Basketball Hall Of Fame Inductees Announced: His Airness Leads The Way

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Basketball Hall Of Fame Inductees Announced: His Airness Leads The Way
DCRage
4/6/09 11:31:30AM
Yep, Michael Jordan is now a Hall Of Famer. Just announced. Also going in: "the Admiral" David Robinson, John Stockton, Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan and Rutgers women's coach C. Vivian Stringer. Congrats to all and the wait for His Airness to get in is finally over. That was a long 5 years.
bojangalz
4/6/09 12:13:22PM
Stopped watching the sport when he retired th first time...Came back when he unretired the first time...Stopped watching the sport when he retired the second time...Came back when he unretired the second time (as hard as it was to watch)...Stopped watching when he retired the third time...Haven't been back since.

That's one hell of a HOF class though!
Jackelope
4/7/09 12:45:55AM
Jordan is the man.

That being said, it's kind of sad to see Stockton and Robinson's careers get overlooked due to the fact that Jordan was inducted at the same time as them. I really wish they could have gotten the spotlight individually instead of all at once. We're talking about 3 of the absolute very best of the best players of all time here. I think in an all NBA of all time team each one of these guys would be a starter. Besides maybe Robinson who would just barely be edged out by Shaq.

The last 20 years of Basketball has been amazing, and these three here are a huge reason why. Cheers to all of them!
ncordless
4/7/09 1:26:28AM

Posted by Jackelope

Jordan is the man.

That being said, it's kind of sad to see Stockton and Robinson's careers get overlooked due to the fact that Jordan was inducted at the same time as them. I really wish they could have gotten the spotlight individually instead of all at once. We're talking about 3 of the absolute very best of the best players of all time here. I think in an all NBA of all time team each one of these guys would be a starter. Besides maybe Robinson who would just barely be edged out by Shaq.

The last 20 years of Basketball has been amazing, and these three here are a huge reason why. Cheers to all of them!

No way the Admiral is on the all-time team over Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Shaq, or Hakeem Olajuwaun (no idea how to spell it anymore, lol). Robinson was great but is a little overshadowed by some of the other great players of the era.

My All-time team:
Magic
Jordan
Oscar Robertson
Bill Russell
Wilt

Even if you cut out the older guys:
Magic
Jordan
Bird
Hakeem
Shaq

Stockton was the man, and is easily the best PG of the 90's, but all-time Magic is the man.
Shawn91111
4/7/09 2:04:29AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Jackelope

Jordan is the man.

No way the Admiral is on the all-time team over Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Shaq, or Hakeem Olajuwaun (no idea how to spell it anymore, lol). Robinson was great but is a little overshadowed by some of the other great players of the era.

My All-time team:
Magic
Jordan
Oscar Robertson
Bill Russell
Wilt

Magic
Jordan
Bird
Hakeem
Shaq

Stockton was the man, and is easily the best PG of the 90's, but all-time Magic is the man.

Ill agree with most of that. D-Rob was a better defender and better passer by far than Shaq but Shaq was more dominate player. Id say Robinson is just outside the top 5 for all time centers and thats nothing to be ashamed of.
Jackelope
4/7/09 9:30:51AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Jackelope

Jordan is the man.

My All-time team:
Magic
Jordan
Oscar Robertson
Bill Russell
Wilt

Magic
Jordan
Bird
Hakeem
Shaq

Yeah, after I posted that last night I started thinking about some of the all time centers and kind of regretted the post. I think Shaq will definitely be the most dominant center of all time considering the players he was playing against and the way he changed the game, but there are some other great names on that list. I just think, in all sports, its hard to compare what the guys of 30 years ago were doing compared to the guys of today.

I will say, though, that Robinson was highly underrated throughout his career in my opinion. He was a fantastic role player, and I think that's something that is missing from basketball today in a LOT of teams. Guys who know what their position is and what it entails. When you're talking about team chemistry that means a lot. The Phoenix Suns are a perfect example of that. They have some of the most talented players in the NBA, but they're not making the playoffs this year because they don't have cohesive role players. It's not always your triple double guys that make a team. The AC Greens, David Robinsons, Robert Horrys, and Dennis Rodmans of the world play such a vital role that is so overlooked in basketball today. That's a reason why I would consider starting Stockton over Magic, even though they would probably each end up getting 30 minutes, because Magic was a fantastic role player, too. Its not always all about numbers.

Which is why I would place Robinson in a top 5 all time list above older centers who I believe would get rocked by today's players. Can you imagine Kareem trying to post up against Shaq's huge frame? LOL. Granted his style would actually sort of match up well with Shaq, but when you incorporate an entire team into that mix with today's players you nullify the hook shot somewhat and cause massive problems
cowcatcher
4/7/09 12:18:27PM
i was always a bucks fan and hated the bulls and even MJ until i got a little older and it became more and more apparent that he was quite possibly the best ever. i got to see him play live about a dozen times and feel extremely lucky to have done so.
Shawn91111
4/7/09 6:14:12PM

Yeah, after I posted that last night I started thinking about some of the all time centers and kind of regretted the post. I think Shaq will definitely be the most dominant center of all time considering the players he was playing against and the way he changed the game, but there are some other great names on that list. I just think, in all sports, its hard to compare what the guys of 30 years ago were doing compared to the guys of today.

I will say, though, that Robinson was highly underrated throughout his career in my opinion. He was a fantastic role player, and I think that's something that is missing from basketball today in a LOT of teams. Guys who know what their position is and what it entails. When you're talking about team chemistry that means a lot. The Phoenix Suns are a perfect example of that. They have some of the most talented players in the NBA, but they're not making the playoffs this year because they don't have cohesive role players. It's not always your triple double guys that make a team. The AC Greens, David Robinsons, Robert Horrys, and Dennis Rodmans of the world play such a vital role that is so overlooked in basketball today. That's a reason why I would consider starting Stockton over Magic, even though they would probably each end up getting 30 minutes, because Magic was a fantastic role player, too. Its not always all about numbers.

Which is why I would place Robinson in a top 5 all time list above older centers who I believe would get rocked by today's players. Can you imagine Kareem trying to post up against Shaq's huge frame? LOL. Granted his style would actually sort of match up well with Shaq, but when you incorporate an entire team into that mix with today's players you nullify the hook shot somewhat and cause massive problems

In his later years D-Rob was a role player to Duncan if that is what you mean. I cannot place him above Kareem. Todays players with todays rules and the ticky-tack fouls Kareem would have been a great player. There are a few players sure who wouldnt be as great as they were in any sport, but generally if you were a great player then chances are good you would be a great player today.

Kareem was a very underrated passer with great court vision and asuperb defender. His first 7 years in the league he played major minutes never going below 40mpg. Thats a huge tole on your body for a guard let alone someone as big as him. D-Rob, Hakeem and Shaq only hit the 40mpg makr 1 time in each of their careers. In Kareems prime he was just as unstoppable on offense as Shaq was, maybe with not the same thundering dunks but had so many great moves.