Belfort agrees in principle to face Fedor on 11 days notice

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Belfort agrees in principle to face Fedor on 11 days notice
Next Page »
Kpro
7/22/09 4:32:32AM
Vitor Belfort has agreed in principle to face the world’s No. 1 heavyweight on 11 days’ notice, according to two separate sources close to the negotiations.

LINK

this is the recent update to the previous news story.
Kpro
7/22/09 4:43:37AM
Prepare for a 185er who's been KO'd by Leben and Belcher and instead get a 235 pounder who's beaten Arlovski, Sylvia, Lindland, and HMC in just over 8 minutes in his last 4 fights. Brutal.
mentalcase
7/22/09 4:46:00AM
i just posted this wtf?
Kpro
7/22/09 5:06:50AM

Posted by mentalcase

i just posted this wtf?

The other thread was focusing on Barnett's test and Lashley as a possibility.

The link was updated at Sherdog and I felt the update was newsworthy enough for a thread being that Belfort has agreed in principle.
mentalcase
7/22/09 5:22:07AM
so whats the point in posting the same story with a diferent headline, when people click on the link they get the updated story
Kpro
7/22/09 5:29:35AM

Posted by mentalcase

so whats the point in posting the same story with a diferent headline, when people click on the link they get the updated story

As I said, I consider the confirmation of Belfort stepping in to be worthy of it's own thread, to focus discussion on that fight rather than Lashley hearsay and Barnett test results which is how the other thread was going based on all comments being off of reading the article before the update.

The fact that I've even been propped for pointing that updated part out in this thread, shows that obviously many people did not see this news at the time they clicked the link in the other thread.

Not many people click a link on a News thread, and then go back 12 hours later and click again to see if there is updated information. Multiple sources confirming Belfort's agreement is big news and something missed by over a hundred users who clicked the link before "that" news was put in.

If you want a different link that bad though, here you go LINK
sclasclemski
7/22/09 5:59:13AM
WEll I did just post in the other thread but I will do it here too...This is Affliction's Kimbo incident...I doubt they will be able to come back from this...while I don't think this will change the outcome of the fight it is a way different fight and no where near as interesting
Kpro
7/22/09 6:01:42AM
I'd like to hear Mousasi's take on this since Belfort is willing to leave 185 to face Fedor but not to face Mousasi
Aaronno9
7/22/09 7:22:08AM
Vitors got some balls stepping up to take this fight. I guess hes got nothing to loose, in that if he does loose, hes fighting the best fighter in the world, two weights above his own, on under two weeks notice. Nobody can even consider dropping his ranking for that.

And if he wins, well, hes just beat the best fighter in the world, two weights above his own, on under two weeks notice lol. Not the worst thing to have on your record.
king_katool
7/22/09 7:57:14AM

Posted by Kpro

I'd like to hear Mousasi's take on this since Belfort is willing to leave 185 to face Fedor but not to face Mousasi

i thought about this also, but then i put myself in the same situation, go out of weight class to help affliction and fight an up and comer, not too much to gain with a W alot to lose with a L, go out of weight class to fight the MMA god, win/win situation even if he loses IMO,
The_Metal_Maniac
7/22/09 8:42:56AM
This is extremely disappointing news. Fedor vs. Josh was pretty much the fight I was looking forward to most this Summer. I really thought Josh stood a legitimate shot at defeating Fedor. Now to have a suspect middle weight to fight the number one ranked heavy weight is ridiculous. Affliction is now done.
XblacksheepX
7/22/09 9:17:49AM

Posted by Kpro

i guess it's a much better payday.
Mayhem13
7/22/09 10:25:08AM
this sucks.

Fedor by TKO

and now no, Belfort vs Santiago.....and probably no one to step in against Santiago in this short of notice...maybe Jesse Taylor can? or someone atleast somewhat decent like him, who are looking to get some fights.
Irish_Pride
7/22/09 1:01:11PM
This fight is not going to be as interesting as the Barnett vs Fedor fight. I don't think Belfort stands a chance. Who is going to fight Santiago now? Is that fight going to be dropped or is someone going to replace Belfort?
nickcuc547
7/22/09 1:01:53PM
props to belfort but this is disappointing on all levels, not only was fedor barnett going to be huge, but the fight i was looking forward to seeing next most was belfort santiago, tough break but hopefully this is the shot in the arm fedor needs to up with the ufc.
joshryanshepherd
7/22/09 1:25:17PM
this is all pretty hard to take in. and im okay with Barnett being out but why of all people Belfort? why not Paul or Gilbert? And a Sobral Rematch would have been nice.

