Bas Rutten Says Alistair Overeem Has A Glass Jaw, Will Lose To Junior Dos Santos

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Bas Rutten Says Alistair Overeem Has A Glass Jaw, Will Lose To Junior Dos Santos
Budgellism
1/22/12 11:40:14AM
"I think Alistair, everything he does is one single shot because he knows he's got that glass jaw as well. He's been knocked out quite a few times in the past, even by Chuck Liddell as well. Every time when he punches, one hand is up. He throws single shots; he doesn't throw combinations. You saw that when he fought [Fabricio] Werdum. Werdum was actually tagging him more than he did to Werdum. I think that Junior dos Santos, with his combinations, his reach, I think he's going to tag him and he's going to throw combos and I think that yeah, he's going to take this fight."

- Bas Rutten

LINK
SmileR
1/22/12 12:09:48PM
I don't like the way Bas is using Chuck as an example of Alistair having a glass jaw. In his prime Chuck could knock anyone out an even now he'd still ruin someones night with a well placed shot.

Can't really argue with him about Alistair not throwing combos though!
Kpro
1/22/12 12:20:54PM
Not saying Bas would show bias due to his Golden Glory allegiance in light of the Reem/GG ordeal, but still, 2 months ago....

According to Bas, contrary to what Alistair is telling everyone, it was him and Not Golden Glory who are to blame for the situation and that the split came because Overeem has no loyalty to the people who were behind him through the good and bad times in his career.

“It’s a money thing. He simply doesn’t want to pay the people who made him. When he lost three fights in a row…well, like pretty much five, I mean, he lost, won, lost three times in a row, won, and lost again…and nobody wanted to have him. But his management kept pushing and using the power that they have because they have other great fighters. Like, for example [they would say],’If you want Semmy Schilt to fight, then you have to take Alistair as well.’ It’s funny how fighters think,” Rutten explains. “When it goes bad with them, their team is everything to them, and they love their team. In interviews after they win a fight, they say: “I owe everything to my team”. Then when the management starts to put great fights together for them, directing their careers and the fighter gets better and better, some of them simply can’t handle it, and it gets to their head.”

“I KNOW what Golden Glory did for him. He couldn’t punch or kick when he came to them, and I mean, HE COULDN’T PUNCH OR KICK! Some fighters get big and then forget who was fighting for them when they were losing.

LINK
grappler0000
1/22/12 12:44:24PM
I love ya Bas, but you're letting your emotions speak for you...not with his opinion necessarily, but with the verbiage.
shaneTpain
1/22/12 1:19:54PM
Bas says alot of things
sbulldavid
1/22/12 3:17:36PM
Bas is right about one thing though, Overeem's defense and ability to take adversity is quite a few notches below his offense. He's always one punch from losing to Joe Contender. I would never put him in my parlay against anybody with a punchers chance.
Poor_Franklin
1/22/12 4:17:53PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Bas is right about one thing though, Overeem's defense and ability to take adversity is quite a few notches below his offense. He's always one punch from losing to Joe Contender. I would never put him in my parlay against anybody with a punchers chance.

agreed. im picking jds, but not bc bas told me to
loonytnt
1/22/12 5:41:27PM
Let them fight and we will all see =) nuff said
Pookie
1/22/12 6:17:30PM
Bas has a good point. Combinations in a striking match will set up the cleaner punches, and it's not like Alistair pushes a hard enough pace to gas Dos Santos and punish him late.
sbulldavid
1/22/12 6:23:34PM
I'll decide two hour before the fight locks by flipping a coin.
tcunningham
1/22/12 7:17:54PM
i dont think overeem has a glass jaw. i think at the level that he's fighting at, all the top HW's can KO anybody. i think bas is still butt hurt about the whole SF and golden glory thing. overeem has just as much of a chance to KO dos santos as dos santos has to KO overeem
Aether
1/22/12 10:29:02PM

Posted by tcunningham
Overeem has just as much of a chance to KO dos santos as dos santos has to KO overeem

STRONGLY disagree. JDS has a way stronger chin than Overeem IMO. Overeem's chin might not be glass, but it's also not exactly granite.
lohmann
1/22/12 11:44:02PM
Does it even matter? Defense at heavyweight tends to be a non-factor anyway, because one stiff punch can shatter the aggregate. JDS and Overeem both hit so hard they can sink the Titanic, and an impact shot on the noggin from either would drop a bear.

