Beijing Olympics 2008

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Beijing Olympics 2008
Next Page »
Rush
8/6/08 8:19:05AM
I'll sticky this until the games are over. As always I am excited to watch the games. However, as per usual a number of events I want to see are not televised in Canada. I have heard that online streaming (and preferably not live only coverage) will be available all over.

If you have links as to where I can watch events like judo, wrestling, archery and handball (not just the finals) post 'em and I'll put the links in the first post for everyone. I did hear a rumour that youtube was doing something with the Olympics, but I haven't looked into it.

Sites with schedules and online broadcasts.
CBC
NBC - not sure if only US IPs can access
TVTonic - requires vista

**update on youtube - I read that the videos will not be available to US (and most likely most first world countries)
babalu2720
8/6/08 2:01:10PM
USA... USA... USA...
MMAcca
8/6/08 4:08:26PM

Posted by babalu2720

USA... USA... USA...

WAR GB!
bigbubbano23
8/6/08 11:07:42PM
someone please post judo schedule
Meg
8/7/08 5:34:54PM
You don't want to watch the Puppy Games on Animal Planet? Preposterous!
Rush
8/8/08 1:16:10PM

Posted by bigbubbano23

someone please post judo schedule

Judo schedule

That is just the schedule. I am still tryign to find when and where to watch it since Canadian TV only shows the finals for events where our athletes are competing.

I might have to get an online feed from Korea or Japan
mrkennedy
8/8/08 2:51:36PM
GO CANADA GO
DCRage
8/8/08 5:29:12PM
Also, the NBC live streaming is only available through certain cable providers. Found that out when trying to sign up for it today, fortunately my provider's included.
juanez13
8/8/08 6:55:31PM
Man the Opening Ceromy was AMAZING!...I expected such spectacle from China but it still blew my mind.
mrkennedy
8/8/08 9:40:33PM

Posted by juanez13

Man the Opening Ceromy was AMAZING!...I expected such spectacle from China but it still blew my mind.

yeah it was great
SpiderSilva
8/9/08 1:08:22AM
yep I peed my pants thats how good it was
juanez13
8/9/08 1:30:48PM
China starting out good with 2 Gold Medals, US taking one of each.

Spain with one gold, WaR Spain!
Rush
8/9/08 7:17:40PM

Posted by juanez13

I think China will make it's like the 70's again when the USSR dominated.
juanez13
8/10/08 11:39:02AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by juanez13

I think China will make it's like the 70's again when the USSR dominated.

could very well be, China now with 6 gold and 2 silver. US second with 2/2/4.
Rush
8/10/08 8:46:50PM
Make it third. Korea (my other fave country) is in second now.
rabbit915
8/10/08 9:27:18PM
The thing about the medal counts is that the Chinese are going to take a huge lead only to have the Americans come back when track and field events start. The Chinese have only a couple of real competitors on the track and the U.S. generally dominate.

It should be pretty close in the end though.
Svartorm
8/11/08 12:39:44AM
I plug in my bedroom tv every two years for the Olympics, and watch them religiously. I literally walked the bottoms of my feet of at the gym watching Olympic boxing last time around because it was broadcast for 5 hours a day, and I didn't want to be one of those guys that stands on a machine to watch tv.

So far the highlights for me have been:

1. When that Croatian guy KO'd a Samoan so badly he has to be stretchered out. Not that I'm happy the guy got hurt, but for someone to knock out a Samoan with head gear on, using a 20 oz glove, thats crazy impressive. That boys got to be able to KO elephants or something.

2. When the US wrecked France in the big swimming relay with a come from behind victory. The best part was that the last French guy looked over to his left and looked genuinely surprised to see the American there when he was half a body length behind just a few seconds beforehand.

3. One of the mens gymnastics guys pulled off a routine on the pommelhorse that he completely failed at two months before, and got some ridiculous score. I like seeing athletes rise to the occasion like that.
juanez13
8/11/08 2:20:39AM

Posted by Svartorm

1. When that Croatian guy KO'd a Samoan so badly he has to be stretchered out. Not that I'm happy the guy got hurt, but for someone to knock out a Samoan with head gear on, using a 20 oz glove, thats crazy impressive. That boys got to be able to KO elephants or something.

