How to beat Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » How to beat Anderson Silva
Next Page »
shogunassassin
8/12/09 8:56:18AM
What do people have to do to beat Anderson Silva?

IMO, people give him far too much respect, and they dance around just outside of their own range, and land right in his.

I think the only way to beat A.S is to dirty the fight up a little, more clinching (avoiding the thai clinch), take him down, press him up against the cage.

Another key is to limit his mobility, chop the tree down, leg kicks (keeping hands up!). And when attacking, attack in unpredictabe combos, but keep the hands up.

Alternatively, a very good BJJ practitioner could get it done.

Here are the people I think capable of such a feat;

Lyoto Machida,
Shogun,
Hendo,
Marquart,
Maia,
Moussasi

Any thoughts?

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
imanidiot777
8/12/09 9:23:55AM

Posted by shogunassassin

What do people have to do to beat Anderson Silva?

IMO, people give him far too much respect, and they dance around just outside of their own range, and land right in his.

I think the only way to beat A.S is to dirty the fight up a little, more clinching (avoiding the thai clinch), take him down, press him up against the cage.

Another key is to limit his mobility, chop the tree down, leg kicks (keeping hands up!). And when attacking, attack in unpredictabe combos, but keep the hands up.

Alternatively, a very good BJJ practitioner could get it done.

Here are the people I think capable of such a feat;

Lyoto Machida,
Shogun,
Hendo,
Marquart,
Maia,
Moussasi

Any thoughts?

Leg kicks he likes to catch and toss you backwards as we have seen in his last two fights and Hendo tried the idea of keeping him pressed and dirty boxing for a little. Forget trying to attack him on the feet, unpredictable combos do not exist in his world, he will beat anyone in the stand-up. And if you did not know, Anderson Silva is a ridiculous BJJ practitioner himself.

Machida is the only one I can see on that list with a chance.
Shogun - He would get murdered in the stand-up.
Henderson - already lost once and although I think he has the best chance I don't see it happening.
Marquardt - No.
Maia - Has amazing BJJ but wouldn't get it to the ground.
Moussasi - No.

The other person I think has a chance, you are going to hate me, is Randy Couture. If he moves down to 205, he is a pretty thick 205 pounder, probably bigger than Henderson, and he can do what Henderson does with cage pressing and dirty boxing.
mentalcase
8/12/09 9:34:09AM
theirs only two fighters that have a chance of beating him and that's 50/50 at best.

one just signed with strikeforce and the other he shares his manager with
shogunassassin
8/12/09 10:00:09AM
Fedor?
I'm not counting heavyweights.
I would expect Lesnar to beat Anderson, just by leaning on him.
Who is the other one?
shogunassassin
8/12/09 10:05:27AM

Posted by imanidiot777

Leg kicks he likes to catch and toss you backwards as we have seen in his last two fights and Hendo tried the idea of keeping him pressed and dirty boxing for a little. Anderson Silva is a ridiculous BJJ practitioner himself.

Machida is the only one I can see on that list with a chance.
Shogun - He would get murdered in the stand-up.
Henderson - already lost once and although I think he has the best chance I don't see it happening.
Marquardt - No.
Maia - Has amazing BJJ but wouldn't get it to the ground.
Moussasi - No.
Randy Couture. I

He wouldn't catch the leg kick If it was part of a combo. Throw the kick, throw the hand, he will not lower his.
I know Anderson is great at BJJ, but as you say, Maia could do it, if he could get him down. Why don't more people do the relentless GSP/Koscheck takedown? I mean the drive and the tug.

I don't think Randy would get close enought to him.
I think Marquardt has a good chance now, his combos are pretty good these days. Thats why I like Shogun. The relentless approach rather than the picking shot approach. But you're right, the only real contender is Lyoto.
cowcatcher
8/12/09 10:17:42AM
mentalcase was referring to gegard mousassi and i agree that he would pose a challenge for silva, hes very well rounded and seems to fight the smart fight based on his opponent. fedor definitely belongs on the short list as well. other than that i guess machida should get mentioned as well but the list gets thin from that point on.
SmileR
8/12/09 10:20:47AM
Hendo stands a good chance of beating him if he stuck to the game plan he had for the first fight in the first round but other than him at MW I don't see many others giving him to much trouble.
At LHW though I can see him losing to quite a few people. Couture is a big LHW with a strength advantage, better clinch, wrestling and he always comes with a good game plan so I honestly think he'd beat Anderson if they fought. Via UD but I honestly think he'd grind out a decision.
Also Shogun if he really is back to 100% could and has troubled the best in the world so he also stands a chance but after watching what he did to Forrest who regardless of what people say is a legit top 5 LHW I can see Silva being a big threat at LHW.
shogunassassin
8/12/09 10:33:49AM

Posted by cowcatcher

mentalcase was referring to gegard mousassi and i agree that he would pose a challenge for silva, hes very well rounded and seems to fight the smart fight based on his opponent. fedor definitely belongs on the short list as well. other than that i guess machida should get mentioned as well but the list gets thin from that point on.

