Beating Chael Sonnen Will Get Nate Marquardt The Next Title Shot

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Beating Chael Sonnen Will Get Nate Marquardt The Next Title Shot
DCRage
1/14/10 11:55:39AM
According to Marquardt, of course. He is of the understanding that a win over the streaking Chael Sonnen at UFC 109 gets him a one way ticket to a 185-pound title match. Dan Henderson seemed to think the same thing, until a series of setbacks led to his departure after his Zuffa contract dried up. He also doesn't agree with Vitor Belfort getting the next shot at Anderson Silva "just because he hasn't really fought at 185".

Article
karn501
1/14/10 12:10:53PM
imo marquardt already deserves a title shot but I also believe belfort does if beating shogun got griffin a title shot then beating franklin should get belfort one
DCRage
1/14/10 12:21:14PM
Except the Franklin-Belfort fight was catch weight at 195. So Nate kinda has a point there.
chubbud22
1/14/10 12:55:37PM
Sonnan just got subed by Maia not to long ago. Marquardt has already been schooled by Anderson. I think Marquardt and Belfort should fight for a number 1 contender, or give Anderson someone new like belfor and the winner of that fight can fight nate if he beats Sonnen.
gsp69
1/14/10 2:06:13PM
i agree, belfort shouldv fought marquardt 1st, and anderson hav anotha lhw fight, maybe the likes of thiago silva, or winner of rashad vs rampage, then fight winner of marquardt vs belfort 4 the mw title!!
xdanish020
1/14/10 5:27:01PM
It should be Marquardt vs. Silva and Belfort vs. Sonnen, IMO.
george112
1/14/10 5:53:22PM
well other matchups aside. I think Nates got this one pretty easily.

Sonnen is good.but his style really doesnt match up with Nates. Nate will finish this via TKO sometime during the fight
higdon10
1/14/10 6:25:39PM
Good, Nate should already have his shot.
karn501
1/15/10 1:43:16AM

Posted by DCRage

Except the Franklin-Belfort fight was catch weight at 195. So Nate kinda has a point there.

I completely forgot it was a catch weight my bad but still its vitor belfort they give people title shots all the time just because they have a name does mir deserve to be fighting for a title even a fake one after beating one person after losing to lesnar I don't think he does I may be alone on that one but we can't act like this never happens look at hardy
bjj1605
1/15/10 3:41:20AM

Posted by karn501

Posted by DCRage

I completely forgot it was a catch weight my bad but still its vitor belfort they give people title shots all the time just because they have a name does mir deserve to be fighting for a title even a fake one after beating one person after losing to lesnar I don't think he does I may be alone on that one but we can't act like this never happens look at hardy

Considering he's also already beaten lesnar and knocked out Big Nog, I'd say you'd have a hard time finding someone more deserving.
CwB
1/15/10 6:18:38AM

Posted by karn501

Posted by DCRage

... does mir deserve to be fighting for a title even a fake one after beating one person after losing to lesnar I don't think he does ...

Mir wouldnt be getting a Title Shot if Lesner wasnt Sidelined...

If you only look at what Belfort has done in the UFC then ya, he doesnt deserve it, but he looked great in his fights in Affliction and had one hell of an impressive KO over a former champ/ top contender.

Nate deserved it more but its not like he wont get his shot. if he truly deserves his shot he will handle Sonnen and be next in line. The main reason he was leapfrogged was he has already lost to Andy.