Barnett Vs Brock - Who wins?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Barnett Vs Brock - Who wins?
POLL: So who takes this and how?
Barnett 60% (31)
Lesnar 40% (21)
SmileR
5/31/09 2:43:51PM
Who in your opinion takes the big W from this?
I personally think Brock takes the win being more explosive and a better wrestler but thats all I'm saying for now.
How do you guys think this fight would go an who do you think would win?
Jackelope
5/31/09 2:48:21PM
I would go with Barnett in this one. He's much more MMA savvy for one, has way better standup for two, and for three has the definite submission edge.

I would have absolutely 0 hesitation picking Barnett in this fight. He's big enough that Lesnar's size isn't going to affect him like it does to guys like Couture
SmileR
5/31/09 3:05:07PM

Posted by Jackelope

I would go with Barnett in this one. He's much more MMA savvy for one, has way better standup for two, and for three has the definite submission edge.

I would have absolutely 0 hesitation picking Barnett in this fight. He's big enough that Lesnar's size isn't going to affect him like it does to guys like Couture

I'm not so sure you know, Josh would still be roughly 20lb lighter than Brock and he uses his wrestling to set up the majority of the submissions he's got on his record.
He controlled Heath Herring who weighs roughly the same as Josh like he was a child and I think if he wasn't so cautious in that fight could have destroyed him any time after the mid way point in the fight.
Brocks striking is far less technical I wouldn't even dream of arguing that point, but he is so much faster than Barnett I actually think it would cancel out the difference.

Josh isn't exactly known for knocking people out so the only thing he could do with his striking is maybe pepper Brock on the feet where as Brock so far has dropped 3 HW with one punch.

You're right about the MMA experience and this is one of the reasons I'v been back on forth on the subject. Barnett must know hundreds of more ways to end the fight that Brock but could just revert to his wrestling and grind out a safe decision if worst came to worst.

I'v been thinking about this all day for some reason an each time I come up with a way one can win I think of a reason the other could cancel that out.

sclasclemski
5/31/09 3:21:42PM
My gut says Brock...he has improved immensly with every fight...I can't wait to see how he looks against Frank next month...i would be able to make a better decision after that fight
mrsmiley
5/31/09 3:26:17PM

Posted by Jackelope

I agree.

Josh is a great catch wrestler,but he also has great sub skills as well.
It would be like taking some of the best of what Couture and Mir have to offer and putting it in one opponent for Brock to fight (I know that comparisson is a bit generic,but the best way I could put it on words)

I say the beginning of the first round would be somewhat hesitant from both fighters. The end of the first round see's Brock dominating with Josh on his back.

The second round starts out much like the first,but Lesnar initiates early this time around,but to no avail.
Barnett stays out his range and peppers him with shots from the outside.
Lesnar pins him up against the fence around the two minute minute mark,but Barnett keeps great balance and doesn't go down.
After a bit of stalling they are put back in the center of the cage.
Brock comes in with a short,fast left followed with a lunging right.
It's close,but Barnett evades the shots and counters with a one two of his own that lights Brock up a bit.
Brock stumbles back a bit and Josh comes in with with a small flurry,but Brock soaks up most of it.
The end of the second round ends with Barnett winning that one.

Third round begins and Barnett comes out looking confident.
Brock isn't out of the game yet though.
Brock goes for the takedown,but to no avail,barnett is throwing combinations and takes Brock out.
postman
5/31/09 3:35:15PM

Posted by SmileR
Josh isn't exactly known for knocking people out so the only thing he could do with his striking is maybe pepper Brock on the feet where as Brock so far has dropped 3 HW with one punch.

Ask Pedro Rizzo about Barneys ko power. I'm taking Barrney in this one. MMA wrestling and NCAA wrestling are a little different. This is one we prob will never see due to Barney not coming to the UFC ever agian and Brock prob never leaVING.
telnights
5/31/09 3:41:30PM
I think this is a very close fight. I would have to go with Brock for the UD but I feel it a 50/50 fight right now. But in a year or so I would say Brock 100% as He gets better every time we see him fight and I cant say the same for Barnett. Don't forget Brock may not have the better stand up but he clearly has the speed and power to put Barnett out. He also has the better wrestling hands down.
Wolfenstein
5/31/09 3:55:15PM
I would go with Barnett, particularly because he has an awesome array of toe holds that I think would be very effective against Brock. I just see Barnett being able to use a lot of different strategies to get the submission. I could even see Barnett pulling guard to transition to a heel hook.

I'm not sure Brock has the better wrestling hands down. I mean Couture would have put Brock on his back if he hadn't grabbed the cage, and Josh put a wrestling clinic on Randy.