Mousassi is in the original list. But I wasn't really interested in HW, I think any decent HW should be able to beat him. I mean Fedor, Velasquez , Lesnar, Mir, they would take him down and hold him there for decisions.

I would love to see Fedor Silva though.
DCRage
8/12/09 10:40:25AM

Posted by shogunassassin

Fedor?
I'm not counting heavyweights.
I would expect Lesnar to beat Anderson, just by leaning on him.
Who is the other one?

Machida. Thus Anderson says he'll never fight him.
DJBlankenship
8/12/09 10:42:33AM
machida---yes I think it would be a boring fight though. Nether likes to press the issue and machida will not fall into the Silva taunting game like Forest did.

Henderson---as said before, if he sticks to his game plan..yes

Couture----don't ever bet against the dude. Even if he is 10000 years old, got one leg and fighting blind.

Only other 2 I can think of that has a small chance is Rampage and Liddell. Rampage would have to set a crazy, but smart pace and Liddel can knock people out with punches that looks like my 2 year old girl would throw.

Anyone else beats him should go play the lottery the same night.
ncordless
8/12/09 10:49:26AM
Travis Lutter and Henderson have already laid the gameplan on how to beat Anderson. Whether anyone has the skills to actually pull it off remains to be seen.

Obviously it is important to get the fight to the ground. From there you fight conservatively to stay out of subs.

Anderson has good subs, but I am not sold on his sub defense. Someone with good takedowns, good sub defense, good top control, and good subs has the best chance to beat Anderson.

At 185 that is Maia. Marquardt and Hendo fulfill at least a couple of those neccessities.
shogunassassin
8/12/09 10:54:00AM

Posted by ncordless

Travis Lutter and Henderson have already laid the gameplan on how to beat Anderson. Whether anyone has the skills to actually pull it off remains to be seen.

Obviously it is important to get the fight to the ground. From there you fight conservatively to stay out of subs.

Anderson has good subs, but I am not sold on his sub defense. Someone with good takedowns, good sub defense, good top control, and good subs has the best chance to beat Anderson.

At 185 that is Maia. Marquardt and Hendo fulfill at least a couple of those neccessities.

Yeah.
I think Maia, Marquardt and Machida are the only real options.

Hendo I'm not so sure about. He only finishes fights with a KO, and he'll never catch Silva like he caught Bisping. His 'wrestling' can't do the job, we need someone with more offensive tools.
KaibaThedon
8/12/09 12:33:34PM
Maia has a great chance on the ground, but would simply get murdered standing.

Machida - he will not fight, but I believe Machida would have an excellent chance of beating him.

Fedor same thing.

RNC
8/12/09 5:05:28PM
If there is a man to beat Anderson Silva, I believe that it is Randy Couture. Couture has man-handled men far bigger and stronger than Anderson. He has taken down and controled huge guys such as Gonzaga and Tim Sylvia, as well as top notch wrestlers like Ortiz and Liddell. If Couture could cover up on the feet, he could use his greco clinch to get inside and take Anderson to the mat. And when he got him there, its very unlikely Silva's going anywhere for that round. If someone's going to beat Silva, Captain America's at the top of the list.
mkiv9secsupra
8/12/09 5:09:37PM
If Anderson can hurt Henderson, Couture wont be able to even take a glacing shot. Couture has the style to beat him but not the physicality to do it(he has never been brutally strong or quicker than most). He'd get dropped pretty quick imo.
RNC
8/12/09 6:37:14PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

If Anderson can hurt Henderson, Couture wont be able to even take a glacing shot. Couture has the style to beat him but not the physicality to do it(he has never been brutally strong or quicker than most). He'd get dropped pretty quick imo.

100% of what you just said is incorrect. Couture isn't physically strong? Couture manhandled a 250lb beast in Gabriel Gonzaga for 3 rounds. He threw 6'8" 270lb Tim Sylvia around like a child, and hell, he even gave Brock Lesnar a difficult time in the clinch, all while he was outweighed and outsized. Those examples are the exact definition of brute strength.

