Who can beat Anderson.......Robbie Lawler!?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who can beat Anderson.......Robbie Lawler!?
POLL: Who would win this fight?
Anderson Silva 83% (45)
Robbie lawler 13% (7)
Fight would suck! 4% (2)
MeanGreene
10/21/07 6:04:00PM
I just really want to see Robbie and Anderson fight. i think that fight has all the makings of one of the best ever! Dana sure wouldnt have any problem marketing the event with this fight on the card....What do you guys think? I think it should happen.
NatedawgThaM
10/21/07 6:06:19PM
Robbie's my boy. meaning my favorite Middleweight fighter. he's impressed me with his last two fights. he's not rushing anything and being more technical not as sloppy.

But I think Anderson would pick him apart with that reach. His jabs and straights would hurt Robby and when he comes in Anderson would grab him in the Thai clinch and Knee him til he falls like Franklin.

I want to see him get past Frank Shamrock first. That should be his main focus and his next big test. Yes both these fights would be freakin' sick though!!!
Aaronno9
10/21/07 6:24:44PM
I just voted for lawler by mistake, ment to vote for anderson though. I agree robbie has come on leaps and bounds, but i think silvas in a totally differant league. I cant see any area were lawler could prevail, hes got less of a chance than rich has imo.
rcg916
10/21/07 6:33:03PM
I think that fight would look a lot like Silva-Leben... Robbie is too aggressive for Anderson Silva. He'd walk into one for sure...
cmill21
10/21/07 6:37:11PM
Lawler would get hurt. Nick Diaz was able to Ko him, and I don't know but I'd say anderson's a bit better striker. My vote for the man to beat anderson goes to hendo.
fullfighting
10/21/07 6:43:14PM
Robbie Lawler is someone who could maybe win against Anderson. I think Anderson would win that fight but Lawlers POWER makes him dangerous. IMO the only guy that has a good shot at beating Anderson Silva is Dan Henderson.
HulkRage
10/21/07 6:45:03PM
Silva would destroy Lawler!
postman
10/21/07 7:20:12PM

Posted by cmill21

Lawler would get hurt. Nick Diaz was able to Ko him, and I don't know but I'd say anderson's a bit better striker. My vote for the man to beat anderson goes to hendo.

I agree I also think Linlind would be a good match up for Anderson.
warglory
10/21/07 7:20:48PM
It has already been said, but Lawler is a great fighter, but his stand up, much like Franklin's, is much too offensive and would quickly succumb him to the onslaught of Silva. Would be a cool fight to see though.
loonytnt
10/21/07 7:31:01PM
anderson is a great fighter, imo atm there are not many out there that can beat him, but as match as i dont really like him i think diago can bet him, he wood push anderson and get him to he ground, if anyone is going beat him they are going to have to push him, dont be scared of him and throw some weird hooks. rich hit him a lot in that fight but because he didnt wanna stand up with him the punches were soft, so imo i think robbie can beat him
mkiv9secsupra
10/21/07 7:53:59PM
If Anderson was shorter than id pick a few guys to beat him but a big part of his game is his reach. Robbie is a great striker but Andreson would pick him apart and end it in the first.
tuvok500
10/21/07 8:00:30PM
if someone want to see lawler being destroy like a novice in front of million of peoples, well, just put silva in front of him and you will have your masacre !!!

jiujitsufreak74
10/21/07 8:21:10PM
henderson is the only fighter at this point that i can see beating silva. even then it would be a good fight and could go either way.

filho is talented, but i don't think that he is at the level that silva is at. bring him up to the ufc and try to prove me wrong, but until then, i can't see filho beating silva.

same goes for lawler, he is good, but just not as good as silva, and lawler's style plays right into silva's hands b/c his agressive style will be utter exploited by silva's mythotcal striking. if diaz can beat lawler, then so can anderson.
tuvok500
10/21/07 9:20:53PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

henderson is the only fighter at this point that i can see beating silva. even then it would be a good fight and could go either way.

filho is talented, but i don't think that he is at the level that silva is at. bring him up to the ufc and try to prove me wrong, but until then, i can't see filho beating silva.

same goes for lawler, he is good, but just not as good as silva, and lawler's style plays right into silva's hands b/c his agressive style will be utter exploited by silva's mythotcal striking. if diaz can beat lawler, then so can anderson.

well , at the press conference after ufc 77, dana told that in fact, hendo want to stay in the LHW division.
he seem to feel that he can be the champ in this division, well, it is possible, but unlikely. well, we never know !!

i also think that hendo would have been the tuffest fight for silva, but it should be also, a very hard fight for hendo, who can find himself in big trouble.

it is like if we want to see this fight, but in the same time, we are a little bit afraid for hendo too !!

well, me anyways !!

