most people give it credit for.
loonytnt
9/21/07 11:01:09PM
i think most of the story are true, but i think times have changed a lot to tho, some things they did then, now a days it by a lot harder, just like if a guy said'' i was 175lbs and i beat the world best in a all martial art tournament, some of the guys where 2x bigger then me been i still won them'' i think you all no who that one is, now do you think someone can do that now? idk i think it would be a lot harder
Mastodon2
9/22/07 9:23:44AM
I don't believe that these guys were unbeatable masters who were peerless (though the idea of such superhuman prowess is cool) I can imagine that they were supremely skilled, and that Fedor-aura (Fedaura? ) probably made the stories of them that got passed on be told as them being unbeatable.

I do know that My Muay Thai Master's master's master (3 generations of Muay Thai practicioners, going back some seventy years) did actually kill some of his opponents in the ring, though that was the wild west days of Thai boxing, before western style safety regulations were put in place!
postman
9/22/07 10:23:20AM
Do you think it may have been the lack of competion around at that time kinda like Royce Gracie at the begining of the UFC? Making them all seem supernatural.
zephead
9/22/07 10:31:20AM
All I know is, I have the death touch. The UFC will not allow me compete. It's true and that's all I have to say about that
Rush
9/22/07 11:37:03AM

I don't know about you, but I do believe in this.....

The Real Ultimate Power

it's a good read
gspgnp
9/22/07 12:27:58PM

Posted by Rush

I don't about you, but I do believe in this.....

The Real Ultimate Power

it's a good read

That's some funny s***!
TNunley
9/24/07 10:35:27AM

Posted by zephead

All I know is, I have the death touch. The UFC will not allow me compete. It's true and that's all I have to say about that

Are you Jean-Claude Van Damme?? Wait,... didn't you die?
thepunisher
9/24/07 1:29:10PM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by zephead

Are you Jean-Claude Van Damme?? Wait,... didn't you die?

Yeah he did he was pleasuring himself and gave himself the death touch