Belfort Willing to Fight Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Belfort Willing to Fight Anderson Silva
emfleek
7/27/09 1:32:16PM
With his “Affliction: Trilogy” fight against WAMMA champ Fedor Emelianenko, ahem Jorge Santiago, officially scrapped, former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort is looking to make a move back to the Octagon and make a run at middleweight king Anderson Silva.

“Anderson is a great friend of mine and a big champion but I’m looking for this [fight to happen],” Belfort told OUL Esporte of Brazil. “I cannot comment much on this right now but yeah, I always want to fight the best fighters. Of course it won’t be a pleasure [being Silva’s friend] but there isn’t another way at all in the sport. Kaka and Ronaldinho (Brazilian soccer players) are friends and have faced each other many times. It is part of my work and I need it to afford milk to the children at home.”

STORY
Hendo67
7/27/09 1:58:02PM
I'd love to see this, it needs to happen.
KaibaThedon
7/27/09 1:58:43PM
Howbout a rematch between him and Wandy at 185 ??

Hendo? Okami/Sonnen? Bisping? Cote? Maia/Marquardt?

More 185ers for the mix!
Hendo67
7/27/09 2:09:27PM
MW GP!
Irish_Pride
7/27/09 2:20:32PM
This sounds like a great fight. I would love to see this happen. Vitor is one tough dude and so is Anderson. This just seems like it would be one great fight.
BMF
7/27/09 2:36:32PM
More than likely wrong forum, howerver, IMO I think the UFC should bring back "Grand Prix" tournanment style PPV. I would think that would prove who was the best fighter and most deserving of the title or #1 contender.

Doesn't anyone miss the old days of the UFC?

Again sorry if the wrong forum.
The-Don
7/27/09 2:54:56PM

Posted by BMF

More than likely wrong forum, howerver, IMO I think the UFC should bring back "Grand Prix" tournanment style PPV. I would think that would prove who was the best fighter and most deserving of the title or #1 contender.

Doesn't anyone miss the old days of the UFC?

Again sorry if the wrong forum.

Wrong forum but I agree those tourney's were fun.. but most State athletic commisions would not allow them...

as for the topic at hand.. I'd love to see Vitor come in that is someone with good hands good chin and good ground game he could be trouble all around for Silva
moob
7/27/09 2:59:25PM
I like Belfort, but I really don't know how he, or anyone else for that matter, reckons he warrants a title shot against Silva, given that he's only defeated two spent forces in the past year and prior to that was fighting in joke (and now defunct) UK promotion Cage Rage.

He just hasn't earned it.
Kpro
7/27/09 3:01:57PM
AC's don't allow old-style one night tourney's, and the UFC won't do unsanctioned events.

If you remember back, Strikeforce had a one night tourney a while ago and the only way they got it sanctioned is by having the first two matches of the night be a 5 minute 1st round to decide the winner, and then a regular fight for the finals.

I don't know any fans who want to see a 5 minute 1 round fight, I can only imagine the complaints over the scoring on who gets to go to the finals. Doubt the UFC wants to pay a fight purse for a 5 minute fight too

I agree though, those were great to watch.

Let's get Belfort vs. Silva inked!
emfleek
7/27/09 3:05:00PM

Posted by moob

I like Belfort, but I really don't know how he, or anyone else for that matter, reckons he warrants a title shot against Silva, given that he's only defeated two spent forces in the past year and prior to that was fighting in joke (and now defunct) UK promotion Cage Rage.

With all due respect, he never mentioned anything about having already earned it. He's only saying that it's a fight that he would like to have.
moob
7/27/09 3:17:15PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by moob

With all due respect, he never mentioned anything about having already earned it. He's only saying that it's a fight that he would like to have.

Indeed - he never specifically said it verbatim, but he certainly made the comment that he'd like it to happen, as do several posters here. I just don't think Vitor has earned it, particularly given his recent opponents - they're nowhere near the calibre of Silva, it's just not realistic IMO.
cowcatcher
7/27/09 3:33:52PM
i agree that he hasnt earned it, but a lot of us that were fans in the "old days" remember how dominant he was and hes shown a return to that form lately and it has us excited because we've seen how dangerous he can be. on top of that his losses are to saku, overeem x 2, chuck, randy x 2, tito, and hendo, that is the greatest whos who of people in your L column that maybe any fighter has ever had.
SmileR
7/27/09 3:48:19PM
I got a twinge in my pants when I read that! Belfort vs Silva could be one of the most exciting fights I'v ever seen!
Rush
7/27/09 4:07:30PM

Posted by cowcatcher

i agree that he hasnt earned it, but a lot of us that were fans in the "old days" remember how dominant he was and hes shown a return to that form lately and it has us excited because we've seen how dangerous he can be. on top of that his losses are to saku, overeem x 2, chuck, randy x 2, tito, and hendo, that is the greatest whos who of people in your L column that maybe any fighter has ever had.

Not to mention that a fair number of the losses were by decision.
prozacnation1978
7/27/09 10:50:26PM
if silva does destroy griffin quick i could see a belfort vs silva in nov in vegas
moob
7/29/09 3:40:15PM

Posted by cowcatcher

I remember his previous fights at the height of his career as well, just that his last two opponents and the victories, don't really compare.

Don't get me wrong here, I really hope Vitor can reclaim his previous form, but he has a distance to go to achieve that in a credible fashion.