Bad timing: Thiago Alves knows he can beat Georges St. Pierre

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Bad timing: Thiago Alves knows he can beat Georges St. Pierre
SmileR
7/18/09 7:37:31PM
“I have nothing to say, he was better than me that night and now I have to go back to my training and work hard to get this belt. There are a lot of thing in my camp that was a mistake. Now I see the mistakes that I did and I’ll fix them and won’t let it happen again. St. Pierre is a great fighter, fought very well, but I couldn’t find myself in the fight. I learned a lot with this fight, I saw what the best fighter in the world has at his best, seen the best of the best fighter and I know I can beat him…. The only problem that I had in my preparation for this fight is that I wasn’t with my Muay Thai coach, with whom I train for the last three years. He had to go away three months ago and I missed him a lot. I felt out of timing in the fight…. My cardio was good, I was strong, but my timing wasn’t good.”

Former number one welterweight contender Thiago Alves talks about what went wrong during his five-round unanimous decision loss to 170-pound kingpin Georges St. Pierre at UFC 100. “The Pitbull” — who still feels he can defeat “Rush” despite the lopsided drubbing — makes no mention of “weighty issues” having any impact on his performance. Instead, he reveals that his striking, which is clearly the most dynamic aspect of his game, was what failed him because his instructor was out of town for the final three months of training. Regardless, Alves will have to get back in line and work his way up the welterweight ladder for another crack at the unstoppable Canadian. Who’s next? His next fight is still up in the air, but perhaps you want to play matchmaker in the comments section below — Jon Fitch, Marcus Davis, Dan Hardy … what showdown do you want to see?

Link
joshryanshepherd
7/18/09 8:50:03PM
its gonna take a lot more than good timing to dethrone Georges
Rush
7/18/09 9:41:57PM
. . .
grappler0000
7/18/09 11:34:30PM
Dear Thiago,
It's not timing, it's called riddum...you cannot andle his riddum!
jiujitsufreak74
7/19/09 1:05:32AM

"best fighter in the world at his best"....the man pulled his f*cking groin and still made you look like an amateur; keep dreaming Thiago
KaibaThedon
7/19/09 1:36:24AM

Posted by grappler0000

Aaronno9
7/19/09 1:52:55AM

Alves has "bad timing" GSP pulled his groin and could hardly walk. I think that made the fight even.

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

Alves got owned. And if they fight again, if bet my house it would happen again. I mean, no disrespect to Alves or anything, after Fitch and GSP hes the best WW in the UFC at the moment, but he doesnt stand a chance IMO.
fizzle
7/19/09 5:30:50AM
I thought Alves did an okay job, despite GSP's groin pull. I am by no means saying that he can or could have beat GSP but the words I said at the end of that fight is Thiago will be back. I think if Alves can get it together he can be a threat to GSP and by no means a push over. I think by the next time these two meet in the octagon it will be a different and more diverse Thiago Alves.
telnights
7/19/09 5:31:07AM
First it was the weight cut from his trainers and now its his timing? Why cant some guys just be honest and say I lost to the better fighter and let it go at that. But making excuses is just plan sad. Plus saying I know I can beat a guy who just beat me 5 out of 5 rounds 3 of which he had a pulled muscle sounds a little crazy to me. But if he feels that was the cause then so be it but if my coach wasn't around to train me for a fight this big I would have found a new MT coach. Which still lays the blame on him and no one else.
Shawn91111
7/19/09 7:29:59AM

Posted by telnights

First it was the weight cut from his trainers and now its his timing? Why cant some guys just be honest and say I lost to the better fighter and let it go at that. But making excuses is just plan sad. Plus saying I know I can beat a guy who just beat me 5 out of 5 rounds 3 of which he had a pulled muscle sounds a little crazy to me. But if he feels that was the cause then so be it but if my coach wasn't around to train me for a fight this big I would have found a new MT coach. Which still lays the blame on him and no one else.

I dont know if Id ever admit anyone was a better fighter, player, athlete. You dont really find many guys saying that in sports or competition. Maybe he could say he was the better fighter on that particular night.
dangerfield
7/19/09 7:50:06AM
His timing was definately off, he should try fighting GSP when he's not expecting it, fighting him once he knows you're going to fight him seems to be bad timing to me.

No offence to Alves, he showed alot of heart and class in that fight but GSP dominated and even dropped him. Even with the groin pull Alves couldn't mount much offence.
Rush
7/19/09 8:02:03AM
The problem with a lot of these interviews is that when they are presented they are presented in such a way as they look like excuses. However, what does a fighter say when he's being interviewed and asked the question: WHY do you think you lost? Are they all supposed to look like a dumb shit and say: he was better than me. ??

That's why I don't get up in arms about "excuses". As long as it deals with their own shortcomings, rather than play down the other guy's abilities, I am ok with it.
mshalosky
7/19/09 8:23:10AM
everyone keeps saying stuff about gsps pulled groin. I dont think that really made a differance in the fight with all that adrenaline built up u dont feel injuries like that. i didnt see a major difference between when he pulled his groin in the 3rd to the 4th and 5th rds maybe a little bit but i dont think his injury hindered him as much as people think it did.
prozacnation1978
7/19/09 9:24:45AM
here come the excuses!!!!!!!!!
jiujitsufreak74
7/19/09 9:57:31AM

Posted by mshalosky

everyone keeps saying stuff about gsps pulled groin. I dont think that really made a differance in the fight with all that adrenaline built up u dont feel injuries like that. i didnt see a major difference between when he pulled his groin in the 3rd to the 4th and 5th rds maybe a little bit but i dont think his injury hindered him as much as people think it did.

from someone who has pulled his groin in the middle of a grappling match, i can tell you it is extremely painful no matter how much adrenaline you have...especially if you have to sit in your corner for the minute break in between and feel it even more.
Giant_Ochai
7/19/09 1:44:23PM
Another poorly veiled excuse.
cheesy-maggot
7/19/09 2:00:15PM
Damn what is wrong with you guys, HE said GSP was the better fighter. He said he made mistakes. What do you guys want him to say?
scobac
7/19/09 2:02:43PM
I think it's the other stuff he said people are upset about, I think the issue isnt what we want him to say but rather be humble and dont say anything and just train for another run at the title.
GSPCanada
7/19/09 2:18:51PM
I don't really see it as an excuse honestly there are reasons guys lose and they just admit it. do i really think his muay thai coach would have made a difference, maybe but probably not. it was ur typical striker vs grappler match and thiago couldnt stop the takedowns. I personally do think it was bad timing, but a different kind, like 3 years to soon for alves, no sarcasm intended, he hasnt peaked yet and he still has some work to do.

ad for his next fight a rematch against fitch, or a rematch against lytle, the hardy match sounds appealling tho
xdanish020
7/19/09 2:23:43PM
Too bad for him he didnt get to see GSP at his best because GSPs elbow was all jacked up before the fight. I'd like to see it again, but I think the second time GSP finishes Alves.
xAcidburNx
7/19/09 7:41:20PM

Posted by KaibaThedon

Posted by grappler0000

what does your avitar say. i cant read it my eyesight must be going bad
Doneskiis
7/20/09 6:35:08AM

gsp at his best? he had a groin unjury and his elbow had an elbow. the next time they fight its just going to end up the same.
KaibaThedon
7/20/09 9:51:47PM

Posted by xAcidburNx

Posted by KaibaThedon

Posted by grappler0000

what does your avitar say. i cant read it my eyesight must be going bad

Says Georges "Rush" St. Pierre

then it says my screen name at the end.