A backlash to being #1

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » A backlash to being #1
bls1919
2/15/09 11:07:32AM
The UFC is undisputed as a company. They are #1 in the MMA fight game. Now that they have become this JUGGERNAUT they are haveing to release a number of fighters from their stable. Names like Clementi, and Fioravanti as of late have sparked debate. With the trickled down effect of fighters going to other Orgs, does the UFC lose some edge as the fans will watch other PPVs and such to follow good fighters? I guess its a great thing for the expansion of the sport, but in the long run will it not hurt but, put a dent in the UFC armour?
Boo_Radley21
2/15/09 11:53:04AM
I get what you're saying, but I'm sure they realize that in all honesty, it sucks to see Clementi and Luigi go because they were pretty entertaining, but they aren't superstars that are gonna cause tons of people to switch over. It's not like losing Arlovski or anything.
Franklinfan47
2/15/09 12:06:14PM
I agree with what your saying. Its something ive noticed too. One example is Gurgel. Like two minutes after he was released by the ufc he was picked up by Strikeforce. While not being a superstar fighter, he's always exciting and people recognize him. So, by letting him go the ufc is actually helping these companies get notoriaty because they build up fighters people will recognize. Its kind of a double edged sword though because they ufc cant hold onto every fighter, they have to make room for new upcoming talent and big name superstars. I mean look at even the XCF card last night in Daytona. The only fights people were interested in were fights that featured ufc veterans Frank Trigg, Jesse Taylor, Terry Martin, and Jeremy May. I mean, Jeremy May isn't even a good fighter (5-6 now I believe), but people took a mild interest because they saw him on the ultimate fighter.
fizzle
2/15/09 12:07:37PM
I agree with what your saying, the run off of the UFC strengthens other organizations, but I think, through keeping their operation as pertaining to the stable of fighters as lean as possible allows them to keep acquiring fresh new talent that will one day run the divisions they are in. I believe that in this the UFC keeps their armor strong while at the same time helps other organizations to acquire some "big show" name recognition to drum up their own sales and increase the popularity of MMA. We all saw what happened to Elite who tried to run with the big dogs immediately and they did it badly. As far as I am concerned the only real backlash to being number one is you have to put up with a bunch of guys like us scrutinizing and criticizing every move they make, but it all come with the territory of taking our money. Good thread man, really got me thinking.
tmas
2/15/09 12:15:18PM
the same thing happens with these smaller orgs, they build up stars, (bring in stars) then they go to the big leagues or back to the big leagues.
EvenFlow
2/15/09 12:22:25PM
Being #1 for so long and being such a dominate name in MMA (if not the best throughout the sports history) I just dont see any large backlash going there way unless other organizations are being affected worse for some reason or an economic downfall. There are things we might all like or dislike about the UFC and mistakes they might or have made but their company is now a breathing organism at this point.

Zuffa would probably have to destroy themself as a company to be #2 any time soon, I'm pretty sure they'll always be the biggest and best name in MMA. That being said at any given time in the future a organization like Dream or Strikeforce could come close like Pride did (some feel Pride was better) because I am 100% confident this sport is growing faster than any sport in history.

higdon10
2/15/09 1:07:39PM

Posted by EvenFlow
Zuffa would probably has to destroy themself as a company to be #2 any time soon, I'm pretty sure they'll always be the biggest and best name in MMA.

bls1919
2/15/09 5:29:37PM
Ok then other than Zuffa owned WEC, will we see a clear cut # 2 soon? I say yes. Strikeforce is expanding as we type, Affliction has a lot of top HW anyways. Dream is gaining momentum, and has a lot of talent in the lighter weights.
mk1630
2/15/09 10:41:31PM

Posted by bls1919

Ok then other than Zuffa owned WEC, will we see a clear cut # 2 soon? I say yes. Strikeforce is expanding as we type, Affliction has a lot of top HW anyways. Dream is gaining momentum, and has a lot of talent in the lighter weights.

The only thing wrong with that is that DREAM reportedly hasnt paid some fighters, and Afflictions spending more money than they should be and could be gone at any time.
mrsmiley
2/16/09 8:02:14AM
Well I would say their are certain backlashes to being number one,but I think the benifits well outweigh the drawbacks.

I think what could hurt them most about cutting fighters is,well you never know how greatly some of these guys might improve.Some might go to other orgs and could possibly get better as all around fighters and gain commercial success.

I'm not trying to say Gurgel would ever be the next Anderson Silva (),and what i'm proposing is a bit extreame,but hey you never know.
Aether
2/16/09 8:14:26AM
The fact that they can cut guys like clementi and fioravanti is a huge advantage for them. That's how good their overall roster is. This couldn't possibly be a bad thing, because even if fans want to follow these guys, I doubt any of them are going to stop watching the UFC just because they're gone. Even if they help another smaller org it still ultimately helps the UFC because their name is synonymous with the sport at this point, and any increased awareness in MMA means increased awareness in the UFC. As far as who will be #2, I guess time will tell.
jocka
2/16/09 7:29:49PM
I think its a good thing for everyone, smaller organization get some bigger name to highlight their show plus they get more fan to as well. As a fan we get to see bigger names fight everywhere so technically we get to see better mma fights in more mma orgs. For the UFC it shows hoe much fighter they have and up and comer fighters get to display their skills with the big boys.

I personally all for the fact that they are able to cut fighter like clementi, we all know that if he puts together a winning streak he will be back.