Barnett call out Couture, Calls him "Paper Champ"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Barnett call out Couture, Calls him "Paper Champ"
Next Page »
duggy
8/28/07 2:39:39PM
Josh Barnett released a myspace blog saying that since the UFC heavyweight belt was never taken from him he is the real champ, and that Randy is just a "paper champ." I would love to see Randy and Barney go at it.

mmanews
LR
8/28/07 2:47:08PM
Sounds like he's trying to get himself in the picture, possibly a contract with the UFC, much like Lesnar. I wouldn't mind seeing Couture vs. Barnett 2.
juanez13
8/28/07 2:53:03PM

Posted by LR

Sounds like he's trying to get himself in the picture, possibly a contract with the UFC, much like Lesnar. I wouldn't mind seeing Couture vs. Barnett 2.

, he is just trying to heat up things, so that people remeber that he beat randy, making them want to see a rematch thinking it will go different this time, if brock lesnar, tito ortiz, talk trash all the time, why not barnnet who actually is a top heavyweight in the world, having said that if he beats randy(wich i think he would) he would have to go against cro cop, and we all know how thats gonna end up
kerazzle
8/28/07 3:10:01PM
hah barnett is right to be angry, the UFC never supported him in any way to get an appeal for the steroid charge. He couldnt handle the finances of going to court for an appeal.
szucconi
8/28/07 3:12:39PM
Barnett is downplaying Gonzaga? Part of me agrees with him. Gonzaga only beat one top level guy, Crocop, but that something Barnett failed to do three times. And when Barnett beat Randy he was on the juice. He never REALLY won the title. I am not saying I would hate this fight, but Barnett is kidding himself if he thinks it would be a walk in the park. Barnett is on the outside looking in. Make him fight Crocop first.
Jujiden
8/28/07 3:21:32PM
I say take the bait. Why not make it more exciting. And what's wrong with a little drama anyways. It makes the fights more fun to watch and besides, it would make the Heavy Div. even more crazy than it is now. Let him talk his smack....maybe a little Barnett in the UFC would bait Fedor.
cmill21
8/28/07 3:25:47PM
Lol if you sign a star your not going to give him to a guy who clearly has his #. He woulden't be cheap to sign.
DevMahon
8/28/07 3:26:41PM
How can you call Couture a paper champion? He not only beat Gonzaga, who destroyed Cro Cop (how did Barnett do against him? I forget), but also Tim Sylvia, who has far more than ten fights.

Now, to say that Couture is unbeatable. I do disagree with that. NO ONE IS UNBEATABLE. But Couture is a legitimate champion until someone beats him. Josh Barnett whining about it doesn't change that.
Sam_Rothstein
8/28/07 3:39:24PM
that is a dangerous fight for couture, i think about 5 times more dangerous then napao

but it wont happen unless cro cop is retired because
billycarnage
8/28/07 3:43:11PM
Barnett is an awesome fighter and a good guy but there is a long line between him and coture. It would make a great fight but it aint gonna happen. Lets throw him in with Lesnar!
cmill21
8/28/07 3:45:40PM
Barny would sub lesnar in under 2. I just think he's fishing for a contract. Dana seems to sign guys who call people in the org out.
juanez13
8/28/07 3:47:01PM

Posted by cmill21

Barny would sub lesnar in under 2. I just think he's fishing for a contract. Dana seems to sign guys who call people in the org out.

yea thats true, except for soko, i dont know why he wouldnt sign soko, i think that guy would be a solid addition to the ufc...
bayonetxwork
8/28/07 3:58:42PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by cmill21

yea thats true, except for soko, i dont know why he wouldnt sign soko, i think that guy would be a solid addition to the ufc...

Yeah, I really really want to see Soko in the ufc, because there would be tons of interesting matchups.
nubby
8/28/07 4:37:09PM
I'd love to see him in the UFC also. What's funny is this isn't the first time he's said this. He said it before when Couture beat Sylvia as well a few months back.
MaxOne
8/28/07 4:38:35PM
Josh is tough...
I think a 2nd fight w/Randy would be tough too.
Randy seem's to have figured out how to handle the bigger guys that use to give him some trouble.