I won't discount Brock's potential, and his freakish athleticism--but I still feel like he has a lot of question marks regarding his submission defense.
PABLOMAFIOSO
5/31/09 4:22:05PM
I think Brock would overwhelm Barnett for the TKO, there aren't many people that can stay standing after being hit by Brock. Also not many people can resist his takedowns, at 265+ with his ability to control he is a legit challenge for all top HWs. Barnett holds the advantage with subs only IMO and I don't think he would get the opportunity.
grappler0000
5/31/09 5:29:09PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I would go with Barnett, particularly because he has an awesome array of toe holds that I think would be very effective against Brock. I just see Barnett being able to use a lot of different strategies to get the submission. I could even see Barnett pulling guard to transition to a heel hook.

I'm not sure Brock has the better wrestling hands down. I mean Couture would have put Brock on his back if he hadn't grabbed the cage, and Josh put a wrestling clinic on Randy.

I won't discount Brock's potential, and his freakish athleticism--but I still feel like he has a lot of question marks regarding his submission defense.

I'm not sure how long it's been since you've watched Couture/Barnett, but Randy was the one that put on a wrestling clinic. Randy took Josh down and controlled him the entire time, up until the end...and it was a leglock attempt followed by a series of strikes that changed the tempo of the fight.

To answer the original question, I would say the fight would be a tossup right now, but Lesnar gains the edge over time.
TNPanther78
5/31/09 6:14:18PM
I think Lesnar would pull out the victory.
StorminYourman
5/31/09 6:49:58PM
Lesnar!~ I have not seen Barney do anything of substance off his back.That is where the fight will take place.
1daveufc
5/31/09 7:03:39PM
Brock by tko in 2rd
mkiv9secsupra
5/31/09 7:21:32PM

Posted by StorminYourman
I have not seen Barney do anything of substance off his back.That is where the fight will take place.

I believe Barnett reversed Pawel Nastula from the bottom and secured a toe hold/leg lock of some sort. You havent seen Barney do much from his back because he is rarely ever there.

Lesnar has won in fights he was stylistically the favorite. All he had to do to get the title was out wrestle Herring and Couture, and with his size he made it easy.

I think all Barnett would do is roll for kneebars and leg locks until he caught Lesnar or until the fight was stood up then dominate on the feet while it was there.
Pookie
5/31/09 7:45:07PM
Barnett is alot more bottom heavy then brock is and i think that will pay a huge toll on lesnars ability to get takedowns.
tdietel01
6/1/09 1:47:08PM
I think brock takes it 8 out of 10 times. as soon as the takedown happens its over.
Aaronno9
6/1/09 2:12:19PM
Barnett sub.
ncordless
6/2/09 1:54:12AM
Easy. Barnett's arsenal includes a ton of leg locks that most people don't even train for in the US. I have a hard time believing that Brock stays out of one all night.

Barnett sub rnd 1.
Boo_Radley21
6/5/09 1:51:32AM
Brock would ******* wreck Barnett.
theKirK
6/8/09 9:10:05AM
Id have to go with Brock on this. i see a repeat of Brock V Herring. But i honestly mean this as a compliment to Brock rather than hating of Barnett.
deezyo
6/8/09 11:42:33PM
barnett
AchillesHeel
6/9/09 8:34:38AM

Posted by theKirK

i see a repeat of Brock V Herring.

Not. A. Chance.

Even if Lesnar caught Barnett with a big punch - which is unlikely to begin with - Barnett is a much better submission fighter than Herring is. People seem to forget that after breaking Herring's face, Lesnar spent 12-13 minutes holding him down and giving him noogies. He didn't finish him because he couldn't. And if he hadn't landed that big punch, I think Herring might have won that fight, because Lesnar showed nothing but wrestling. And before anybody starts talking about Lesnar's ground n' pound, it's mediocre. At best. He had both Herring and Mir right in the crosshairs, and he couldn't finish either of them.

All of this man-love for Brock Lesnar is getting on my nerves. I'm becoming more of a Frank Mir fan by the hour.
AchillesHeel
6/9/09 8:52:11AM

Posted by SmileR

I'm not so sure you know, Josh would still be roughly 20lb lighter than Brock and he uses his wrestling to set up the majority of the submissions he's got on his record.

He controlled Heath Herring who weighs roughly the same as Josh like he was a child and I think if he wasn't so cautious in that fight could have destroyed him any time after the mid way point in the fight.

Well, he broke Herring's face first. Also, weight is only one factor, technique is arguably more important, and Barnett is a better wrestler than Herring. Lesnar had a harder time with a Light-Heavyweight who happened to be an excellent wrestler (and whose face was intact). Barnett is a much better fighter overall than Herring, and a much bigger fighter overall than Couture.

Just to throw out some numbers, I note that in the last 5½ years, Barnett has 6 wins by submission hold, never by the same hold twice. He's like Batman in The Dark Knight Returns: "There are seven working defenses from this position. Three of them disarm with minimal contact. Three of them kill. The other-- [SNAP] --hurts."

Posted by mrsmiley

Josh is a great catch wrestler,but he also has great sub skills as well.

Just fyi, Catch Wrestling is submission wrestling.