Belfort and the shelf life of a 'Phenom'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Belfort and the shelf life of a 'Phenom'
Poor_Franklin
9/19/12 5:53:17PM
Vitor Belfort is the longest-tenured UFC fighter, an ante-Zuffaian heirloom who was Jon Jones long before there was a Jon Jones. If he’s distinguished, it’s because he’s learned to adapt within the meanest landscape in sports.

Now 35, he’s facing the Jon Jones of today -- the Jon Jones. Jones, the invulnerable. Jones, the colossus of the light heavyweight division, a division that Belfort hasn’t fought in since 2007. It’s a legit old-meets-new with a sense of “martyrdom” underwriting it all. To go by the specs, Jones -- at 25 years old -- is the new “phenom.” Belfort, in his twilight, is the new “unenviable.”

LINK

Poor_Franklin
9/19/12 5:54:28PM
2 articles on Vitor in one day! ESPN showing love for the underdog? or will they have 4 articles on Bones tomorrow? Either way, it's nice to see The Mothership covering MMA more frequently
ghandikush
9/19/12 5:56:49PM
He's too physical to keep it up, like a hughes, wanderlei, or liddell
Chael_Sonnen
9/19/12 6:05:53PM
Vitor is a helluva fighter BUT God doesn't give two shits about half naked fighters fighting inside a cage.
prophecy033
9/19/12 7:05:26PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Vitor is a helluva fighter BUT God doesn't give two shits about half naked fighters fighting inside a cage.

you're right, he gives 3 shits about everyone, regardless
ghandikush
9/19/12 7:17:53PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

you're right, he gives 3 shits about everyone, regardless

To give is better than to receive...

george112
9/19/12 7:39:06PM
Glad ESPN gave him his moment. With a loss I'm not sure if he would have ever had the chance again.

Hope he can prove everyone wrong
meier
9/19/12 9:31:02PM
I cant wait!
tcunningham
9/20/12 12:16:09AM
i just hope vitor gets some shots in before jones finishes him just to make it worth the money. im on the vitor war train, but just for this PPV, then i'll probably jump ship.
MaxOne
9/20/12 11:55:13AM
I have no way to watch this card and it's really bothering me.

I can't explain how much I would enjoy seeing Vitor pull off the win here. Jones could use his first real loss at this point :)

Not bashing...big fan of Jones ability but everyone loses and I think it's a good time in his career for him to experience an actual loss.

Great time in my life to see Vitor freak everybody out and KO Jones.

Do I expect this to happen? no, however I will be picking with my "heart."
prophecy033
9/20/12 1:05:27PM

Posted by MaxOne

I can't explain how much I would enjoy seeing Vitor pull off the win here. Jones could use his first real loss at this point :)

Not bashing...big fan of Jones ability but everyone loses and I think it's a good time in his career for him to experience an actual loss.

I'm a BIG Vitor fan but I'm not making the mistake of picking with my heart instead of my brain. Jones is too good. If Belfort wins, that's a lose i'll gladly take
bigrand826
9/20/12 1:51:15PM

Posted by MaxOne

Jones would then have to start over on trying to get that consecutive defenses record from Tito.
MaxOne
9/20/12 6:16:15PM

Posted by bigrand826

Posted by MaxOne

Jones would then have to start over on trying to get that consecutive defenses record from Tito.

That would be ok with me
prophecy033
9/21/12 1:35:42AM

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by bigrand826

Posted by MaxOne

That would be ok with me

Me too
bjj1605
9/21/12 12:00:05PM

Posted by ghandikush

He's too physical to keep it up, like a hughes, wanderlei, or liddell

This. It's Roy Jones Jr. Syndrome.

Fighters who's style requires lots of speed, athleticism, strength, or explosion aren't going to be good later in their careers.

To this day though I'm not convinced that anyone of today's "modern evolved fighters" could beat Matt Hughes in his prime. A guy with that much brute strength, that good of wrestling, that much skill with submissions, and that ferocity of ground and pound would have been unstoppable in any era.
hymiekooken
9/21/12 2:35:38PM
I still say Vitor shocks everyone and ko's Jonny boy tomorrow night. I feel like he has one more good run left in him. But I have always been the engineer driving the Vitor train.