It'd be nice if Randy could avenge that loss...but it really shouldn't count since Josh was on the juice.

Both are great fighters.

loonytnt
8/28/07 5:00:50PM
lol paper randy is the real deal,barnett cant beat couture,randy is on his game atm
Jackelope
8/28/07 5:06:04PM
Barnett's a tough dude.. but this is below him IMO
Chris_Keppel
8/28/07 5:25:25PM
Go Randy. lol Josh Barnett is pretty good though.
Rush
8/28/07 6:16:34PM
If Randy was a paper champ his record wouldn't be 16-8. Nuff said!
cmill21
8/28/07 6:25:17PM
thats 2 wins to every loss, not that great of a record. Randy's not a paper champ, he's fought tough competition, but Barnett deserves to be in the UFC.
Bowen50
8/28/07 6:36:20PM
Barnett is clinically insane to think he can beat Couture right now.
punisher
8/28/07 7:09:29PM
Before Josh fights randy he should fight gonzaga,cro cop,tim sylvia,or two other top contender's i dont belive fighters should just enter the ufc and get a title shot they need to prove them self's as warriors of the octagon furst!!!!!
kerazzle
8/28/07 7:26:45PM

Posted by Bowen50

Yea he's so insane to think he can beat a guy whom he already destroyed.
juanez13
8/28/07 8:37:24PM

Posted by kerazzle

Posted by Bowen50

true, and how can you say he's figured bigger, stronger guys, he might have figured out a guy big like tim, but tim cant wrestle, josh is a big strong wresteler, and if he gets on top of randy, he could be in alot of trouble....no saying he would demolish randy, but randy wouldnt destroy josh either, he would have more than his hands full with josh..
nubby
8/28/07 8:56:20PM

Posted by kerazzle

Posted by Bowen50

*cough* steroids *cough*
JimiMak
8/28/07 9:18:08PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by kerazzle

Posted by Bowen50

*cough* steroids *cough*

You got to it before me. He did have the belt taken BY THE FREAKIN NSAC CUZ HE WAS ON ROIDS!!! I like Barnett and would love to see this match, but calling himself champ and randy paper is stupid. He's lost more recently, also. couture dominated the bigger, stronger barnet until he was reversed and managed to get a ref stoppage. Again, couture dominated ricco until again, he got reversed and ricco got the tko stoppage due to an elbow in the eye socket. Barnet went on to rule as champ until... ah yes, no title defence due to steroids, then ricco done well in his first defence getting ko'd in round one by big tim who just got whipped by couture
Copenhagen
8/28/07 9:37:11PM
I think this is the first time I've ever heard a fighter talk bad about Couture. Barnett is going to lose a lot of fans by making this statement. Although, it also might get him a contract.

Also, a lot of you are underestimating Barnett. It's OK to say you think Randy is favored in this fight, but I don't see how your can say Randy would beat him in a "without a doubt" fashion.
cmill21
8/28/07 10:05:16PM

You got to it before me. He did have the belt taken BY THE FREAKIN NSAC CUZ HE WAS ON ROIDS!!! I like Barnett and would love to see this match, but calling himself champ and randy paper is stupid. He's lost more recently, also. couture dominated the bigger, stronger barnet until he was reversed and managed to get a ref stoppage. Again, couture dominated ricco until again, he got reversed and ricco got the tko stoppage due to an elbow in the eye socket. Barnet went on to rule as champ until... ah yes, no title defence due to steroids, then ricco done well in his first defence getting ko'd in round one by big tim who just got whipped by couture

mmath....works every time. Do you guys realize that not to many years ago randy had to get out of the HW div because he was getting punished badly. Then he comes back because he thought the div was weak beats two lower echelon guys and now he's the king? Randy's a legend no doubt but time isn't on his side and neither are all the guys he'll be fighting soon.
jae_1833
8/28/07 11:24:19PM
I hope he does get his chance in the octagoan, him and about 10 others need to be snagged up and then all the Pride vs UFC debates can be settled.
jgtribbett
8/29/07 10:12:47AM
barnett would have to go through nog, cc and gonzaga first... he'd never make it to the top. i dont have as much faith in his game and i do everyone elses
Pages: [1] 2