How to Beat Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » How to Beat Anderson Silva
ohiostate1016
12/15/08 12:04:50PM
I just got through rewatching the TUF 8 LW final, where wrestler Efrain Escudero beat Muay Thai and BJJ fighter Phillippe Nover. I never really doubted Escudero from the start of the season, and I picked him to win before I even watched an episode.

In the final, the underdog Escudero just completely smothered Nover. He didn't let him get space while standing, and he kept working while on the ground. He almost got caught in an omoplata at the end of the fight, but he had enough experience to hang tough and pull out the decision.

So that got me to thinking about how to beat another Muay Thai and BJJ fighter, UFC MW champion Anderson Silva. I think that you have to do the same thing that Efrain did to Phillippe. You have to get a wrestler who knows how to stay inside and survive while standing, and a guy who can just smother Silva while on the ground.

We saw what Henderson did to Silva in the first round of their fight, but he eventually got caught on the ground after probably winning the first. Hendo is probably the only fighter out there that has the skills to beat Silva (other than a lucky shot), and he already lost. I don't really see anybody at 185 with the type of skills needed to beat Anderson, except maybe Okami on his best night. At 205, Rashad might have a chance, but I don't think that he has the standup to hang with Anderson.

Can you think of anybody else with the skills needed to beat Anderson? I think Forrest is scrappy enough, and Machida might just out-unorthodox him, but there really aren't any sure-fire bets against The Spider.
BigEvil
12/15/08 12:25:24PM
I think some kind of Biological weapon might work... or maybe just bullets but I have my doubts. Seriously though I think if I were to go by your thinking the guy with the best shot at beating him in LHW or MW would be Rampage, I'm not sure thats the way to beat him though. I have a feeling that he losses the same way Uriah did, on any night anyone has a chance to loose with one punch.
Aaronno9
12/15/08 12:32:52PM
I personally just don't think hes going to beaten by anybody in a reasonable weight range. I mean, hendo as a fighter is on a whole other level to Juan, and Anderson really picked him apart in the second round. Novers still quite raw, and realistly isnt comparable to Anderson at all (imo) becouse anderson is so much more refined at this point. Theres plenty of good striker/jots guys who there who've been beaten by wrestlers, doesnt mean its gona happen to Anderson.

Its kinda like saying well Fedor and Andrei are both good strikers with a solid sambo background, so to beat Fedor just use your jab and stick to the outside like Tim did to Andrei. Not gona happen.
ohiostate1016
12/15/08 12:41:06PM
I don't think that Anderson is as invincible as some think. The interesting thing, though, is that fear may be playing a factor at this point (Joe Rogan would be proud).

I do think that Hendo would have a shot in a rematch, especially if he can build on what he did in the first fight (aside from getting subbed).

I think that a fighter like Rampage would try to outstrike Silva, so he wouldn't have much of a shot.

But Forrest is an interesting option. He doesn't really have any great skills, but he's a fighter. I don't really think that Anderson has ever faced a guy that just loves to fight like Forrest. Shogun hadn't, and we all saw what happened there.
TheNatural915
12/15/08 12:54:27PM
actually you can't beat Anderson Silva its impossible
4u2nv
12/15/08 1:06:51PM
Well Spider has much better TDD then Nover. Even though Hendo showed us its still very much possible no one in the 185 div has that type of skill like someone already said. I can't honestly see him losing to any 185er that if he did lose to a lucky punch, he would revenge that fight 100 fold. Now 205ers yes i can see him losing to a few.
cowcatcher
12/15/08 1:47:00PM
you beat silva only one way: being named chuck norris

sorry guys its just been awhile since i heard chuck mentioned on here and i figured someone better do it before he comes after us all and hands out yuletide headkicks.
Wolfenstein
12/15/08 1:51:09PM
Although he lost to Dan Henderson I think Rousimar Palhares has the best chance to beat Anderson. Rousimar was able to pick Dan up and slam him, so I think he could definetely take down Anderson, and when it hits the mat he has some of the best leg locks in MMA.

