Bas Rutten Steps Down as Coach on IFL

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Bas Rutten Steps Down as Coach on IFL
snakeplissken
3/18/07 4:52:53AM
From MMA Weekly

- BAS RUTTEN STEPS DOWN AS IFL HEAD COACH
Sunday, March 18, 2007 - by Jeff Cain - MMAWeekly.com

Mixed martial arts legend Bas Rutten has stepped down from his position as a coach in the IFL to take on a higher-profile role in the relatively new MMA promotion.

Prior to the IFL event on Saturday night, Rutten announced the news to the live crowd at the Forum in Inglewood, California.

Originally reported by Sherdog.com's Greg Savage, Rutten's role with the IFL will transform from coach to the "Face of the IFL" in the broadcasters' booth as well as hosting the "IFL Battleground" series on MyNetworkTV.

Rutten is a three-time King of Pancrace, a former UFC Heavyweight Champion, and a former longtime color commentator for Pride Fighting Championships. Rutten's charisma and knowledge of the sport would seem to make him tailor-made for his IFL TV roles.

Los Angeles Anacondas' assistant coach Shawn Tompkins will replace Bas as head coach.

The Anacondas defeated the Pat Miletich-coached Silverbacks, who are the two-time IFL Team Champions, in the season opener. Tompkins will be coaching a team that may very well be the favorites to win the Team Championship of the IFL's first full-length, 12-team season.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bas was always the highlight of many a Pride event with his commentary so I reckon this is a good move for him. But surely they need a more high profile head coach as replacement though?

Svartorm
3/18/07 5:46:01PM
Whats high-profile though? Most newer MMA fans probably don't know who Maurice Smith, Frye and Ruas are either.
madmarck
3/18/07 5:55:13PM

Posted by Svartorm

Whats high-profile though? Most newer MMA fans probably don't know who Maurice Smith, Frye and Ruas are either.

Nice. Not to mention Shawn tompkins has got some fairly big acclaim lately. He coached and cornered Dan Henderson in his fight against Wand. And he was on TV talking about his coaching of Forrest for his Keith fight.

Not to mention he can always be seen cornering his own stable of fighters like sam Stout and Mark Hominick in the UFC.

somethingclever
3/18/07 6:27:54PM
Lets hope the anacondas can keep up thier current streak without him. As long as Horodecki and a couple others are on the squad they should continue to tear through most of the other squads.
hippysmacker
3/19/07 8:26:33AM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Svartorm

Nice. Not to mention Shawn tompkins has got some fairly big acclaim lately. He coached and cornered Dan Henderson in his fight against Wand. And he was on TV talking about his coaching of Forrest for his Keith fight.

Not to mention he can always be seen cornering his own stable of fighters like sam Stout and Mark Hominick in the UFC.

I think you both have a decent point. The IFL can always use the term former UFC Champion and MMA fighting legend with Bas, Frye, Smith, Ruas. They can't say the same with Tompkins. On the other hand they can bring up the names of the people he trains that have fought in the UFC. My point is they are trying to pull in the casual UFC fan. All us diehards care that he trains with Hendo,Sokoudjou etc. The casual UFC fan probably doesn't even know about other orgs. I would guess they will keep playing up the Bas former team angle. Either way the only way they are gonna get established is if their TV deal gets them enough exposure, and the fighter's put on good fights IMO.
madmarck
3/19/07 8:50:09AM

Posted by somethingclever

Lets hope the anacondas can keep up thier current streak without him. As long as Horodecki and a couple others are on the squad they should continue to tear through most of the other squads.

Horodecki will keep it up. Dont worry about that. As for the winning streak. Bas was only coaching/cornering the fihgters for the first event.
Shawn Tompkins was in the fighters corners last night. So really Bas didnt give them the winnign streak.
Im sure Bas did have a lot to do with their training up to the fight though as i have no doubt his awesomeness has influnced them.
themmachamp
3/20/07 2:13:33PM
the team will continue to do well with Tompkins. He was the one who started to train horodecki when he first started.
madmarck
3/20/07 3:37:54PM

Posted by themmachamp

the team will continue to do well with Tompkins. He was the one who started to train horodecki when he first started.

I just wonder what will happen to Team Tompkins fighters like Stout and Hominick. Think they are gonna go tot he states to train with Shawn? Or would Shawn fly the long way back to Toronto? I think Shawn is the guy that is gonna do the moving around. After all Horodecki can do it and he is fighting and taking a Paramedics course in Canada.
migo
3/21/07 2:31:12AM
Awesome that they're bringing in Tompkins. It'll be nice if they can end up eventually getting it to the point that it's the top coaches who have strong fighters in every (or almost every) weight class and they train together for real. It would also be nice if they actually use their team names instead of the dorky ones from the IFL. That would get a lot more interest.