The Top 5 Beards in UFC History

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The Top 5 Beards in UFC History
Rabi
4/24/12 4:42:10PM
A beard can signify a number of things to a number of different people. Some hate beards and some love them. The one thing we should all agree on is that a good beard is the sign of a badass. These 5 men fit that description to a key.

The Beard
SmileR
4/24/12 4:53:29PM
I don't even have to read the article. . . I did but I didn't have to! Evan Tanner we miss you Evan Tanners beard we salute you!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
scoozna
4/24/12 5:03:04PM
haha...yeah Tanner gets the sympathy vote everytime here. If we had to pick a #6, maybe Fitch's scraggly mess or Brock Lesnar's beastly viking beard.
Budgellism
4/24/12 5:13:42PM
A few guys that I was considering that didn't make the list were Dustin Hazelett, Tank Abbott, Fitch, Lesnar, Court McGee, Dave Herman and Harold Howard.

Also, Tanner ftw

DancingDoll
4/24/12 5:18:19PM
There's a surprising amount of beards in the UFC lately. I'm really not into facial hair, but I guess it does work to make some guys more memorable/recognizable. The worst for me is the pseudo-beard that guys like Griggs have (sorry, not sure if there is a specific name for this style). It's just weird.

I guess if a guy has to have the beard going, I prefer the trimmed/neat/short variety over the full on moses/amish thing. The shorter beards look more badass to me.

I wonder if Dave Herman kept his hairy mystique going after the last fight. It was hilarious and definitely a fun look, but I'm hoping he's shaved and smooth by the time his next fight rolls around.

jakewalters
4/24/12 5:24:00PM
Roy Nelson's beard trimming style always confused me. Fighters (like Jones last Saturday) like to rock beards at the weigh-in, then trim them before the fight (then trim them.. good tongue twister) to make sure their face is nice and slippery.

I've never seen a fighter rock a mountain-man beard, keep the mountain-man for the fight, then cut it for the presser. As confounding as Nelson can be sometimes, hard not to like such a gregarious personality in the sport. I'm disappointed he didn't make good with his Facebook promise though :(. (Roy promised he would drop to 205 if he got to 100k Facebook likes. He got the likes and reneged on the deal.)
postman
4/24/12 5:56:33PM
See I thought this was on chins. Am I the only guy that likes to refer to a guys ability to take a punch as having a nice beard?
warglory
4/24/12 7:26:34PM
I'd have to say Brock's beard is the most bad ass looking when he sported it, with a close second from Arlovski.
Budgellism
4/24/12 7:29:36PM

Posted by postman

See I thought this was on chins. Am I the only guy that likes to refer to a guys ability to take a punch as having a nice beard?

No, I've heard it a few times recently but if I was writing about the ability to take a punch I'd call it Top 5 chins. There's more of a chance of it coming up in a Google search that way. Since the article is actually about beards I used the word beard in the title so that a search picks it up easier.
Budgellism
4/24/12 7:32:51PM

Posted by warglory

I'd have to say Brock's beard is the most bad ass looking when he sported it, with a close second from Arlovski.

I dunno. I've never been a fan of the blondish beards.
sparky
4/24/12 8:35:32PM

prozacnation1978
4/25/12 11:08:37PM
Hands down Andre arlovski is number one
Samps
4/28/12 12:10:09AM
I'm gunna take some heat for this, but ian mccall. Probably falls into that pseudo thing mentioned above

and as for the other meaning of taking a punch, which I thought was included in the "a lot of meanings" OP, Cabbage
Boo_Radley21
5/3/12 10:39:02AM
Tanner's was great but Lesnars is the most badass
Hendo67
5/3/12 11:37:25AM
Dave Hermans gorilla suit he wore to fight Struve was pretty gnarly.

I was actually a huge fan of Hazeletts beard.

As for Arlovski, this was my first post ever on this site...