Demian Maia also has a good chance, if he can pull guard and sweep Anderson he could pull off a sub, as Anderson's BJJ is more offensive than defensive.

Thales Leites has a good overall game, and he has the potential to put Anderson on his back and control him. He also has the standup to avoid having his bell rung from the get-go.

There are guys outside the organization who could give Anderson trouble as well most notably Yoshihiro Akiyama.
MikeyG
12/15/08 3:08:06PM
Demian Maia or if Anderson keeps fighting for awhile Rousimir Palhares, pretty much anyone who only shoots on him / throws feints to set them up and look for a quick sub. Not so much wrestlers since most of them take too long to finish or they have mediocre jiu jitsu and strikers dont have the timing Anderson has, it needs to be a quick sub and Anderson's too dynamic on the feet or on ground, flash of lightning flying scissor hook type sub imho.
dannyfrank
12/15/08 3:30:13PM
how to beat anderson silva: fight better than him

i know it sounds crazy, but it just might work!
Diamondback2
12/15/08 3:53:30PM
well first and foremost to the OP this exact strategy was discussed a trillion times leading up for UFC 82 and it was proved partially correct.

There is one for sure position that you can beat Silva in, and that's side control.

But to hold Silva in SC for 5 rounds is going to be hard being every round starts on the feet and Silva is a great BJJ player.

if someone can hold him in SC for 5, 5 minute rounds, yes they will win. But thats just too hard.

He is too damn good in guard and good at escaping mount SC is the only area.

The 3 biggest threats IMO are Maia, Leites (although not much of one IMO), and Marquardt. it's the only time silva's build works against him, long limbs = easy to grab hold of for a sub. If someone is going to beat Silva at 185 soon i think it'd be by armbar, leglock (heel hook, kneebar, whatever), or shoulder lock (omoplata).

It's just the only possibility i see and not a good one at that.

Twenty20Dollars
12/15/08 4:35:36PM
you come out and throw a leg kick only you miss and hit him in the nuts and then just punch anderson before the ref can stop it for a low blow. Then you win tko.
Diamondback2
12/15/08 4:43:31PM
Of course there a way to beat Silva. 2 of them actually. One's been tried on him b4 and the other will for sure work!

1: Flying Scissors to a Heel Hook!!!

or

2: The Burns TKO Eye Poke!!!

holt8081
12/15/08 4:50:13PM
Bring a gun to the Cage
Diamondback2
12/15/08 4:53:20PM

Posted by holt8081

Bring a gun to the Cage

Even with that i'd still set the odds as follows:

Anderson Silva: -2300
vs
Guy with Gun: +2500
Jackelope
12/15/08 5:23:44PM
Some of the posters got it right.

To beat Anderson Silva IMO these are your top 3 things necessary

1) Takedowns

2) Excellent top/side control w/ GnP (or excellent BJJ)

3) Iron Chin

Dan Henderson can beat Anderson Silva with the first skillset. I'd still place my bet on him if the fight happened tomorrow. Even though I lost the first time doing it. He just got cocky and allowed himself to lose.

Like someone else said- the key is using side control. You have to smother his range on the feet, be willing to take a shot or two on the way in, and pressure him against the cage with GnP in side control. You give him time to work and room to breathe and he will make you pay. That being said, I don't think he is near as invincible as people make him out to be. I think if someone handed him his ass for 2 rounds straight that you could break him. A-la Couture vs. Ortiz or Evan Tanner vs. David Terrell

As for the comparison to Nover, though- The big difference is that Nover overcommits to his strikes. He was rushing in hands on hip to throw a knee. IMO Escudero should have just faked the shot from far away and bombed his ass with an overhand right- it was wide open. Of course it's not as easy to see when you're in the fight, though. If someone was to take Anderson down and try to dish punishment/survive like Escudero did to Nover in the guard it would spell disaster. You cannot sit inside Anderson Silva's guard. You simply can't do it and hope to survive unless you're a fantastic jiu jitsu player

Hendo67
12/15/08 10:03:02PM
I think having a good ground game is the key to defeat Silva, someone with explosive BJJ can take him out.

