How to beat Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » How to beat Anderson Silva
« Previous Page
shogunassassin
8/13/09 4:25:58AM

Posted by mentalcase

if you think any decent HW would beat Silva your sadly mistaken, we saw how many times kongo taged velasques in the short time they were standing if silva taged him he would go to sleep and he has better takedown defence then kongo

Mir would get detroyed like what brandon vera did to him

lesner would put up a decent fight but i dont think he could hold silva down for the whole fight and would end up getting KOed

The heavyweights will 'usually' have a better chin, and will be able to press Silva up against the cage, or simply take him down and squash him. Silva would get tired out from grappling a bigger guy.
Lesnar can handle Mir on the ground easily, Lesnar would subdue Silva pretty quick. I do BJJ, and as a small guy, I know sparring with big dudes tires you out unless you catch them early.

Lesnar rushing you on your feet is alot different to Hendo, or even Forrest. I would definately bet on Brock.

I know what would be an interesting matchup though - Crocop (if in form) vs Silva. He might actually have to think about defending himself!
hippysmacker
8/13/09 4:29:41AM

Posted by shogunassassin

Posted by mentalcase

if you think any decent HW would beat Silva your sadly mistaken, we saw how many times kongo taged velasques in the short time they were standing if silva taged him he would go to sleep and he has better takedown defence then kongo

Mir would get detroyed like what brandon vera did to him

lesner would put up a decent fight but i dont think he could hold silva down for the whole fight and would end up getting KOed

The heavyweights will 'usually' have a better chin, and will be able to press Silva up against the cage, or simply take him down and squash him. Silva would get tired out from grappling a bigger guy.
Lesnar can handle Mir on the ground easily, Lesnar would subdue Silva pretty quick. I do BJJ, and as a small guy, I know sparring with big dudes tires you out unless you catch them early.

Lesnar rushing you on your feet is alot different to Hendo, or even Forrest. I would definately bet on Brock.

I know what would be an interesting matchup though - Crocop (if in form) vs Silva. He might actually have to think about defending himself!

I agree completely. Also Mir is not the same guy who lost to Vera anymore, hes actually healthy and training hard now.
fonduktoe
8/13/09 4:55:26AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by fonduktoe

anyone that thinks mousasi would win this fight needs to check themselves
a guy who was arm-barred by ghono and has very few wins over elite fighters shouldn't be mentioned in this thread

Tht was also 3 years ago, and Mousasi now trains with Fedor, and beat Jacare(arguably the most accomplished ground guy in MMA today-2004 and 2005 Openweight World Jiu-Jitsu Champion, the 2005 77–87 kg Abu dhabi Champ) so Its safe to assume Mousasi has gotten much better on the ground since then. Also, I didnt even think it was fair to mention guys who only fight at heavy. I would take a whole slew of them over Anderson,and think fedor would finish him really quick.

yeah mousasi beat jacare via upkick (wink wink) i just don't see a jj fighter beating silva. or a standup fighter. maybe a wrestler with good standup and a huge chin, oh wait, he already beat henderson.
mrsmiley
8/13/09 7:14:27AM

Posted by hippysmacker

I have to agree with RNC.

chin, clinch, takedowns ,wrestling, position, GnP. I am not sure if Hendo posseses the physical strength to overpower and keep him on the ground for 5 rounds, but I think he has all the rest, and the best chance at 185 still. If Randy fought him at 205, It would all come down to whether or not Randy got KOed before he hot a hold of him and took him down every round.I think Randy would definitely muscle him around in the clinch, take hm down, keep hm down, and beat on him every round till the bell rang ins 3 round fight personally. In a 5 rounder I think Anderson would eventually catch and finish him.

I agree hippy.
To me,this seems to be the only reasonable way to take Anderson as of now.
shogunassassin
8/13/09 7:48:22AM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by hippysmacker

I have to agree with RNC.

chin, clinch, takedowns ,wrestling, position, GnP. I am not sure if Hendo posseses the physical strength to overpower and keep him on the ground for 5 rounds, but I think he has all the rest, and the best chance at 185 still. If Randy fought him at 205, It would all come down to whether or not Randy got KOed before he hot a hold of him and took him down every round.I think Randy would definitely muscle him around in the clinch, take hm down, keep hm down, and beat on him every round till the bell rang ins 3 round fight personally. In a 5 rounder I think Anderson would eventually catch and finish him.

I agree hippy.
To me,this seems to be the only reasonable way to take Anderson as of now.

so to sum up, its not a 'method' that will defeat Silva, but individuals with individual ability;
Lyoto Machida with unorthodox strikin/BJJ
Captain America by controlling him, pressing, GnP,
Lesnar and Fedor by sheer power and mass.

The three codes; be faster than him, Stifle him, or overpower him.
RNC
8/13/09 6:34:15PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by RNC
100% of what you just said is incorrect. Couture isn't physically strong? Couture manhandled a 250lb beast in Gabriel Gonzaga for 3 rounds. He threw 6'8" 270lb Tim Sylvia around like a child, and hell, he even gave Brock Lesnar a difficult time in the clinch, all while he was outweighed and outsized. Those examples are the exact definition of brute strength.

That is 100% NOT the definition of brute strength. He used technicality to get those guys to the ground. HUGE difference. Brute strength is Matt Hughes lifting people over his head or Rampage slamming fighters.