This is so aggravating
sclasclemski
7/22/09 1:36:08PM
Belfort wasn't fighting Sobral he was fighting Santiago
joshryanshepherd
7/22/09 1:40:24PM

Posted by sclasclemski

Belfort wasn't fighting Sobral he was fighting Santiago

I know. i just think that if Belfort and Jorge can get split up then Renato and Gegard can. just makes since!

on second thought how about Rogers or Werdum. both of those are interesting because Werdum beat Aleks and Rogers just KOd AA. and before you mention Overeem V Werdum, its supposed to be canceled due to an Overeem injury, right?

sclasclemski
7/22/09 1:42:52PM
I think Brett would be very interesting...imagine if he did the same thing to fedor he did to Arlovski....Wouldn't happen but just imagine if it did....there would be anarchy in the world MMA
joshryanshepherd
7/22/09 1:44:49PM
well its a good thing Fedor's Chin isn't made of cotton candy
Rush
7/22/09 2:06:32PM
Whether he agrees or not, how is this bout going to get sanctioned? Yes, this is a rhetorical question because I don't see it even happening at a catch weight.
wrona666
7/22/09 2:09:03PM
well so much for Affliction after this event.....This is going to kill the PPV buys.....I know i wont buy it now.....
mrsmiley
7/22/09 2:23:24PM
Vitor has got a punches chance of beating anyone,but like stated above,why not Rogers,Werdum,at least another HW.
Giant_Ochai
7/22/09 2:26:05PM

Posted by Rush

Whether he agrees or not, how is this bout going to get sanctioned?

Very easily. Vitor's walking around at 200-205. He can eat food.
Rush
7/22/09 2:27:56PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by Rush

Whether he agrees or not, how is this bout going to get sanctioned?

Very easily. Vitor's walking around at 200-205. He can eat food.

Which means Fedor will have to cut. Also, when a fighter is said to be walking at X lbs it means that it is before they start their weight cut for the fight. I bet Vitor is well into his cut and Fedor hasn't even thought about cutting because he doesn't have to.

The event is only 10 days away.
KaibaThedon
7/22/09 2:28:35PM
I would definitely not wanna fight Fedor

Props to him
Mayhem13
7/22/09 2:50:48PM
They shoulda called up Jeff Monson, he is always down to fight. Has one in late August and mid September set up..I am sure he woulda took this one to though.

And I think it makes for an interesting fight...plus we still get to keep Vitor and Santiago
babytater03
7/22/09 3:39:06PM
i just read this on another site:

Josh Gross has an update on the figures being thrown around. Belfort wants a purse comparable to what Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski got paid to fight Fedor, which was $800,000 and $1.5 million, respectively. Rogers wants a figure approaching Sylvia’s purse. Ouch.

so apparently they're really pulling for the Belfort angle and it seems that Rogers is still in talks, even though his manager has said he's not fighting again until October.

mmaconvert.com had this update
RearNakedJoke
7/22/09 4:07:15PM
this sucks i was looking forward to the fight with barnett.

can belfort make the 210 limit on a weeks(maybe less if they dont decide soon) notice? either way Belfort's the man! i was never a fan but he's been really growing on me.

Rogers has nothing to lose in this fight. if he wins thats a huge stock increase for him! the pay day alone would be spectacular. and if he loses, hey his first loss was to Fedor. no shame in that! what affliction should do is offer him a big check to step up maybe 100k. then a gianormous win bonus, maybe 400k.

maybe they can get Tim for a second go. He probably doesnt have any plans for the weekend.

how about Frank Shamrock? he'll step up i'm sure.

the only thing that REALLY makes sense to me is have Yvel step up. he fought Barnett last and he proved to be a tough SOB.

the UFC could loan them someone to earn some brownie points with Fedor

well its a good thing Fedor's Chin isn't made of cotton candy

lol

at the end of the day what this all comes down to is stop scheduling shows that your companies future depends on in california!

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
7/22/09 4:18:44PM

Posted by Rush

Which means Fedor will have to cut.
The event is only 10 days away.

why would he have to cut? Vitor will weigh in at least 206 .
Pages: [1] 2