Monson KO 0% (0)
Monson Dec 8% (3)
Monson Sub 8% (3)
Barnett KO 27% (10)
Barnett Dec 35% (13)
Barnett Sub 22% (8)
babytater03
4/24/08 12:03:34PM
American heavyweights and former UFC fighters Josh Barnett (21-5) and Jeff Monson (24-7) will meet May 18 at World Victory Road's second-ever show, "Sengoku II."

The Japanese-based organization made the announcement earlier today.

SOURCE

Cladrix
4/24/08 12:08:30PM
Great fight!!!!!!!.......... I think Barnet will get the UD in this one
Ordep
4/24/08 12:30:37PM
I don't know why, but when Zuffa bought Pride this was the first match-up I thought about. Should be a good fight.
silverbullet
4/24/08 12:50:51PM
Monson has a really great chance of putting Barnett away.
Red-Dragon
4/24/08 1:21:20PM

Posted by silverbullet

bullettdodger
4/24/08 2:00:50PM

Posted by silverbullet

I think Barnett will come away with the UD but i was surprised at the poll, personally i think Monson has a really great chance of putting Barnett away too... He has insane Jits and he is tenacious after the take down.... not tomention a HUGE guy... anyway i still think the Babyf faced assassin will come away from this one with a UD
billycarnage
4/24/08 2:34:16PM
These guys know eachother really well. They fought together on a team overseas last year. I don't know details I just remember an interview with Barney. I think that makes this pretty interesting it's like Tim vs Randy except they are both smart seasoned fighters as opposed to one trying to take advantage. It should be good. I like Barnett via UD.
nickcuc547
4/24/08 2:56:10PM

Posted by Ordep

I don't know why, but when Zuffa bought Pride this was the first match-up I thought about. Should be a good fight.

how was that tops on your list, should be a good fight but when i think of ufc and pride barnett and monson aren't even the top 5 guys you would think of, maybe not even top 10.
billycarnage
4/24/08 3:11:13PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by Ordep

how was that tops on your list, should be a good fight but when i think of ufc and pride barnett and monson aren't even the top 5 guys you would think of, maybe not even top 10.

I hope you you mean top 10 matchup because Barnett easily makes the top 10 HW if not top 5.
silverbullet
4/24/08 3:49:55PM
I don't know why so many ppl give this to Barnett. Not 100% sure about wrestling, but Monson has better JJ, better stand-up, and better conditioning. I see him winning this one no question.
Mchubb316
4/24/08 4:30:14PM
Barnett should win this fight. Monson had all sorts of fits against Sylvia, and although Barnett is not as big as Sylvia he is much bigger than Monson, and his ground game is Better than Sylvia's. Barnett by UD.
coldchillin
4/24/08 4:57:19PM
Barnett is one of the most well-rounded heavyweights in the game right now, Monson is a bit one-dimensional and I see Barnett pulling out a decision here.

I knew Barnett had trained Monson in the past so I'm very surprised to see these two fighting.
twoguns365
4/24/08 5:08:48PM
Monson's apparently a busy guy....this fight in May, still rumored to be on the June 14th Adrenaline card, and the fight in July for Affliction. Are any of these more official than another?
jae_1833
4/24/08 7:19:26PM
Monson does have a prob with taller guys...but they were all really good strikers....Chuck, Ricco, Forest, Tim, and Pedro for example...but Barnett is a ground guy primarily. At first I said Barnett but after thinking about it I think the Snowman will pull it off.
nickcuc547
4/24/08 7:49:10PM

Posted by billycarnage

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by Ordep

I hope you you mean top 10 matchup because Barnett easily makes the top 10 HW if not top 5.

absolutely top 5 heavyweight, but there are more than five fighters that i would rather see than barnett and much more then five matchups i'd rather see.
Kracker_Jap
4/24/08 7:51:18PM
Is it just me or is every heavy weight not signed with the UFC rumored to fight Monson????

Monson is from the 360 I will make some phone calls and try to get to the bottom of this
Pookie
4/24/08 8:27:22PM

Posted by silverbullet

I don't know why so many ppl give this to Barnett. Not 100% sure about wrestling, but Monson has better JJ, better stand-up, and better conditioning. I see him winning this one no question.

LOL better stand-up?

Pookie
4/24/08 8:28:31PM

Posted by jae_1833

Monson does have a prob with taller guys...but they were all really good strikers....Chuck, Ricco, Forest, Tim, and Pedro for example...but Barnett is a ground guy primarily. At first I said Barnett but after thinking about it I think the Snowman will pull it off.

Barnett is a better stiker than Ricco.
mrsmiley
4/24/08 8:32:09PM
I have to give it to Barnett,though Monson is a major darkhorse that could take the wind out of his sails.What happened with Monson VS Randlemen though?And why does it seem like some people believe that every top heavy weight is in the UFC?Maybe i'm just overstating,but sometimes I feel like people are just worshipping the UFC.I would claim they have the majority of talent,but they are not soley the only promotion with good fighters.

Monson is an Abhu Dahbi elite,but I think Barnetts solid ground game,along with great ground defense will secure him a win.
silverbullet
4/24/08 9:20:03PM

Posted by Pookie

lol are you on drugs or something? did you even watch his last fight?? Barnett couldn't even outstrike Yoshida.
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/24/08 9:26:50PM
Barnett by bloody nosed decision
jae_1833
4/24/08 11:26:19PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by jae_1833

Really ....the same Ricco that went to decision against Rizzo, and the same Barnett that Rizzo KOed??? I don't know man....have you seen Barnett strike??
silverbullet
4/25/08 8:42:47AM
EDIT