Yea, That was crazy.
Rush
8/11/08 9:32:37AM

Posted by Svartorm

2. When the US wrecked France in the big swimming relay with a come from behind victory. The best part was that the last French guy looked over to his left and looked genuinely surprised to see the American there when he was half a body length behind just a few seconds beforehand.

Imagine being the team that finished 5th. They still broke the old world record and didn't even get a medal.
Aaronno9
8/11/08 10:52:58PM
I only really tune in for the track and feild. Its the same thing every time, i start with no interest at all, and by the end im watching religously hoping GB can get a decent medal count.
juanez13
8/11/08 11:36:50PM
US now with the highest medal count 6 Gold/6 Silver/ 7 B (19 total), But China still with the highest # of Gold medals with 9, and second in # of medals in total with 14. Korea doing good too with 4 gold and 5 silver..
Aaronno9
8/12/08 8:07:49AM
Ive got into it a little bit earlier this year, ive litterally watched 7 hours straight today. I was really enjoying watching the doubles babminton, its pretty fun.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
8/12/08 12:22:35PM
Wrestling just started...Mango lost. That 18 year old that I hate because he's four years younger than me will be wrestling tonight...plus my old high school buddy Henry Cejudo.
Jackelope
8/12/08 9:49:20PM
WTF I can't find any Judo on my TV digital cable provider. I tried to watch the streaming ones on NBC but it's laggy as all hell
Rush
8/12/08 10:28:04PM
The swimming is just ridiculous. Almost every semi final and final a WR is broken by someone (or in many cases by several people in the same heat). I know they are wearing new suits, but WTF. Almost every WR in swimming has been broken at least once this year.

Also, my suspicions were correct. That cute little girl in the opening ceremony was lip syncing. Only thing was, I thought it was her actual voice. I just found out that the voice was of another girl that the Chinese felt was not good looking enough to actually sing at the opening ceremony.

I also heard that some of the TV footage of the opening ceremony was digitally enhanced.
Jackelope
8/12/08 10:40:28PM
Man, they're showing synchronized diving

Don't get me wrong the technicality of this event is beyond respectable, but who really wants to watch this stuff? Bleh.
Svartorm
8/12/08 11:44:58PM
There is no judo being shown AT ALL this year, and wrestling is on at 5am most days. Boxing is on from 5pm-8pm every day, so at least thats easy enough to watch, but at least show the medal events for Judo!
juanez13
8/12/08 11:57:52PM

Posted by Svartorm

There is no judo being shown AT ALL this year, and wrestling is on at 5am most days. Boxing is on from 5pm-8pm every day, so at least thats easy enough to watch, but at least show the medal events for Judo!

Yea it sucks major! Have catched a couple wrestling matches but not all, Boxing though I have followed.

But yea Rush, so many records being surpased. Phelps is a Machine!
Jackelope
8/13/08 8:05:31AM

Posted by Svartorm

Call me crazy but boxing doesn't satisfy me. I can watch it on HBO or showtime almost every weekend. Some local radio DJ's were talking about the olympic broadcasts and I have to agree with what they were saying.

Basically it boils down to being able to watch things you're not normally able to watch. Why watch olympic basketball when during the NBA season you can watch better players compete? Judo needs to be shown because it's not too often you catch a judo tournament on TV (if ever??) and the same goes for wrestling. It's just completely ridiculous to me that they wouldn't show a single Judo event. Especially when you consider on a worldwide level it's one of the most popular sports out there.

So basically- I'm in agreement with you. No Judo sucks.
DCRage
8/13/08 8:14:54AM
But how high would the US ratings for judo be? Chances are, not very high. Not knocking judo by any means as I like it myself since it's part of martial arts, but NBC knows it won't draw the ratings other sports will and that won'y satisfy the almighty ad execs who pay the big bucks. It's probably somewhere on nbcolympics.com.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4