DJDark41
10/21/07 9:37:17PM
If there is anyone in the MW division that could stop Anderson Silva, its Robbie Lawler. Although I don't think it would be the best matchup for Lawler, it would still make one exciting fight and I think Robbie Lawler would put up a better fight then anyone else that Anderson Silva has fought thus far in the UFC.
natedogstyles
10/21/07 11:28:15PM
In my humble opinion, Silva would kill Lawler, but I haven't seen him in a while. I think Henderson would be a great match-up as the posts above noted. we might see Silva hold on to that belt for quite some time.
www.theathletesite.com
OnesmoothJ
10/22/07 2:04:48AM
I don't imagine Robbie being any tougher than Franklin.. although the guys I imagine giving Silva a tough time are Lindland and Hendo if they can wrestle him down then ground and pound to a TKO or dec.... but with Henderson wanting to stay at 205 and Lindland not close to competing in the UFC, I wonder who they actually would have Anderson fighting next.. the only others I'd like to see Silva fight are Kang and Filho
hippysmacker
10/22/07 7:51:18AM
I like the way LAwler is now training and fighting. I think he was just gassed, and already wore down from Diaz's little peppering shots when he got KOed. It sure didn't look like a powerful punch. Anyway, I say he has an average chin. IMO Anderson is the most complete technical striker in MMA. As much as I think Lawler has improved ,and I have put him in my top 10 middleweights , I think Silva would drop him in 2 or less. The way I see it Silva hits harder, uses all his limbs to attack with ( Lawler is probably 90% just hands) , has the best footwork in MMA, is bigger, stronger, has more reach,is better on the ground, and only Hendo has a chin to compare with his at 185. The only 3 guys I think can beat Silva at 185 right now(and i think it's a pickem on Hendo , 70/30 in Silvas favor vs Filho or Lindland) , are Filho, LIndland and Hendo. Franklin is still a good fighter IMO, top 5 at his weight. I think he matches up better with Lindland and Hendo.He would have to completely change his style to have a good chance against Anderson I think. I also think Filhos BJJ would overpower Franklin, but styles make fights. Stylisticly greco guys match up good with Anderson, or a grappler so much better and stronger than him that he could be overpowered wore down and subbed.However, in Lawlers case i just don't see it. The only fighter that can stand with him at 185 IMO is Manhoef. Hendo could survive awhile on the feet by chin, but he would have to take him down and keep him there eventually to win if ya ask me. Well, thats my 2 cents folks. Anyway thats how I think the top 5 middleweights tack up. Thanks for reading.
ohiostate1016
10/22/07 10:31:14AM
Robbie Lawler got KO'd by Nick Diaz. I don't think that Lawler is good at all, especially against the top MW in the world. This would be a first round KO.
FantasyFighter
10/22/07 11:30:27AM
I think Lawler would have a good chance against Anderson. Not saying I think he would win, but anyone with his power always has a chance. Robbie showed good patience in his last fight with Ninja and wasnt overly aggressive, which is the reason a few of you said you think he would lose.

Also, Robbie would test Silva's chin and that is something I can't quite seem to remember anyone doing. (Not saying he hasnt been hit, just saying I dont remember anyone with Lawler-type power hitting him)
mrliquid
10/22/07 12:43:38PM
I think that Lawler wouldnt do to bad against Anderson he has improved alot on his striking and grappling but I wanna see another kickboxer/muay thai fighter go against Anderson maybe toss David Loiseau at him and see what happens.
kofranklin
10/22/07 3:05:18PM
Anderson would **** Lawler in the ass. First round KO.
Cladrix
10/22/07 6:01:50PM
Although I like Robbie has a fighter.... I don't think he has a chance with Anderson. Anderson would knock him out in the first round just like Nick Diaz did.

Hendo would probably be the toughest test for Anderson. His wrestling and his chin might last him the whole fight. But I believe Anderson can pull that one off... I dont know we have to wait and see if it happens. Might not though because Hendo said he wants to stay at 205.

I think GSP should move up to middleweight after he destroys the winner of Hughes vs. Serra. GSP will a great test for Anderson. But when he gets the Welterweight belt I dont beleive they will let him move up because there is alot of talent at Welterweight that could challenge him for that belt.
adamsb
10/22/07 6:20:03PM
OMG nick KOed robbie how many years ago get off of it ok robbie has improved alot and i think he would give anderson a run for his money. and nick would get KTFO if him and robbie were to fight again
TOMMYAYO05
10/22/07 6:23:13PM
Point blank the only two men i think in the middleweight class right now who can even challenge the spider is denis kang and paulo filho.I would also like to see bisping drop down and hendo.
DJAM11
10/22/07 6:29:01PM
no one who's game plan is to stand up with anderson stands a chance.....Lawler doesnt stand a chance against anderson, Anderson is invinceable right now and i dont see him losing that belt unless he pulls a frank shamrock and just decides no one can last with him and retire
Lay_N_Pray
10/22/07 6:38:30PM
I absolutely agree. Anyone who wants to stand with Silva wont have success at this point...he is super efficent, and I can really only see a few people standing a chance against him and Lawler is not one. Lawler is excellent, but Silva is the best in the world right now.

Henderson has a chance if he uses his wrestling against him, if he tries to strike he will get KO'd for the first time in his career.

GSP could move up in weight and he would have a hell of a time because of the size disadvantage but his overall skills are good enough to give anyone fits.

Filho has a chace but he better bring his ju-jitsu with him if he even wants to consider winning.