This is heavyweight, people, where 99% of the division is fat dudes looking to break somebody else's face before their own is broken. This is the division where the most memorable display of BJJ in the last two years was not technique; it was the opposite of technique when Frank Mir rolled over Big Nog's arm like a tank. Sure, Overeem and JDS at least have a modicum of skill relative to the rest of the division, but it all comes down to who gets hit first.

Bas's point could be right; Bas could be wrong. (It's probably just Bas hatin' on a defector.) In the end, for me, it doesn't really matter.
KungFuMaster
1/22/12 11:46:22PM
I find it funny Bas is accusing Overeem of getting a big head. Bas used to never insult fighters - so where is this coming from? Let me see...

Bas has become a household name in the last three years. Prior to that - only hard core mma fans knew who Bas was and what he did in MMA. I get the feeling it is not only Overeem who is getting a big head - if that was truly the case.
Aether
1/23/12 2:56:14AM
I think the people who think that any HW can KO any other HW are underestimating just how much punishment some of these guys can absorb. Have any of you guys watched Mark Hunt take a headkick from CroCop without blinking an eye, or watched Mike Russow get punched in the head for 13 minutes by Todd Duffee before knocking him out with one shot?

There are absolutely guys that can eat the best shots that any Heavyweight has to offer and keep moving forward. It may not be super common, but I disagree with this notion that any HW will KO any other HW if they just land clean. Some guys can take way, way more than others, and some guys can take what seems to be an inhuman amount of punishment without it even phasing them.
warglory
1/23/12 7:44:46AM
Yeah I think Bas is really starting to show his bias. He never had a bad thing to say about Overeem before his fallout with Golden Glory, and now he is really kicking it up a notch. Not very flattering Bas, just stay out of the mud.
kingsmasher
1/23/12 1:39:55PM
Interesting concept...So if JDS hits you and you get KTFO u have a glass jaw?

Come on man any well placed shot I dont care who you are your getting KTFO....

To sate someone has a glass jaw liek Bas did is not professional and defintiely has an underlying motive....
DoTheMMAth
1/23/12 6:57:30PM
Bas is close with Golden Glory
Bas gets pissed when people move on in their careers (reference - Kimbo)
Bas maybe wishes he more accomplishments like Overeem has
Bas is being childish / unprofessional

Overeem finished Lesnar despite having real life personal issues going on

Maybe I'm a little biased, but I'm not with Bas on this one, even if he does make cutesy sound effects while on TV.
Cooler
1/23/12 9:26:19PM
I Agree.
Kpro
1/24/12 1:08:44PM
I'm not going to compare JDS vs. Overeem's chin as that to me is similar to talking P4P rankings, the comparisons are never equivalent. I will say though that Overeem is 12-1 in MMA and 8-2 in K-1 since his permanent move to Heavyweight. The only time he's been knocked out cold in any combat sport or even lost as a Heavyweight in MMA post-permanent-move-to-HW was by a punch only 6 months after he decided to move up to HW by Sergei Kharitonov who outweighed him by 20+ pounds at the time and is arguably the most decorated HW MMA boxer there is. And of note, Overeem TKO'd Kharitonov with knees a year prior, before he made the permanent move to HW.