Anderson showed somewhat shitty takedown defense when he did indeed end up on his back, which i think is one of the flaws in his game. UFC overrates his BJJ in my mind, anyone with a decent wrestling base and good top control can put a lot of trouble on Anderson.

Maia will have Anderson a run for his money as soon as he develops a good shot, and works on his wrestling ability.
Dan Henderson i think can beat Anderson right now, just because of how dominant he was in their last fight until he stepped out of his game plan and decided to stand up with him.
Diamondback2
12/15/08 10:24:03PM
The only reason i would pick Silva over Henderson is that i cannot imagine Dan actually executing a full 5 round lay and pray.

last fight it only took him one round to throw his gameplan to the wind and start banging and i wouldnt imagine it would take all of round 3 for him to abondon the gameplan and start banging again.

think about it, the crowd would boo like crazy if hendo just did a LNP and Hendo being Hendo would not want to have the fans booing him the whole fight.

I think statistically (so to speak) Hendo has the best style and chance to beat him. It's because of the crowd factor and possible standups due to the crowd that would decide this fight. Go to Japan, and I would seriously consider picking Hendo over Silva...

I think like afforementioned high level BJJ players could get him. And there are 3 World Class JJ players in that division (Maia, Paul Harris, and Thales) and 3 of the best overall grappplers in MMA (Horn, Marquardt, Lister). Silva has beat Marquardt and Horn. And i think currently he would beat Thales, Maia, and Lister.

I think the only real possibilties are the following two:

Maia: I think Maia currently is too green in the striking area to get close enough to Silva to shoot or pull guard. Give him another year or so and he IMO is the biggest threat.

Marquardt: His striking and grappling are great and he is experienced as hell. Plus he trains with Greg Jackson, and Greg can find holes in anyone's game.

Paul Harris would be the next i just think Silva could keep him up easier than hendo and hit him harder. Bad matchup IMO.
StriderXero
12/16/08 12:14:22AM
I think Spiderman can beat him.

But in reality, it's going to be someone who has better stand up then him or a guy with a great wrestling and jiujitsu base. Someone who has a similar style to Fedor. Being able to punch through the guard, and pass his guard.

I've seen Anderson get beat before. People should stop making this guy seem like he's unbeatable. Every single guy in the top 10 p4p list is beatable.
Diamondback2
12/16/08 12:44:05AM
Anderson is very beatable but what the general consensus is that with the current fighters that fight at 185 in the UFC that he is loooking unbeatable.

And i completly forgot due to the surgery but i think Patrick Cote is the biggest threat. I sort of write a fighter off in my mind when he is hurt till he is ready to come back and i totally 4got bout Cote.

I was impressed at UFC 90 with him. i thought he was the next Chris Leben for Silva and he proved he can bang with the cat and not get too reckless in the process.

Alot of people think Silva was showboating I think (and I am pretty sure i am the only one) that Silva felt what Cote had and realized that Cote could knock him out very realistically so he decided to counter strike. I originally thought that there was no way Cote hit harder than Hendo but i realized it's really hard to compare the two.

The only fighters he's really fought with better than average chins is Leben and Ortiz. he did rock Ortiz and of course he was fighting one weight class higher and i do not remember the Leben fight offhand.

So that comes down to the Silva fight. When Hendo hit Silva he charged foward right into hendo's punches with no regard for his safety (rd 2).

Vs Cote he never just waded into his punches.

I would still pick Silva at -400 or so but anything higher, I'd go with Cote!

