How bad was Affliction's commentating?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » How bad was Affliction's commentating?
POLL: How bad was it?
A guy with tourettes could have done better 30% (13)
The commentating was to bad what Tito's head is to big 34% (15)
My ears started to bleed after the first minute so i couldn't hear much after 16% (7)
I watch the events on mute 5% (2)
I actually thought it was good 16% (7)
jiujitsufreak74
1/25/09 2:50:03PM
Tito Ortiz = the worst commentator i have ever heard while watching MMA. he messed up so many times, like when Barnett hit a nice souffle or when Fiador KOed Arlovski, and he was just being ridiculous. calling himself a JJ fighter, saying Dan Lauzon was faking his injuries only to later say that he had a lot of heart to come back from those groin strikes. i was absolutely appalled at how atrocious Tito was, luckily i found it so bad it was actually humorous, but i mean come on now.

also, the guy working backstage sounded like he smoked 5 packs a day, how the hell did he get that job? when i closed my eyes i thought a 70 year old lung cancer patient was talking.

anyway, those ar emy two cents...what did you guys think?
grappler0000
1/25/09 2:59:04PM
I agree, it became very painful to listen to after a while. I really didn't understand the Scott Farrall and Chuck Zito thing at all. The fights were good, but I swear I'll watch it on mute next time.

And..I've seen many fighters get behind the mic, but I wholeheartedly agree that Tito was the worst commentator that I've ever heard.
breakdown5
1/25/09 3:00:36PM
The commentary was not good. The only time I paid attention was when Scott Ferrall popped on the screen (the lung cancer guy). He does a sports radio show on Sirius and is pretty funny. Should stick to his radio show. He was so over the top it was hilarious, with his eye's bugging out of his head and his crazy voice. Chuck Zito was not good backstage either.

I was just hoping for Bas to pop up and take over the commentary. Tito was not good and made plenty of mistakes with the ringside comments. Production was better than the first event, but still not good.
Bowen50
1/25/09 3:03:03PM
i voted that a guy with tourettes could do better but i think someone with a much worse predicament could do better than Tito did last night. i think a dead guy with dog poo smeared on his lips could have done a better job than Tito. then they had that guy with the voice of a 100 year old woman that has been smoking for 70 years. good event, HORRIBLE commentating.
Twenty20Dollars
1/25/09 3:05:45PM
Well when i was watching the prelims on justin.tv, the sound was wack, so I guess it was a good thing I could hear them commentating. So voted mute for me.
casey64
1/25/09 3:10:50PM
My ears looked like James Thompsons one ear, after hearing the commentary.
urbman
1/25/09 3:12:13PM

Posted by breakdown5

The commentary was not good. The only time I paid attention was when Scott Ferrall popped on the screen (the lung cancer guy). He does a sports radio show on Sirius and is pretty funny. Should stick to his radio show. He was so over the top it was hilarious, with his eye's bugging out of his head and his crazy voice. Chuck Zito was not good backstage either.

I was just hoping for Bas to pop up and take over the commentary. Tito was not good and made plenty of mistakes with the ringside comments. Production was better than the first event, but still not good.

I seen that ferrall guy on a fantasy football show during the season,and he recommended playing Matt Ryan that week,and the falcons had a bye, LOL
Gipper
1/25/09 4:11:50PM
as long as the fights are good i don't give a ****.
tuvok500
1/25/09 4:27:42PM
Well, the description of the track was good, i really thought that " assassin " was going to win, but like the commentators said the track is slippery specially in corner 3 so.
I was impressed by how the jokey handled his horse when it was nose to nose in race 13th !! Like the commentator said the jokey was the best MW jokey of the night !!

I don't underrstand why you guys didn't appreciate the commentators part ?!?!

Wait, wait, it was not horse racing ????!!!??? It was MMA ????@@!!#^%

that's why the names were not matching with my tickets !!
postman
1/25/09 4:29:17PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Well when i was watching the prelims on justin.tv, the sound was wack, so I guess it was a good thing I could hear them commentating. So voted mute for me.

Too bad for you Tito wasn't on the Prelim show! it was Bas and Kenny.
copcopps
1/25/09 4:46:36PM
I knew Tito was washed up fight wise but I didn't know his mouth was also washed up.

