Who can beat Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who can beat Anderson Silva
komodo20
10/27/07 8:18:26AM
what fighter can beat Anderson Silva
mrsmiley
10/27/07 8:40:07AM
I think part of what makes Anderson Silva so dominant in the UFC, is a flaw in the way a lot of UFC fighters train.Keep in mind,this is just my theory on why he is so dominant.

From what i've seen of a lot of UFC fighters,a good portion of them have strong backrounds in wrestling.I might be even brave enough to make the claim that a good portion of UFC fighters might not be as strong as we think, if they had to fight from their back.It seems to me that most of these guys don't have suffecient skills in fighting from the clinch phase of combat.I don't
know,maybe it's just me,but it seems like a great deal of PRIDE fighters have richer back rounds in Muay Thai.Look at Chute Boxe for example.

However,I belive their are more gyms in the U.S and such that have a stronger empahsise on boxing and wrestling.

I think Anderson Silva is the perfect example of a guy who has a killer clinche,and on top of that, he knows how to stalk fighters in the octagon.A lot of people have made the claim it's much easier to corner an opponent in a ring as opposed to the cage.If this is the case,Silva has trained to perfectly blend all these elements into one.

Who can beat Anderson Silva?

I don't know if I could name one opponent for the job,but the guy would have to know how to work around his cage control and properly fight his clinche.Maybe some one rich in a Judo backround could negate his clinche long enough.Excellent use of some dirty boxing would be ideal too.
jgtribbett
10/27/07 12:46:01PM
i think he a silva and hendo would be a great fibght. I dont see hendo getting taped. and i definetally dont see him getting knocked out. but ... well.. ****.. i just want to see the fight
ohiostate1016
10/27/07 12:58:26PM
Of the guys that are of comparable weight, there aren't many, but there are some. I figure that nobody in the 170-200 pound range is going to outstrike The Spider, so I had to go with guys that are either well-rounded or are ground/submission experts.

1. GSP-I think that GSP could be anybody (yea, anybody) that weighs in from 170-200. GSP is the most well-rounded fighter in the world today, and his ground skills could help him overcome Silva's superior striking.

2. BJ Penn-I think that BJ has a shot to beat any fighter in the world, no matter what weight. The only thing that is keeping BJ from being the #1 PFP fighter in the world is that he is extremely lazy. His sick BJJ skills are unmatched.

3. Dan Henderson-I think this is the fight we'll see in the end, and Hondo can hang w/ Anderson in almost any aspect, and he is a way better wrestler than Silva.

4. Paul Filho-He has sick subs, and is the best BJJ fighter in the world at 85.

5. Denis Kang-I've been hyping him for about a year now. With some big wins, he could be called the best fighter in the world.

Other than that, there aren't many guys who could beat Silva. A few guys could get a lucky punch (Nick Diaz, Robbie Lawler, etc), but not many can beat him straight up.
grappler0000
10/27/07 4:25:29PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I think part of what makes Anderson Silva so dominant in the UFC, is a flaw in the way a lot of UFC fighters train.Keep in mind,this is just my theory on why he is so dominant.

From what i've seen of a lot of UFC fighters,a good portion of them have strong backrounds in wrestling.

Ironically, I think a wrestling background is the perfect one to beat Silva...he has fought mostly strikers thus far in the UFC. If Dan Henderson would drop back down, it would possibly be the fight to dethrown him. Dan has the perfect fighting style to fight Silva. Wrestling is by far Anderson's greatest weakness. Being from a Greco-Roman background works out to even better advantage, as the clinch will not pose much of a problem either. As long as Hendo doesn't let his ego keep him from taking him down, he should do well. He has good boxing and a great chin...which would allow him to set up a takedown. GnP is probably the best chance at beating Silva...so if Dan could follow a gameplan instead of his heart, I see a victory in round 2 or 3 via TKO.
hotrodttt
10/27/07 5:00:10PM
Yoshihiro Akiyama , he is sooo athletic and could take Anderson down and hold him there and get the ground and pound tko
jiujitsufreak74
10/27/07 5:10:06PM

Posted by hotrodttt

Yoshihiro Akiyama , he is sooo athletic and could take Anderson down and hold him there and get the ground and pound tko

lets see how he does against kang before we get ahead of ourselves, plus you have the whole lotion incident, or am i thinking of another fighter. anyway i agree that akiyama is a great fighter and would give anderson some problems, but as i said lets wait and see how he does against kang before we start looking at silva.

as for the gsp post, i have to disagree. if he can beat anybody form 170-200, what happened w/ matt serra? anyway, i just don't think he is big enough to deal with silva and he won't have that strength advantage that he enjoys at WW if he moved up. gsp would be a top 5 MW, maybe, more likely top 10, but i just can't see him beating silva, or even franklin for that matter.
MALICE
10/27/07 6:55:53PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by mrsmiley

From what i've seen of a lot of UFC fighters,a good portion of them have strong backrounds in wrestling.

Ironically, I think a wrestling background is the perfect one to beat Silva...he has fought mostly strikers thus far in the UFC. If Dan Henderson would drop back down, it would possibly be the fight to dethrown him. Dan has the perfect fighting style to fight Silva. Wrestling is by far Anderson's greatest weakness. Being from a Greco-Roman background works out to even better advantage, as the clinch will not pose much of a problem either. As long as Hendo doesn't let his ego keep him from taking him down, he should do well. He has good boxing and a great chin...which would allow him to set up a takedown. GnP is probably the best chance at beating Silva...so if Dan could follow a gameplan instead of his heart, I see a victory in round 2 or 3 via TKO.

I agree. Watch the Lutter/Silva fight. When Lutter had full mount, Silva defense wasn't exactly effective. He just held his arms in the air and took repeated blows to the head. So if someone with better body control, they might have a good chance at GnP.
tuvok500
10/27/07 11:08:13PM
the same comment was made for liddell, who can beat liddell !!

and the answer were , a top wrestler because nobody was giving a chance to a fighter to win by out striking liddell, and well, he got out strike 2 time in a row now.

so, i think that it is possible to out strike silva !!

GSP can do that even if he seem smaller, i can tell you that if you put GSP at 185 side by side with franklin at 185 well, it is almost identical.

so GSP can outstrike silva, put silva down, pass his guard and beat him !!

go GSP !!! LOL

bayonetxwork
10/28/07 12:24:06AM
Anyone who can take him down, and control him on his back. I'd say Hendo, or Lindland. I'd like to see Kang thrown somewhere into the picture though too.
Schizoidman
10/28/07 9:32:05PM
I don't think wrestling is the answer to Anderson Silva. He has a very active guard, and most wrestlers aren't great at finishing. I think Anderson would either pull off a submission or stand back up. His punching power is deceivingly devastating. I don't think anyone can handle it. As long as Anderson brings his A-game, I don't think he'll be beat. Of course, every fighter brings his B-game once in a while.
Hurricane_Brad
10/29/07 3:39:14PM
I think that either Lindland or Hendo would have the best shot at beating Silva in the MW division. Silva's most glaring weakness is his takedown defense, as shown by the Lutter fight. I think a superior wrestler could take Silva down repeatedly and possibly finish him there, or earn a decision.
Boo_Radley21
10/29/07 6:40:15PM
Me
TOMMYAYO05
10/29/07 6:40:37PM
well recenlty linland called him out but here are people that would have the best shot even though he would beat all of them.....
paulo filho
dan henderson
matt linland
denis kang
frank trigg