Just a theory though...
RNC
12/16/08 1:45:29AM
The type of fighter that will beat Anderson Silva is a strong wrestler with a good chin. Henderson was the perfect fit, and even he fell victim to Silva's raw striking ability. All it takes is thirty seconds standing with the guy, as you saw in the Hendo fight. Silva just lays back, then turns it up whenever he feels like it and overwhelms you. Here's a list of guys at 185 and 205 that would have the best chance at beating Silva.

#4 George St. Pierre (185) - St. Pierre's take down ability at 170 is incredible. He is taking down strong wrestlers like Koscheck and Fitch at will, and he is able to deliver some sick ground and pound. With St. Pierres wrestling, gnp, and his knowledge in submissions (defense), St. Pierre would be a good candidate to gnp out a win against Silva if he ever moved up to 185.

#3 Rashad Evens (205) - Rashad is not only an All-American Wrestler with a good shot, Rashad is also smart. He moves well, uses angles, and knows when to utilize his skills. If Rashad came into the fight against Silva and was elusive like he always is, he could take Silva to the mat and use his wrestling to keep him there. Once again, gnp for stoppage or a decision.

#2 Dan Henderson (185) - Henderson's performance in the first round against Anderson was remarkable. Henderson was able to clinch with Silva and be dominant there, something we all saw how difficult is from the Franklin fight. From the clinch, Hendo was able to take Silva down and keep him on his back while he delivered some nice gnp. Before he got caught in the second, he was winning that fight. If Henderson could come into the fight and utilize a better game plan, he has a good shot at taking down the champ.

#1 Randy Couture (205) - If there is a man to beat Anderson Silva, I believe that it is Randy Couture. Couture has man-handled men far bigger and stronger than Anderson. He has taken down and controled huge guys such as Gonzaga and Big Tim, as well as top notch wrestlers like Ortiz and Liddell. I have no doubts that Couture would be able to cover up on the feet, get inside and take Anderson to the ground. And when he got him there, Silva's not going anywhere. Twenty five minutes of GNP, and we all know Couture doesn't tire. If someone's going to beat Silva, Captain America's at the top of the list.

To conclude, Silva's striking is too sharp for anyone to stand with him. The fighter that's going to beat him will be someone that can withstain minimal damage on the feet, take Silva down and gnp out a win. This is why although guys like Forrest Griffin, Rampage Jackson, and Wanderlie Silva are all incredible fighters, style makes fights. The person that beats Anderson Silva is going to be a wrestler. My vote - Randy Couture.

hymiekooken
12/16/08 10:36:22AM
No one right now in the middleweights has a good shot of beating Anderson Silva. Maia has an outstanding ground game, but his lack of stand up skill would be his undoing at this point in his career, I think Silva would look to circle and stay on his feet, and get in and out quick with precise striking. He has already beat Hendo once, even though Hendo won the first round I say the result is the same if they fight again.
There are a few guys at 205 that could pose a real threat to Anderson.

1.) Wanderlei Silva---As crazy as it sounds, Wanderlei will look to keep it standing, as I believe Wanderlei hits harder. Anderson would not be able to impose his will in the thai clinch in this one. Wanderlei will have to knock Anderson out to win.

2.) Forrest Griffin----Never bet against Forrest, as seen in the fights with Shogun and Rampage. Forrest may have the advantage on the ground, and should look to belt out a decision win, and not get lured into too many exchanges on his feet.

3.) Vitor Belfort---I am always partial to the Phenom, and if there is one guy alive who may be able to out-strike Anderson SIlva, Vitor is the one. Whether at 185 or 205 I would pick Vitor in this one, and hope Anderson gets added to the Phenom's highlight reel.
cowcatcher
12/16/08 10:53:06AM

Posted by hymiekooken

1.) Wanderlei Silva---As crazy as it sounds, Wanderlei will look to keep it standing, as I believe Wanderlei hits harder. Anderson would not be able to impose his will in the thai clinch in this one. Wanderlei will have to knock Anderson out to win.

