Another bad night for boxing

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Another bad night for boxing
Poor_Franklin
10/16/11 4:22:36AM
LOS ANGELES -- There was no more history for Bernard Hopkins, the 46-year-old marvel. And no career-defining victory for Chad Dawson.

Instead, their light heavyweight title fight ended in a storm of controversy in the second round on Saturday night, with the crowd inside the Staples Center chanting obscenities and nobody happy about the way it ended.

Who could blame them after the disgrace they had witnessed?

ESPN
Poor_Franklin
10/16/11 4:25:43AM
youtube link

hbo takes vids down pretty quick but here's a link. go to 2:55 in the vid or w/ 23 seconds left in the 2nd round
Kpro
10/16/11 4:29:18AM
So for anyone who did or wants to shell out over fifty bucks to see two technical boxers guaranteed to go to decision (barring something like this) with their below average work-rates. We may get to have it on PPV again!

each guy averaged landing a punch every 36 seconds in the first round. Snail paced matchup as expected.

It'll be a No Contest shortly, but sucks for anyone who bet on B-Hop.
pmoney
10/16/11 7:38:12AM
This is amazing. I don't have a whole lot of faith in MMA officials at the moment, but I feel that were there a similar situation in the UFC, it would have called it a no contest on the spot.

I didn't know you could TKO someone without throwing a strike!!

Boxing makes me sad these days
warglory
10/16/11 9:40:05AM
Man, his opponent was pretty classless too accepting the belt on those terms. I would have been ashamed to let that belt go around my waist.
Budgellism
10/16/11 9:54:46AM
That's ridiculous. Should have definitely been a NC. Why would he tackle him in the first place though. I'm not a huge boxing follower but every bit of boxing I've seen lately has been complete bullshit.

And after watching the replays it looks like there is no reason why Hopkins should even be hurt from that.
FastKnockout
10/16/11 12:30:00PM

Posted by Budgellism

That's ridiculous. Should have definitely been a NC. Why would he tackle him in the first place though. I'm not a huge boxing follower but every bit of boxing I've seen lately has been complete bullshit.

And after watching the replays it looks like there is no reason why Hopkins should even be hurt from that.

"And after watching the replays it looks like there is no reason why Hopkins should even be hurt from that."

That's what I'm thinking, and I'm surprised it even caused him to fall.
Kpro
10/16/11 12:44:46PM
Hopkins is notorious for leaning on opponents (this one was more of a jumping on), and holding opponents (illegal). Dawson knows that and went overboard on how he shrugged him off (illegal). Hopkins is also notorious for faking injuries multiple times throughout his career, everyone in the arena was probably skeptical, still not a good call that he gets a TKO loss but I think it's funny for a known faker to have to sit for a couple days/weeks with it and has to prove his A-C joint separation to get it changed to a No Contest. Though apparently it's already been diagnosed as such that night, so unless that story was fake or that doctor doesn't have a license, then it'll be a NC.
prophecy033
10/16/11 4:49:16PM
"and it goes down, down, down, in a ring of fire, in a ring of fire"
Chael_Sonnen
10/16/11 6:06:05PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

LOS ANGELES -- There was no more history for Bernard Hopkins, the 46-year-old marvel. And no career-defining victory for Chad Dawson.

Instead, their light heavyweight title fight ended in a storm of controversy in the second round on Saturday night, with the crowd inside the Staples Center chanting obscenities and nobody happy about the way it ended.

Who could blame them after the disgrace they had witnessed?

ESPN

hashyandy4
10/16/11 6:29:53PM
When i was watching live i couldnt stop laughing. I'm not sure if i was laughing at how weak the main event was, or that my Bro in law shelled out 60 bucks to watch it.
ghandikush
10/16/11 9:14:28PM

Posted by hashyandy4

When i was watching live i couldnt stop laughing. I'm not sure if i was laughing at how weak the main event was, or that my Bro in law shelled out 60 bucks to watch it.

Welcome to boxing....... and future MMA events.