What would be your base discipline

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What would be your base discipline
prophecy033
8/2/11 11:43:02PM
Some guys want a wrestling background, others jiu-jitsu. Others prefer the standup. What would be your base discipline if you were a fighter?
Chael_Sonnen
8/3/11 1:21:44AM
Wrestling 101
tcunningham
8/3/11 2:56:58AM
i do fight and its wrestling. one of the best bases for MMA is wrestling
BeeR
8/3/11 6:57:24AM
wrestling.
Khaos
8/3/11 7:14:04AM
I'm training MMA now, but for me the base, where I started, was BJJ.
emfleek
8/3/11 8:06:30AM
The smart move would be wrestling.

However, I'd choose Muay Thai.
ghandikush
8/3/11 8:51:10AM
Wrestling.
Theoutlaw08
8/3/11 10:36:23AM
Either Muay Thai or BJJ.
I've trained a little in BJJ and thought it was a lot of fun. Would like to try Muay Thai.....
prophecy033
8/3/11 11:36:13AM
Ive messed around with jiu-jitsu, and my brother wrestles in high school. It always ends with him in my guard, I pull the body triangle so he can't pass. He's a tough little sucker. The High school we went to is a wrestling and football school. He won freshman state his first year wrestling. So I would be either wrestling or jiu-jitsu for me
Theoutlaw08
8/3/11 12:25:18PM

Posted by prophecy033

Ive messed around with jiu-jitsu, and my brother wrestles in high school. It always ends with him in my guard, I pull the body triangle so he can't pass. He's a tough little sucker. The High school we went to is a wrestling and football school. He won freshman state his first year wrestling. So I would be either wrestling or jiu-jitsu for me

It's nice to have someone to grapple with, my fiance's little brother who is 18 grapples with me. I'm much stronger them him, but he's not bad, and it's better than not grappling at all. I have long legs which I use to my advantage. He's never gotten the best of me.
prophecy033
8/3/11 1:48:50PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by prophecy033

It's nice to have someone to grapple with, my fiance's little brother who is 18 grapples with me. I'm much stronger them him, but he's not bad, and it's better than not grappling at all. I have long legs which I use to my advantage. He's never gotten the best of me.

it keeps my 28 year old butt in shape. He goes to wrestling practice, I go to work. He's in good shape but it got 35 pounds and 10 years on him. Last time we grappled, he put his chin in my chest, so I open palm struck him in the ears a few times. My chest hurt for a week
SpiderSilva
8/3/11 4:57:39PM
Thugjitsu
prophecy033
8/3/11 5:18:53PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Thugjitsu

word up to yves edwards
Malaussie
8/4/11 7:54:14AM
Joe Son Do FTW!!!!
Budgellism
8/4/11 8:43:50AM
I went through 8 years of karate so I guess that. If I had a choice I'd go with BJJ though. I love grappling. Wrestling is the best base but Ju-jit-su would probably be the most enjoyable and easiest to fall in love with.
Malaussie
8/5/11 2:04:18AM
Actually I change my mind I would choose Ultimate Fighting
Pookie
8/5/11 2:14:17AM
Different body styles will benefit from different Disciplines, so its really dependent on your genetics and what you've done with what you've been given.

As a relatively wide and stocky guy with a big back, small arms, wide hips, broad shoulders, small thighs and big calves... Probably Greco-Roman. I don't have the explosion for freestyle.

In theory though, the best base would be to not have a base, but rather to adapt continuously and adopt what works efficiently, disregarding what wastes energy.

In actuality, It was boxing that i got the best at out of Muay Thai/ Judo/ Boxing/ Tae Kwon Do.