Belfort doesn't want to fight Silva, but Silva would not mind

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Belfort doesn't want to fight Silva, but Silva would not mind
jae_1833
8/22/09 5:21:34PM
link

Vitor Belfort isn’t that high on an opportunity to challenge Anderson Silva for his 185-pound crown. He’ll do it, but it’s not an ideal situation to compete against a fellow Brazilian and someone who he considers a friend. However, Silva has remarked that Belfort is not his friend, but someone who he respects and is willing to fight without reservation if called upon. “The Phenom” is the latest addition to the UFC middleweight class and someone who company president, Dana White, would like to see earn a title shot to one day challenge “The Spider.” Before that can happen, however, both fighters need to take care of other business — Belfort is set to battle Rich Franklin next month and Silva is penciled in to take on Dan Henderson before year’s end. Are Belfort and Silva on a collision course, whether they like it or not?

State_Champ
8/22/09 5:43:46PM
Belfort is scared!
WheelchairBandit
8/22/09 6:07:54PM
Anderson is acting a bit odd on this one-Vitor trained with Black House for quite awhile and was/is pretty tight with those guys.Maybe Anderson is just pissy that Vitor left to train with Randy?

Remember,Tito wanted Vitor to help him train for Machida,and Vitor turned him down due to Machida being a friend from his Black House days.

I think Anderson is probably up for the fight,as the UFC brass probably wouldn't put up with him saying no to another fight due to "friendship".

And I don't think Vitor is scared of Anderson-the guy wanted to fight Fedor on a week's notice for cryin out loud!

WB.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
8/22/09 7:11:04PM
somebody is scurred
xdanish020
8/22/09 9:39:42PM
Anderson seems like a cocky mofo
Twenty20Dollars
8/22/09 11:03:33PM
i dont think it will happen.
GrandMaster313
8/22/09 11:33:30PM

Posted by WheelchairBandit

Anderson is acting a bit odd on this one-Vitor trained with Black House for quite awhile and was/is pretty tight with those guys.Maybe Anderson is just pissy that Vitor left to train with Randy?

Remember,Tito wanted Vitor to help him train for Machida,and Vitor turned him down due to Machida being a friend from his Black House days.

I think Anderson is probably up for the fight,as the UFC brass probably wouldn't put up with him saying no to another fight due to "friendship".

And I don't think Vitor is scared of Anderson-the guy wanted to fight Fedor on a week's notice for cryin out loud!

WB.

my thoughts pretty much. Its kinda funny that Silva says the same thing about Paulo Filho and few people were criticizing Silva But when Belfort says the same thing people wanna say he is scared. The guy is trying to show some respect. Weird thing is now that this topic has been brought up, the UFC now has a story to twist around into a possible feud.
1daveufc
8/23/09 3:44:44AM
Why everyone getting pumped about this if the reports are right Anderson wants to step up weight after the Henderson fight.,He only 3 fights left on his contract 1 against Hendo and the other 2 will probs be at 205.Well unless he fights GSP @ 185 and i hope he does cause i so want to see GSP smashed up.
kopower
8/23/09 11:56:11AM
This "I'm not gonna fight him cause he's a former training partner" or "friend from back in the day" is getting real old. You are fighters, this is your job. Sometimes you have to do things in your job you don't like. In this case, if it calls for it, you have to throw down.
Rush
8/23/09 12:13:12PM
My hunch is that Anderson knows he can't say, I will not fight "insert name" too many times. I assume he has Machida high on his list and most of the other guys, while he might prefer not to fight, are acceptable compromises to the emerging "rule" of fighting training partners.
sclasclemski
8/23/09 12:55:35PM

Posted by kopower

This "I'm not gonna fight him cause he's a former training partner" or "friend from back in the day" is getting real old. You are fighters, this is your job. Sometimes you have to do things in your job you don't like. In this case, if it calls for it, you have to throw down.

I totally agree...they need to seperate friendship from the competition...respect is one thing but the fans want to see the best fight...and if the best all happen to be friends well then they need to learn to put their friendship aside for 15 - 20 minutes.
telnights
8/23/09 1:16:43PM

Posted by Rush

My hunch is that Anderson knows he can't say, I will not fight "insert name" too many times. I assume he has Machida high on his list and most of the other guys, while he might prefer not to fight, are acceptable compromises to the emerging "rule" of fighting training partners.