So you're saying that when Couture picked up and slammed guys like Gonzaga and Liddell that it was all technique and no strength? No. It's a mixture of both strength and technique. You can be 155lbs and have the best technique in the world, but you are not going to do well against someone 255lbs with only decent technique because he's 100lbs heavier.

But that's beyond the point. The point is that Couture is capable of beating up bigger and stronger guys in the clinch, taking them down and pounding them out. It doesn't matter if its because he's the strongest guy or the most technically sound. What matters is that he is one of the best in the game at doing so, and if he fights Anderson, he has the best style to give him a competitive fight.
hippysmacker
8/13/09 7:38:46PM

Posted by RNC

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by RNC
100% of what you just said is incorrect. Couture isn't physically strong? Couture manhandled a 250lb beast in Gabriel Gonzaga for 3 rounds. He threw 6'8" 270lb Tim Sylvia around like a child, and hell, he even gave Brock Lesnar a difficult time in the clinch, all while he was outweighed and outsized. Those examples are the exact definition of brute strength.

That is 100% NOT the definition of brute strength. He used technicality to get those guys to the ground. HUGE difference. Brute strength is Matt Hughes lifting people over his head or Rampage slamming fighters.

So you're saying that when Couture picked up and slammed guys like Gonzaga and Liddell that it was all technique and no strength? No. It's a mixture of both strength and technique. You can be 155lbs and have the best technique in the world, but you are not going to do well against someone 255lbs with only decent technique because he's 100lbs heavier.

But that's beyond the point. The point is that Couture is capable of beating up bigger and stronger guys in the clinch, taking them down and pounding them out. It doesn't matter if its because he's the strongest guy or the most technically sound. What matters is that he is one of the best in the game at doing so, and if he fights Anderson, he has the best style to give him a competitive fight.

I think the point you are trying to make is functional grappling strength ?
Mayhem13
8/13/09 8:39:44PM
In order to beat Mr. Anderson Silva, you have 3 options:

1- find a way to conceal a weapon into the octagon.

2- learn how to turn into Fedor

3- be a real life Tyranasoraus Rex

Those are your 3 options.
RNC
8/13/09 9:42:57PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by RNC

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by RNC

I think the point you are trying to make is functional grappling strength ?

Yes, thank you.
hippysmacker
8/14/09 12:01:08AM
welcome
shogunassassin
8/14/09 4:09:47AM

Posted by Mayhem13

I'm not sure about the T-Rex.
I think Anderson could take a T-Rex.
hippysmacker
8/14/09 5:16:42AM

Posted by shogunassassin

Posted by Mayhem13

Yeah there vision is based on visual acuity. He could just stand still chin out till it looked the other way, then BLAM headkick!
shogunassassin
8/14/09 5:39:18AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by shogunassassin

Posted by Mayhem13

Yeah there vision is based on visual acuity. He could just stand still chin out till it looked the other way, then BLAM headkick!

I think he'd wait for it to lunge for him and take it out with a flying triangle.
jawbreaker517
8/14/09 1:29:02PM
a good recipe for beating silva would be rampage- a good chin with explosive physical power that can also knock u out.
emfleek
8/14/09 2:09:59PM

Posted by shogunassassin

Let's take a closer look. Anderson would OBVIOUSLY have a distinct reach advantage, but here's what else we know...

Violence108
8/14/09 3:39:24PM
Fedor??? he drops to 205, Silva goes up to 205. BOOM best fight in the world, who ever wins is the best in the world (cough Silva)
RNC
8/14/09 3:48:12PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by shogunassassin

Let's take a closer look. Anderson would OBVIOUSLY have a distinct reach advantage, but here's what else we know...

Devastator
8/15/09 7:29:14PM
You can't leg kick someone who has been training MT since he was child. Do reallly think your leg kicks is going to affect him. Silva's nerves in his leg is probably gone. He won't feel your leg kicks.
RNC
8/15/09 9:20:22PM

Posted by Devastator

You can't leg kick someone who has been training MT since he was child. Do reallly think your leg kicks is going to affect him. Silva's nerves in his leg is probably gone. He won't feel your leg kicks.

What are you talking about?
shogunassassin
8/16/09 5:47:18AM

Posted by Devastator

Thats like saying you can't sub a jujitsu guy.?!
J2K
8/16/09 10:02:53AM
well renzo never tapped with sakuraba maybe he didnt feel it?
Rush
8/17/09 11:57:44AM
I know the perfect way to beat Anderson, but it's a secret so I can't tell anyone.

You can also find all the answers at bjpenn.com

runningman08
8/18/09 2:12:11PM
How to beat Anderson Silva?

Take him down. Keep control of top position, ground and pound and stay out of submissions. A better position would be to put him against the cage and come down with ground and pound. Guys who have a chance of beating Silva? Dan Henderson, Randy Couture, Lyoto Machida. I cant think of to many more guys. A lot of people have been saying john Jones. I don't like to get to hyped up for newer fighters. Jones is good and could be the future of MMA but it would be a bad idea to throw someone that young in there with Silva. I don't think it would get the biggest PPV buys and i just don't see the UFC doing a good job at hyping up the fight. Maybe in the future.
mikevolz
8/18/09 4:02:14PM
bottom game ju-jitsu.

(leglocks especially)
Pages: 1 [2]