I would rather listen to Yoko Ono
Khaos
1/25/09 5:05:06PM
The announcing/commentating was worse then YAMMA's, and the only thing that saved YAMMA was jeff blatnick.I thought every commentator,annoncer, or what ever was horrible, escpecially ferrel(annoncer for previously mentioned YAMMA and the annoying raspy voiced backstage guy) and ortiz. I don't like how in about every fight they'd put over the loser of the fight(like Lauzon-Green). I think the only way the announcing/commentating could have been better is if the (pardon my language) gweedo looking one announced the entire show, at least then it be funny instead of painful.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
1/25/09 5:08:58PM
Give a hand for babalu ... one of the best light heavy weights ........... of the night .
cmill21
1/25/09 5:32:00PM
What the hell happend to Trigg? Also I know Quadro's would love to do it. Trigg and Quadro's!
cj_striker
1/25/09 6:50:27PM
Haven't been on here in about a day and a half and I just watched the Affliction show from last night. And I was wondering if anyone had posted this already, I figured they had. May God, did Tito sound like a dumbass. He better hope his back heals up nicely and he performs well for Affliction as a fighter because he definitely doesn't have a future in commentating. But to be completely honest though, I don't know if he has had too much experience in it or what, I can't remember him ever commentating before. I do have some training videos by him though from back in the day and he talked crazy on that too, so I pretty sure that's just the way he talks when he talks for a extended period of time.
Yeah, and then there was the two ***** farts backstage (the guy who should have been cast for the Soparanos as Joey the Pussyfart Spaghetti and the guy who sounded as if he smoked a whole cigarette factory before the show). Great fighters, but honestly everything else sucked. Well the refs were good, but besides that.
PABLOMAFIOSO
1/25/09 7:18:18PM
Laughable commentating and interviewing by Tito and co. Some of my favourites were: "Let me tell you what you thought of the fight" (Tito) and "That right hand is Fedor's trademark.....right hand" (Jimmy Smith). Also I would like to get the ring announcer in the "blue corneuuuuur!" and lay down some GnP!
Tein_Lung
1/25/09 8:51:05PM
i was unaware that a souflet was a MMA move... i thought it was something that was a PITA to cook...

Mchubb316
1/25/09 10:14:09PM
It was very bad. Tito has no business commentating a fight, let alone an entire card. Florian, Couture, Trigg, Mir, are all much better to listen to, and speak better than Tito. I hope Affliction is done with that experiement.
Drudinh
1/26/09 2:17:46AM
Big John should have been commentating instead. I thought he did a decent job last time.
Ordep
1/26/09 11:08:24PM
^ yep, tho only problem is that Big John was refereeing last night so it was not an option.

Anyways, I re-watched it again today and did what I always do every time I watch a UFC replay...SAP to Spanish (its really funny if you can understand it).

To my surprise the SAP with Affliction was even better, it didn't have a Spanish option but just to turn off the commentators. So I watched it as if I were there at the venue, just the fight with the environment sounds. Actually the mics near the ring got a little louder and you can hear all the referee and corner talk better.

So, if you can watch the replay on Dish Network try this, its really nice.
jakeiceman
1/27/09 4:39:57AM
I found a great way to get past Tito's horrible commentating.....I smashed my balls with an encyclopedia for the whole event. I t worked suprisingly well, I forgot all about Tito.
Solidus
1/27/09 8:03:50AM
Too bad they couldnt have kept Bas and Kenny for the PPV side.

and the back stage stuff was HORRIBLE...i was hoping Babalu would jump ole raspy voice in the locker room.

MattHughesRules
1/27/09 2:16:37PM
I am not sure I can give a strong enough word to describe how badly the commentating sucked. Let's just say it left me dying to hear the wisdoms of Goldy and Rogan this weekend!
jiujitsufreak74
1/27/09 2:41:54PM

Posted by Solidus

Too bad they couldnt have kept Bas and Kenny for the PPV side.

and the back stage stuff was HORRIBLE...i was hoping Babalu would jump ole raspy voice in the locker room.

yeah it looked like Babalu was going to eat him alive