I think he knows he can only use that with so many times and I have a feel Machida is much higher on his list than Belfort is. I havent heard Silva say much about Belfort but he talks about Machida all the time. That in itself shows he is much closer to Machida. I like Belfort but I don't think he can beat Anderson.
ncordless
8/23/09 1:31:55PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by Rush

I think he knows he can only use that with so many times and I have a feel Machida is much higher on his list than Belfort is. I havent heard Silva say much about Belfort but he talks about Machida all the time. That in itself shows he is much closer to Machida. I like Belfort but I don't think he can beat Anderson.

You guys really think Anderson is at all concerned about upsetting the powers that be? He doesn't strike me as that type of person at all, and he has no real need to worry about getting dropped from the UFC even if he refuses to fight "friends". UFC is not going to let Silva go and risk having 2 of the 3 top fighters in the world fighting outside the UFC. Silva holds all the cards in that relationship. I have no doubt that Silva will never be afraid to say who he will and won't fight and there is not much the UFC can do about it besides complain and even that they can't do too much. Anderson does seem to have a somewhat thin skin when it comes to criticism. That mixed with his constant talk of retirement and vacating the MW belt has to have the UFC worried that they may lose their top fighter if they do not keep him happy.

I think this has more to do with Belfort's falling out with Blackhouse. There is a long history of Brazilians turning on former teamates who have moved somewhere else.
Rush
8/23/09 2:07:48PM

Posted by ncordless

You guys really think Anderson is at all concerned about upsetting the powers that be? He doesn't strike me as that type of person at all, and he has no real need to worry about getting dropped from the UFC even if he refuses to fight "friends". UFC is not going to let Silva go and risk having 2 of the 3 top fighters in the world fighting outside the UFC. Silva holds all the cards in that relationship. I have no doubt that Silva will never be afraid to say who he will and won't fight and there is not much the UFC can do about it besides complain and even that they can't do too much. Anderson does seem to have a somewhat thin skin when it comes to criticism. That mixed with his constant talk of retirement and vacating the MW belt has to have the UFC worried that they may lose their top fighter if they do not keep him happy.

I think this has more to do with Belfort's falling out with Blackhouse. There is a long history of Brazilians turning on former teamates who have moved somewhere else.

The answer to your first question, yes, I think it is something that he needs to realize that in order to solidify his legacy (and that seems to be to challange fighters at LHW and HW) he needs to get the ok from the guys that pay his wages. I agree the UFC wants to keep him happy, but at the same time I get the sense that Silva knows that he will only go so far (legacy wise) fighting fighters that are not at the top of the division (i.e. top 3 fighters are likely his targets).

As for Belfort and Blackhouse, I don't think that can be generalized and must be taken on a case by case basis. This is considering most of the top fighters have trained at some point with several orgs including Chute Boxe, BTT and Black House. If all it took was to leave a fight camp to be enemies, they should all be enemies with each other.

postman
8/23/09 2:55:31PM
I truely belive that Anderson would fight a friend but he wouldn't fight a current everyday training partner. If you move on to a new camp the training bond is no longer there. I have trained with alot of guys, right now I have about 8 guys that are my team and I wouldn't fight. All the other guys who stop in and train here and there and bounce from gym to gym, sure their friends but if put in the ring with me then we put friendship aside for that fight. But the 8 guys I train everyday with there is no way I would fight them.
Boo_Radley21
8/23/09 3:55:07PM
If anyone's gonna beat Silva, I hope it's Vitor.
jae_1833
8/23/09 4:09:07PM
Seriously....Vitor, not a guy like Maia or Marquardt or Henderson....guys who have proven inside the Octagon to be deserving. You would want the guy who hasn't fought in the UFC for over 4 years! His last 2 KOs have been wins over guys who proved that they couldn't handle the talent of the UFCs MW Div. I want one of the top 3 guys to take the belt from A Silva if he doesn't vacate or retire.
prozacnation1978
8/23/09 7:53:10PM
these fighters need to just start fighting any body
silva vs belfort should happen but with this, silva has a huge advantage cause belfort is already in his mind that he doesn't wanna fight him, might be scared, and he will lose the fight on this alone if he is thinking this in the cage