In that time, since the move 4 1/2 years ago, he's put on 60 pounds and gone 20-3 in combat sports, he's taken shots from Badr Hari, Peter Aerts, Remy Bonjasky, Tyron Spong, Gokhan Saki, Mark Hunt, Paul Buentello, Cro Cop, Brett Rogers, and about a half dozen other MMA guys who I'd have to even watch the fights again to see if they landed against him because he finished them so early.

If, as a Heavyweight only, going 20-3 while winning the 2010 K-1 Wold Grand Prix, KO'ing Badr Hari and Peter Aerts, while winning his past 12 MMA fights over 4+ years along with the DREAM & Strikeforce HW titles, taking many shots from the best and not getting knocked unconscious as a Heavyweight means you have a glass jaw. Then by all means Overeem has the glassiest jaw in the game today.

If you're looking at Overeem as the lighter fighter he once was pre-permanent move to HW, who was 24-10 and had been stopped by strikes 6 times then you're living in an era circa 5-13 years ago and 60 pounds of horse meat ago.
Bubbles
1/24/12 7:38:15PM

Posted by Kpro

I'm not going to compare JDS vs. Overeem's chin as that to me is similar to talking P4P rankings, the comparisons are never equivalent. I will say though that Overeem is 12-1 in MMA and 8-2 in K-1 since his permanent move to Heavyweight. The only time he's been knocked out cold in any combat sport or even lost as a Heavyweight in MMA post-permanent-move-to-HW was by a punch only 6 months after he decided to move up to HW by Sergei Kharitonov who outweighed him by 20+ pounds at the time and is arguably the most decorated HW MMA boxer there is. And of note, Overeem TKO'd Kharitonov with knees a year prior, before he made the permanent move to HW.

In that time, since the move 4 1/2 years ago, he's put on 60 pounds and gone 20-3 in combat sports, he's taken shots from Badr Hari, Peter Aerts, Remy Bonjasky, Tyron Spong, Gokhan Saki, Mark Hunt, Paul Buentello, Cro Cop, Brett Rogers, and about a half dozen other MMA guys who I'd have to even watch the fights again to see if they landed against him because he finished them so early.

If, as a Heavyweight only, going 20-3 while winning the 2010 K-1 Wold Grand Prix, KO'ing Badr Hari and Peter Aerts, while winning his past 12 MMA fights over 4+ years along with the DREAM & Strikeforce HW titles, taking many shots from the best and not getting knocked unconscious as a Heavyweight means you have a glass jaw. Then by all means Overeem has the glassiest jaw in the game today.

If you're looking at Overeem as the lighter fighter he once was pre-permanent move to HW, who was 24-10 and had been stopped by strikes 6 times then you're living in an era circa 5-13 years ago and 60 pounds of horse meat ago.

but Bas said it, therefore its true!
prophecy033
1/24/12 8:13:56PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by tcunningham
Overeem has just as much of a chance to KO dos santos as dos santos has to KO overeem

STRONGLY disagree. JDS has a way stronger chin than Overeem IMO. Overeem's chin might not be glass, but it's also not exactly granite.

we'll see where his chins at when he's fought as many fights as Overeem
Pookie
1/24/12 8:29:38PM

Posted by Aether

I think the people who think that any HW can KO any other HW are underestimating just how much punishment some of these guys can absorb. Have any of you guys watched Mark Hunt take a headkick from CroCop without blinking an eye, or watched Mike Russow get punched in the head for 13 minutes by Todd Duffee before knocking him out with one shot?

There are absolutely guys that can eat the best shots that any Heavyweight has to offer and keep moving forward. It may not be super common, but I disagree with this notion that any HW will KO any other HW if they just land clean. Some guys can take way, way more than others, and some guys can take what seems to be an inhuman amount of punishment without it even phasing them.

Hendo187
2/5/12 11:50:48AM
Alistair is one of my fav fighters but yes his Jaw his questionable. If he can come in more quicker than his prev 2 fights i believe he can stand with Dos Santos but if the SF Overeem shows up hes gonna be a sitting duck for Dos Equis Santos,