Barnett for thought ...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Barnett for thought ...
LightsOUT23
2/20/12 12:01:06PM
With Josh Barnett and Daniel Cromier fast approaching, all eyes on the Strike force heavyweights being filtered into the UFC or cut from either promotion, i had a thought regarding Barnett's chances of getting another crack in the UFC. As he failed a drugs test after taking the HW title from Couture and being kicked out of the UFC, Dana White made it clear that Barnett would never fight in the UFC again. Well, with the death of Pride FC, K1 going through financial problems and the Likes of Dream and other new Japanese events coming slower and slower, it would seem that the UFC re-entering the Japanese market couldn't of come at a better time.
Josh Barnett win or lose against Cromier could still get his chance once more under the Zuffa banner. Not only is Josh Barnett a huge star in the Japanese world of MMA, he has a huge fan base over there, he understands the Japanese way of life, not mention that he can speak the fluent Japanese language. Barnett has beaten some good competition outside the UFC in the last couple of years, that in my opinion would set him up nicely for a UFC Japan event putting Barnett up against the likes of a top 5 UFC HW fighter. In the sense of promotion for the UFC, ticket sales and the direction of the UFC trying to crack a new market, Barnett makes perfect sense.

Any thoughts ???
DeadHead988
2/20/12 12:02:47PM
It makes a lot of sense right now, plus Barnett is a great fighter.
Twenty20Dollars
2/20/12 1:29:53PM
I would like to see him get another shot.

Don't know if Barnett actually wants to fight in the UFC.

Don't know if Dana wants him in the UFC, especially after the Diaz situation.

Regardless I think Barney has earned his shot win or lose.
tcunningham
2/20/12 1:59:26PM
i think barnett deserves a shot in the ufc. i think he knows the importance of drug testing now, and has seen what happens when people piss dana of i.e. marquart, diaz, daley, etc. if /when he comes he's got to know that he'll already be skating on thin ice.

please dont f**k it barnett.
ncordless
2/20/12 3:09:40PM

Posted by LightsOUT23

Dana White made it clear that Barnett would never fight in the UFC again.

That was quite a while ago, and if we have learned anything since then it is that Dana's word on this issue is worth absolutely nothing.

Barney and Dana don't get along, but I doubt they let their relationship get in the way of business. Barney will be in the UFC for a couple years regardless of whether he wins or loses against Cormier (I think he loses bad).
Twenty20Dollars
2/20/12 3:51:39PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by LightsOUT23

Dana White made it clear that Barnett would never fight in the UFC again.

That was quite a while ago, and if we have learned anything since then it is that Dana's word on this issue is worth absolutely nothing.

Barney and Dana don't get along, but I doubt they let their relationship get in the way of business. Barney will be in the UFC for a couple years regardless of whether he wins or loses against Cormier (I think he loses bad).

To add on this, didn't someone deal with just Lorenzo instead of Dana, was it Tito? Barney could do that.
emfleek
2/20/12 3:52:57PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

To add on this, didn't someone deal with just Lorenzo instead of Dana, was it Tito? Barney could do that.

Fitch.
Poor_Franklin
2/20/12 4:00:45PM
i'd 'gasm if this happened. i think he'd beat a lot of the HWs in the UFC.

i thought it was a shame he wasnt on this weekend's card.
jae_1833
2/20/12 5:48:17PM
The dude is a great personality and a joy to watch compete......I can't support a repeat offender at this high of a level.....more than twice.....ridiculous! Even Leben lost my support on the second offense.
Lesnar1
2/20/12 7:23:24PM
Barnett deserves a spot on the ufc roster. He's made mistakes in the past but there is no deniying he's one of the best HW's in the game. The Cormier fight is kinda like a winner gets in the ufc loser not so sure kinda deal I think. But both fighters would make great additions to the HW division in the ufc. I'd love to see Barnett v Mir, Or Cormier v Beltran. I think Barnett will be given another chance.