Baroni knew he would return to the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Baroni knew he would return to the UFC
emfleek
8/18/09 8:26:14AM
Lost in the buzz surrounding the Gina Carano vs. Cris Cyborg women's title fight was the news that veteran Phil Baroni signed a new deal with the UFC.

Baroni made his UFC debut at UFC 30 in February 2001, defeating Curtis Stout via unanimous decision. He went 3-5 inside the Octagon, and was released from the organization following his loss to Pete Sell at UFC 51. FanHouse spoke to Baroni via e-mail recently about his surprising return to the UFC. The full interview is below.

STORY
prozacnation1978
8/18/09 9:23:35AM
i still don't know how he got back in the ufc??
maybe he found a horseshoe or shamrock??
Jackelope
8/18/09 9:39:35AM
LOL I have no idea how he got back into the UFC, either. Guy got beat up pretty good in the UFC, and he's been getting beat up pretty good outside of it. Not hatin' though, his fights are always exciting
emfleek
8/18/09 9:41:13AM
Oh well...I'll always welcome another fighter that I can root against.
kevietre
8/18/09 1:45:25PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i still don't know how he got back in the ufc??
maybe he found a horseshoe or shamrock??

He's the best EVA !
jae_1833
8/18/09 2:18:36PM
I see him as a way to put a tough fighter in the WW division who will prove exciting to watch lose. It's a way for some of the WWs in the UFC to get a good win under their belt, because otherwise it looks like none of them rate a title shot....can't have a fan draw like GSP sitting around and not defending his belt, he's just too well liked and exciting a fighter to waste.
zephead
8/18/09 2:54:05PM
Phil talks smack and is a personality. He might not be a great fighter, but he will throw down.
Shadymlm
8/18/09 5:02:34PM

Posted by jae_1833

I see him as a way to put a tough fighter in the WW division who will prove exciting to watch lose. It's a way for some of the WWs in the UFC to get a good win under their belt, because otherwise it looks like none of them rate a title shot....can't have a fan draw like GSP sitting around and not defending his belt, he's just too well liked and exciting a fighter to waste.

GSP doesn't have to just sit around. He can grow a pair and fight some good MW's until the WW division fills out again, until then he'll just be another can crusher.
jae_1833
8/18/09 5:21:43PM
True, but with A Silva talking about making the move to LHW and that being the only MW anyone's ever mentioned wanting to see GSP fight then I thought it was a mute point. I think the move to MW is a very dangerous one for GSP....guys like Kampmann, Gouveia, Marquardt, not to mention Hendo, Wand (if he does move down) can prove to be his demise. I see them all large, strong , and hard hitting enough to possibly finish GSP....I mean c'mon he is only 5'10". I don't know why people think he could clear out that division.....much less take on A. Silva.