And your reasoning for Couture not being able to take a shot from Anderson is terrible. Couture took a headkick from Gonzaga, the same man who is responsible for arguably the most brutal headkick knockout in the sport, and Couture just kept coming forward. Of course Anderson hurt Hendo. Hendo was aggressive and actually WANTED to strike with Silva. He wanted to try and take Silva's head off, and in doing so, he got wild and got clipped.
mentalcase
8/12/09 8:55:44PM

Posted by cowcatcher

i was refering to Fedor and machida i dont think gegard is ready for silva just yet
mentalcase
8/12/09 9:15:16PM

Posted by shogunassassin

Mousassi is in the original list. But I wasn't really interested in HW, I think any decent HW should be able to beat him. I mean Fedor, Velasquez , Lesnar, Mir, they would take him down and hold him there for decisions.

if you think any decent HW would beat Silva your sadly mistaken, we saw how many times kongo taged velasques in the short time they were standing if silva taged him he would go to sleep and he has better takedown defence then kongo

Mir would get detroyed like what brandon vera did to him

lesner would put up a decent fight but i dont think he could hold silva down for the whole fight and would end up getting KOed
TimW001
8/12/09 10:27:10PM
To beat Anderson Silva, you would need to attack him with a Tommy Gun, in the morning when he's still kind of asleep. Otherwise, you're screwed.
ultimateweapon
8/12/09 10:27:23PM
this is how u beat anderson
are chuck norris jokes still relevant lol
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
prozacnation1978
8/12/09 10:34:16PM
i love how no one has but YOU seem to know the key to beat him!!
RNC
8/12/09 11:09:57PM

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by shogunassassin

if you think any decent HW would beat Silva your sadly mistaken, we saw how many times kongo taged velasques in the short time they were standing if silva taged him he would go to sleep and he has better takedown defence then kongo

lesner would put up a decent fight but i dont think he could hold silva down for the whole fight and would end up getting KOed

I'm sorry bro, but did you just say that Silva would beat Lesnar?
ButterBalls
8/12/09 11:22:09PM

Posted by RNC

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by shogunassassin

I'm sorry bro, but did you just say that Silva would beat Lesnar?

I believe he did. If Silva could stay away from Brock I agree, he could probably knock him out. Silva has a precision on his punches unmatched by any.

I agree that Randy may be able to do it. I also still believe Hendo has a shot.

I've said it before and I'll say it again though - I'd love to see Cung Le fight him. Cung's legkicks are fast as hell and he is used to having people try to grab his legs. He also dodges punches with the best of them and has a style well matched (standup anyways) for Silva.

hippysmacker
8/13/09 12:21:04AM
I have to agree with RNC.

chin, clinch, takedowns ,wrestling, position, GnP. I am not sure if Hendo posseses the physical strength to overpower and keep him on the ground for 5 rounds, but I think he has all the rest, and the best chance at 185 still. If Randy fought him at 205, It would all come down to whether or not Randy got KOed before he hot a hold of him and took him down every round.I think Randy would definitely muscle him around in the clinch, take hm down, keep hm down, and beat on him every round till the bell rang ins 3 round fight personally. In a 5 rounder I think Anderson would eventually catch and finish him.
fonduktoe
8/13/09 12:31:17AM
anyone that thinks mousasi would win this fight needs to check themselves
a guy who was arm-barred by ghono and has very few wins over elite fighters shouldn't be mentioned in this thread
TimW001
8/13/09 12:48:57AM
ncordless
8/13/09 1:35:19AM

Posted by TimW001

Still one of the sickest subs in the history of mma, and it justs keep getting better with age.
hippysmacker
8/13/09 2:54:29AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by TimW001

Still one of the sickest subs in the history of mma, and it justs keep getting better with age.

to be fair that sub took place when he was a purple belt (a;most 5 years ago) in BJJ, and now he is a black belt, but yeah that sub was amazing.
hippysmacker
8/13/09 2:59:38AM

Posted by fonduktoe

anyone that thinks mousasi would win this fight needs to check themselves
a guy who was arm-barred by ghono and has very few wins over elite fighters shouldn't be mentioned in this thread

Tht was also 3 years ago, and Mousasi now trains with Fedor, and beat Jacare(arguably the most accomplished ground guy in MMA today-2004 and 2005 Openweight World Jiu-Jitsu Champion, the 2005 77–87 kg Abu dhabi Champ) so Its safe to assume Mousasi has gotten much better on the ground since then. Also, I didnt even think it was fair to mention guys who only fight at heavy. I would take a whole slew of them over Anderson,and think fedor would finish him really quick.
mkiv9secsupra
8/13/09 4:01:03AM

Posted by RNC
100% of what you just said is incorrect. Couture isn't physically strong? Couture manhandled a 250lb beast in Gabriel Gonzaga for 3 rounds. He threw 6'8" 270lb Tim Sylvia around like a child, and hell, he even gave Brock Lesnar a difficult time in the clinch, all while he was outweighed and outsized. Those examples are the exact definition of brute strength.

That is 100% NOT the definition of brute strength. He used technicality to get those guys to the ground. HUGE difference. Brute strength is Matt Hughes lifting people over his head or Rampage slamming fighters.
Pages: [1] 2