anderson doesnt appear to hit hard because hes so long and fluid, but he hits as hard as about anyone, but i agree that wandy might give him a run

3.) Vitor Belfort---I am always partial to the Phenom, and if there is one guy alive who may be able to out-strike Anderson SIlva, Vitor is the one. Whether at 185 or 205 I would pick Vitor in this one, and hope Anderson gets added to the Phenom's highlight reel.

im a big vitor fan too, but his HL reel hasnt had anything of importance added to it in so long they show it on turner classic movies now(terry martin has been staring at the lights on a fairly regular basis lately so i dont count that as a big one)
RNC
12/16/08 11:17:10PM

Posted by hymiekooken

I once thought Wandy might be the man to do it at 185 myself, but now I disagree completely. Wandyerlei's style is throwing power packed looping hooks, which would not boat well against Anderson. When Wanderlei fought Liddell, Liddell was able to pick him apart on the feet for three rounds straight. If Chuck could pick Wandy apart, just imagine what Anderson would be able to do. Anderson wouldn't need the clinch. He would pick his shots and break Wandy down.

I still believe that the man who is going to beat Anderson Silva has to be someone with strong take downs and great ground control.
MikeyG
12/16/08 11:30:54PM

Posted by RNC

#4 George St. Pierre (185)

you lost all credibility here
RNC
12/17/08 10:55:17AM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by RNC

Great explanation. I love your reasoning.
MikeyG
12/17/08 10:59:20AM

Posted by RNC

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by RNC

well with that av, thats all i need

gsp he hasnt even beat bj on feb. yet.. lets not get too carried away bro

ps i didnt agree with any of your "who can beat anderson" list as well except hendo
RNC
12/17/08 11:41:44AM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by RNC

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by RNC

ps i didnt agree with any of your "who can beat anderson" list as well except hendo

Who cares if he hasn't beat BJ in January yet. Even if he loses to BJ, that does not in anyway mean that he cannot beat Anderson Silva. Once again, style makes fights. And I would say Couture has a better shot of beating Silva than Hendo does. Couture moves better on the feet and executes better game plans than anyone, especially Hendo judging from his first fight with Silva. Hendo may have a stronger chin, but with Anderson, that doesn't really matter. Randy Couture would be the man to beat Silva, unless you can give me something better than "because my avatar"

MikeyG
12/17/08 11:55:38AM

Posted by RNC

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by RNC

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by RNC

Who cares if he hasn't beat BJ in January yet. Even if he loses to BJ, that does not in anyway mean that he cannot beat Anderson Silva. Once again, style makes fights. And I would say Couture has a better shot of beating Silva than Hendo does. Couture moves better on the feet and executes better game plans than anyone, especially Hendo judging from his first fight with Silva. Hendo may have a stronger chin, but with Anderson, that doesn't really matter. Randy Couture would be the man to beat Silva, unless you can give me something better than "because my avatar"

i care (obviously) because if bj beats him (which i see happening if not then alves for sure) hes no where near andersons level and i agree styles make fights but andersons style is not a style he can handle it would look like silva / marquardt or worse, silva is too much on the feet or on the ground, gsp needs a decision to win (not likely)

i dont think couture is all that great tbh with you, anyone can be glorified as a legend with the rights fights at the right time.. even if they were undeserving of those fights (which he was on multiple occasions) the most he can hope for like gsp is a decision (not likely) and to not be knocked out or sub'd which is what would happen since anderson is light years ahead of couture standing and in jiu jitsu, randy has been sub'd by okay guys and anderson is far better on the ground than them, lol come to think of it randy would turn this fight down to make a "movie" like the nog fight

the ppl who are gonna give anderson a challenge are jiu jitsu freaks with average to good standup like Maia or Palhares or maybe some LH's like Lyoto, Page, Hendo or Wand (strong chins and hard to submit)
copcopps
12/17/08 11:55:54AM
Gegard Mousasi, Akiyama and Lindland are people I'll pick against Anderson