MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » babolu
chuck-da-iceman
6/22/07 11:09:08AM
were does renato babolu sobral go from here
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
cowcatcher
6/22/07 11:15:17AM
im guessing hes going to take on a gatekeeper role in the ufc if thats where he stays, although elite xc might be wise to sign him and set up a fight between him and soko. i believe he has 1 fight left with ufc so any other org will have to wait until thats done to sign him.
Naturaldisaster
6/22/07 11:15:58AM
Give him someone else that is coming off of a loss like the loser of rashad/tito
NME
6/22/07 11:24:54AM
He maybe fights a can, then he fights Shogun in their rematch.

The rematch with Shogun is the key. If there is time, you give him someone that will help build Babalu's reputation back up a bit in the pursuit of more cash in the Shogun v. Babalu rematch.
spider1179
6/22/07 11:52:41AM
I know he has 1 fight left in the UFC. I hope he wins unless it is against Shogun. Who knows from there.
slash
6/22/07 11:57:38AM
I'd like to see Babalu fight Jardine. Dominate and submit him to get his rep back up, because I like babalu and would like to see him stay in the UFC.

But if it does only have one fight left I'd love to see a rematch with Shogun. Shogun would probably beat the hell of him, but even if sobral put up a good fight maybe he would stay?
richieb19
6/22/07 12:05:26PM
I made a thread regarding this way back:

link

I think the biggest problem here is that people didn't actually see Lambert as a threat or even top competition (which I can't seem to understand why), and so it hurt Renato even more.
pv3Hpv3p
6/22/07 12:13:42PM

Posted by NME

He maybe fights a can, then he fights Shogun in their rematch.

The rematch with Shogun is the key. If there is time, you give him someone that will help build Babalu's reputation back up a bit in the pursuit of more cash in the Shogun v. Babalu rematch.

i dont think they'll worry much about building Babalu's rep back up, and they'll just through him at Shogun... Much like they threw Eastman at Rampage... Although Babalu has a much much better shot than Marvin did against Q

Renato will probably be defeated by rua, and then I can see him either signing with EliteXC or being the LHW champ over in WEC for a while, giving the young kids a tough test before moving them up to the UFC

I would really like to see a fight with Tito, I've been waiting for that matchup for a long time.
NME
6/22/07 12:22:42PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

i dont think they'll worry much about building Babalu's rep back up, and they'll just through him at Shogun... Much like they threw Eastman at Rampage... Although Babalu has a much much better shot than Marvin did against Q

The problem is: what if Babalu beats Shogun again? You have a guy who defeated a guy who may be the consensus best fighter in the world at 205lbs. who is without a contract.

Then you would be in a situation where your next big star has lost to a guy, would have no chance to avenge the loss, and the guy who beat him would either head to EXC/BODOG/wherever to cash in, or hold up UFC for a king's ransom.

If you give Babalu a can and he wins, he'd either re-sign or walk. If he walks, no harm done, because he beat a scrub. If he re-signs, he has more credibility to add to the storyline of the rematch against Shogun.

And if you give Babalu a can and Babalu loses, that's three straight losses in UFC and that about wraps it up for him. And at that point the can who beat Babalu would be on his way in the light heavyweight division.
fatdevil1982
6/22/07 12:59:51PM
they will deffinately through him straight at shogun for the rematch. then they will get rid of babalu and he will sign with another promotion.

my prediction, not my desire
nubby
6/22/07 2:40:55PM

Posted by fatdevil1982

they will deffinately through him straight at shogun for the rematch. then they will get rid of babalu and he will sign with another promotion.

my prediction, not my desire

Throw, not through.
MisFiT
6/22/07 2:44:38PM
Right now my bro Babalu's in a tough position, it's do or die. I don't wanna see him go so I hope they will throw him a can and not be stupid enough to throw him in against another top competitor coming off of these 2 KO losses... I feel bad man, I don't like to see anyone in this position, especially not Babalu. Well... Sylvia wouldnt be bad, but yeah uuuuh... That's all I gotta say really... Let's hope for Babalu to pull an Armbar out of his ass and get back ontop.
AmericanFighterAce
6/22/07 4:11:46PM

Posted by richieb19

link

I think the biggest problem here is that people didn't actually see Lambert as a threat or even top competition (which I can't seem to understand why), and so it hurt Renato even more.

Agreed I have been a huge Jason Lambert fan, he can bang for the buck and is a solid fighter all around, I would love to see Vera drop weight and fight Lambert .

