Bas Rutten slaps a verbal "hold 'til cold" on Alistair Overeem

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Bas Rutten slaps a verbal "hold 'til cold" on Alistair Overeem
emfleek
11/16/11 10:16:04AM
Paul Lazenby recently caught up with Bas Rutten and asked him about Alistair Overeem, who recently split with Team Golden Glory.

There is no one in MMA with more colorful stories than Bas. For example, when he was a bouncer in Holland someone did something really bad at the door, so he choked them out, and then heel hooked each leg.

In this interview, Bas does the verbal equivalent to Overeem.

Oh no, you didn't go there! (laughs) I thought that if nobody asks, I won't say anything, but now that you ask me I have to! It's been bothering me a lot! OK, here I go.

It's a money thing. He simply doesn't want to pay the people who made him. When he lost three fights in a row...well, like pretty much five, I mean, he lost, won, lost three times in a row, won, and lost again...and nobody wanted to have him.

But his management kept pushing and using the power that they have because they have other great fighters. Like, for example: "If you want Semmy Schilt to fight, then you have to take Alistair as well."

It's funny how fighters think. When it goes bad with them, their team is everything to them, and they love their team. In interviews after they win a fight, they say: "I owe everything to my team". Then when the management starts to put great fights together for them, directing their careers and the fighter gets better and better, some of them simply can't handle it, and it gets to their head.

I had a bad feeling already when he called himself, after he won the K-1 Grand Prix, a "legend". He actually said in an interview right after he won: "I am a legend now". I don't think a fighter can ever make that comment about himself.

And talking about the Grand Prix, let's face it, he had a great deal of luck as well there. He fought Peter Aerts who had a WAR with Semmy Schilt [previously that night] and was completely banged up, and then he fought [Gokhan] Saki, who had a broken arm AND hand, in the finals! At that moment when you win, you should say: "I'm very happy with the result, the stars were in line for me tonight, I also got a little bit of luck". Because everybody is going to say that about you anyway, you might as well simply say it yourself to keep the people respecting you, but NOT: "I'm a legend".

Full Interview
airkerma
11/16/11 10:58:02AM
Isn't this how most athletes act? They better themselves through their team (also helping the team as well) and seek out better deals. Not my favorite move, but other than brian kelly being a dbag and going to notre dame, it is hard to criticize them for doing so if they think they can make more money and possibly perform better. As for being a legend maybe he just is a huge will smith fan and just watched that movie
emfleek
11/16/11 11:18:11AM

Posted by airkerma

Isn't this how most athletes act? They better themselves through their team (also helping the team as well) and seek out better deals. Not my favorite move, but other than brian kelly being a dbag and going to notre dame, it is hard to criticize them for doing so if they think they can make more money and possibly perform better. As for being a legend maybe he just is a huge will smith fan and just watched that movie

It may be how most athletes act but that doesn't make it right. If what Bas says is true (and I have no reason to believe he would lie about it) then this just makes Alistair look like a major douchebag.

I'm going to be so happy when he fails miserably in the UFC.

papercut
11/16/11 11:23:46AM

Posted by emfleek

I'm going to be so happy when he wins the belt in the UFC.

fixed
emfleek
11/16/11 11:38:17AM

Posted by papercut

Posted by emfleek

fixed

I'll gladly do an avatar bet for Alistair/Brock if you're interested.
MaxOne
11/16/11 11:43:01AM
This is not only how many athletes act it is how most people act. Even "good" people tend to be selfish and get blinded by pride or the desire to get ahead or whatever.

I've worked w/a lot of people in music over the years and some of the coolest most down to earth people have ended up screwing over the folks around them at some point.

Sometimes blatantly and sometimes they are oblivious to what they've done.
papercut
11/16/11 11:44:31AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by papercut

Posted by emfleek

fixed

I'll gladly do an avatar bet for Alistair/Brock if you're interested.

I'll take that bet.
KungFuMaster
11/16/11 11:49:09AM
If there is anybody in the MMA world I trust, it would be Bas Rutten. In his Pride days as a commentator, Bas is straight to the point and very blunt about his assessment of fighters. He strikes me as a genuine character who will say what others are afraid to say.

I don't know the story behind Alistair and Golden Glory but if Bas says that is what it is then I will take his word for it over some media source.

And another thing, Bas is so right when he said fighters should not call themselves legends no matter how great they are. However, I would make an exception for a special fighter. The only fighter who can get away with calling himself a legend would be..............Chael Sonnen.
Bubbles
11/16/11 3:25:21PM
if what Bas said is true, i have lost some respect for Overeem. i am now waiting for Overeems response to this

that being said, i still hope he lays out Lesnar
prophecy033
11/16/11 3:31:07PM

i still hope he lays out Lesnar
You and I hold the same hope
Geoffo
11/16/11 5:25:25PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

If there is anybody in the MMA world I trust, it would be Bas Rutten. In his Pride days as a commentator, Bas is straight to the point and very blunt about his assessment of fighters. He strikes me as a genuine character who will say what others are afraid to say.

I don't know the story behind Alistair and Golden Glory but if Bas says that is what it is then I will take his word for it over some media source.

And another thing, Bas is so right when he said fighters should not call themselves legends no matter how great they are. However, I would make an exception for a special fighter. The only fighter who can get away with calling himself a legend would be..............Chael Sonnen.

HAHAHA yup, only Chael Sonnen.
DeadHead988
11/16/11 7:26:41PM
I've never liked Overeem, and Bas's comments have only reinforced those dislikes.
tcunningham
11/17/11 2:16:03AM
i think alistair's got a good chance of beating lesnar, but i dont see him winning the ufc belt. i couldnt care any less about the rest of that shit
kingsmasher
11/17/11 2:20:25PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by airkerma

It may be how most athletes act but that doesn't make it right. If what Bas says is true (and I have no reason to believe he would lie about it) then this just makes Alistair look like a major douchebag.

I'm going to be so happy when he fails miserably in the UFC.

Alistair Overeem is in the latest LMFAO video...I would guess Brock is going to clinch...and go for TD immediately
postman
11/17/11 4:55:59PM
ALL of you are insane Bas Rutten is boys with the entire golden glory crew Bas said he was going to turn Kimbo into a Champion. Bas calls all of Golden Glory's Shows your going to take information from that guy he is not the best source IMO