Beginner Help

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Beginner Help
Krazyy
10/18/09 11:11:17PM
I'm just starting to get into MMA, and I need a good training routine. I'm looking to gain muscle and get good conditioning. I'm 17, 6"4', and around 155 pounds, so as you can see, I need to put on some weight. I used to lift when I played basketball, but due to personal stuff, I had to quit basketball and lifting. Now that I've got all my stuff together, I want to get in shape and try out MMA. I don't live near a gym to train at. I'm going to start my classes this summer when I go on vacation. I would really like a good weight training, cardio, and nutrition guide/routine for a beginner. Also if anyone could recommend any good supplements such as protein, creatine, etc., it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help!
Rush
10/19/09 11:31:28AM
My main recommendation with you would be, if you are serious about all this, talk to a personal trainer and a nutritionist regarding exercise and diet programs. They will (should) know better than anyone on this board.

If you are just doing it for fun, try experimenting with different diets and routines, for 3-6 months at a time and see what works for you both physically and mentally.

Before you ask anyone any further questions, you need to be more specific with your fitness goals. Saying, "I want it all" is not really realistic IMO. Make a list of priorities over what is more important for you: strength, endurance, stamina, flexibility, weight, etc.

People can give you all sorts of advice, but your goals need to be realistic and specific. Sure we all want to be the best at everything, but most people don't have the body, time, money and dedication for that.

If you're just starting out, I would bet that the workout you'll get from training in an MMA class will certainly bump you up a notch overall. Beyond that, you need to decide what you really want your specific fitness goals to be.
Jackelope
10/19/09 1:38:37PM

Posted by Rush

My main recommendation with you would be, if you are serious about all this, talk to a personal trainer and a nutritionist regarding exercise and diet programs. They will (should) know better than anyone on this board.

If you are just doing it for fun, try experimenting with different diets and routines, for 3-6 months at a time and see what works for you both physically and mentally.

Before you ask anyone any further questions, you need to be more specific with your fitness goals. Saying, "I want it all" is not really realistic IMO. Make a list of priorities over what is more important for you: strength, endurance, stamina, flexibility, weight, etc.

People can give you all sorts of advice, but your goals need to be realistic and specific. Sure we all want to be the best at everything, but most people don't have the body, time, money and dedication for that.

If you're just starting out, I would bet that the workout you'll get from training in an MMA class will certainly bump you up a notch overall. Beyond that, you need to decide what you really want your specific fitness goals to be.

This is basically like saying you want a college education all from one post on the board. We can't lay out all of your goals and help you accomplish them from over the internet. Follow Rush's advice, take it a step at a time, and keep your goals realistic. Utilize what you have in your area to get started. Everyone dreams big, but not everyone acts realistically enough to accomplish those dreams.
Rush
10/19/09 3:05:15PM
I want to add one thing to my post, by referring to serious, I mean, if you intend to persue MMA at a level where you would consider going pro.