Belfort agrees in principle to face Fedor on 11 days notice

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Belfort agrees in principle to face Fedor on 11 days notice
« Previous Page
Kpro
7/22/09 4:26:04PM

Posted by babytater03

Belfort wants a purse comparable to what Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski got paid to fight Fedor, which was $800,000 and $1.5 million, respectively. Rogers wants a figure approaching Sylvia’s purse.

Yeah, Affliction has no choice but to pay about a mil for a Belfort or Rogers because of how close the event is, and how badly they need a main event. Rightly so there's no way any half-name fighter would take this fight for low 6 figures, just knowing the bind the company is in.
GrandMaster313
7/22/09 4:32:01PM

Posted by Kpro

I'd like to hear Mousasi's take on this since Belfort is willing to leave 185 to face Fedor but not to face Mousasi

WAR VITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GrandMaster313
7/22/09 4:38:11PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Vitors got some balls stepping up to take this fight. I guess hes got nothing to loose, in that if he does loose, hes fighting the best fighter in the world, two weights above his own, on under two weeks notice. Nobody can even consider dropping his ranking for that.

And if he wins, well, hes just beat the best fighter in the world, two weights above his own, on under two weeks notice lol. Not the worst thing to have on your record.

WAR VITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rush
7/22/09 6:04:37PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Posted by Rush

Which means Fedor will have to cut.
The event is only 10 days away.

why would he have to cut? Vitor will weigh in at least 206 .

My mistake. I was thinking a LHW fight because I still don't think he could make 206, not if he is cutting properly for 185. Mind you if he wanted to be stupid and just eat a bunch before weighing in, I suppose he could add on a bit of food weight, but it would be foolish.
bigox420
7/22/09 6:19:29PM

Posted by king_katool

Posted by Kpro

I'd like to hear Mousasi's take on this since Belfort is willing to leave 185 to face Fedor but not to face Mousasi

i thought about this also, but then i put myself in the same situation, go out of weight class to help affliction and fight an up and comer, not too much to gain with a W alot to lose with a L, go out of weight class to fight the MMA god, win/win situation even if he loses IMO,

Who are you reffering to as an up and comer?
ThaAxeMurderer7
7/22/09 7:21:39PM

Posted by bigox420

Posted by king_katool

Posted by Kpro

i thought about this also, but then i put myself in the same situation, go out of weight class to help affliction and fight an up and comer, not too much to gain with a W alot to lose with a L, go out of weight class to fight the MMA god, win/win situation even if he loses IMO,

I believe he's referring to Santiago.
NewEnglandMMA
7/22/09 8:40:37PM
Tough fight for Fedor.. Vitor has nothing to lose and can knock out anyone with one shot...

I like this fight... nto as much as BArnett, but I still like this fight.
king_katool
7/22/09 10:13:41PM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Posted by bigox420

Posted by king_katool

Posted by Kpro

I believe he's referring to Santiago.

actually i was refering to mousasi, he's beated some good guys but i still feel he's an up and comer
WheelchairBandit
7/22/09 10:49:19PM
Vitor's got nothing to loose in this fight.He actually has a shot at winning-Fedor cuts very easily,and Vitor has a track record of busting guys open pretty badly (can you say Marvin Eastman?).

At any rate,Vitor will be competetive with Fedor for awhile.He's a bigger threat on the feet to Fedor than Barnett would have been,but he doesn't offer the sort of danger on the mat that Barnett did-the only thing Fedor would have to be worried about is Vitor sweeping him and getting some ground and pound on him.

I can see Vitor going a round or two with Fedor,keeping it entertaining,then eventually getting stopped by either a sub or ground and pound when he gets worn out from grappling with the bigger man.

I'm actually more interested to see this fight than the Barnett fight,to tell the truth-I know Barnett would have just eaten a lot of big shots on the feet and on the ground and would have been stopped inside of two rounds most likely.While I think Belfort is most likely going to be on the recieving end of the same treatment,I'm just interested in seeing how well he can do in there with Fedor.I think Vitor knows it's a nearly impossible fight for him to win,so I think he just wants to go out there and test himself.I want to see that.

WB.
prozacnation1978
7/23/09 1:24:31AM
lousy fight a guy who fights at 185 against a heavyweight
they should have gotten paul buentello

i feel sorry for all those people who bought tickets to the event
babytater03
7/23/09 3:31:18PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i feel sorry for all those people who bought tickets to the event

first thing i thought of.

just saw at MMAWeekly:.

Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio on Thursday told MMAWeekly.com that Fedor’s new opponent would be announced on Friday.
Pages: 1 [2]