Babalu is hands down a phenominal fighter, and I think you give him the winner of the Nickels/Bonnar fight, to test both Babalu to see if he still has it, and you test Bonnar or Nickels to see if they are "worthy" of a spotlight in the UFC.
If Babalu can win his next UFC fight, I would love to see him take on Forrest Griffin, then if he can win that to take on Shogun in this rematch we all are dying to see.

Babalu, go get em, we are cheering for ya.
pv3Hpv3p
6/22/07 4:45:11PM

Posted by NME

The problem is: what if Babalu beats Shogun again? You have a guy who defeated a guy who may be the consensus best fighter in the world at 205lbs. who is without a contract.

Then you would be in a situation where your next big star has lost to a guy, would have no chance to avenge the loss, and the guy who beat him would either head to EXC/BODOG/wherever to cash in, or hold up UFC for a king's ransom.

If you give Babalu a can and he wins, he'd either re-sign or walk. If he walks, no harm done, because he beat a scrub. If he re-signs, he has more credibility to add to the storyline of the rematch against Shogun.

And if you give Babalu a can and Babalu loses, that's three straight losses in UFC and that about wraps it up for him. And at that point the can who beat Babalu would be on his way in the light heavyweight division.

I don't think we'll see too much 'bringing up' fighters in the UFC for long... I know that one of the biggest downfalls of boxing is that they don't have enough compelling matchups. There are always one-sided record-padding fights... I've heard Dana talk about it, and don't think that the UFC will go in that direction.

Maybe it's a little too early to say this, and your probably right, but I think the guys in the UFC's office, know that not a lot of people want to see Shogun fight an easy fight... The guy's made his bones, and deserves to fight better, much like Fedor. Let the fighters build a fanbase the oldfashioned way, by just going in there and kicking ass...

You're right about the contract thing though... But I would think that Sobral would sign right away if he beat Shogun again... He probably wouldn't have to fight Chuck for the title again, and could possibly finally get that UFC strap around his waist.

It's a tough call... I really hope they give Shogun someone that will challenge him... Otherwise it can end up a lot like Richie said about Babalu vs Lambert... What's worse having an upand comer lose to an established fighter or to an unkown?
Signal2112
6/22/07 5:38:46PM
Sobral needs to get a win under his belt to try and build up some momemtum, but at the same time, I think he needs to steer clear of Shogun, at least for now, Shogun has got nothing but better since they last fought and I really don't think a rematch would be to the benefit of Sobral.
cowcatcher
6/22/07 5:50:28PM

Posted by Signal2112

Sobral needs to get a win under his belt to try and build up some momemtum, but at the same time, I think he needs to steer clear of Shogun, at least for now, Shogun has got nothing but better since they last fought and I really don't think a rematch would be to the benefit of Sobral.

great points, but in my mind the ufc sees babalu as a guy that cant get over the hump and win the belt so i can see them throwing him at shogun. i hope im wrong though because babalu is a great fighter, and id like to see him stay in the ufc after his contract is up.
Ultimate_fighter
6/22/07 7:09:15PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Give him someone else that is coming off of a loss like the loser of rashad/tito

Yea, thats the smartest thing to do...
Believe-in-judo81
6/22/07 7:46:13PM
I would to see him get one more decent match in the UFC, Tito would be a fight I'd like to see, and then take some serious time off to refocus and train. I think a year off to just refocus and get things sorted would do Renato wonders, he's had a rough time recently with the death of his brother and his MMA frusrations. So yeah, take some time off to look at himself and get his mental focus back, train hard, and come back with a vengeance! I'd especially like to see him do some serious work on his hands, hook up with Rampage and Ibarra or go see Freddie Roach at his gym. Babalu with some good solid boxing fundamentals would be scary.
LightsOut33093
6/22/07 9:40:03PM
babalu has beat shogun b4 idk y all of u r giving babalu no chance agenst him
hippysmacker
6/23/07 2:21:06AM

Posted by richieb19

link

I agree, Lamber may not be top 10 yet, but I see him as top 15. Also IMO Babalu should be kept around ,unless he loses 2 more in a row, or shows very poorly in his next fight at least. He's too good to just drop to me without more prrof that he can't rebound. Sometimes people are like Sharks, as soon as they see a little blood in the water they attack. I've heard way too much smack on Wandy also. It's not like Wandy got wupped by a couple of scrubs.
Signal2112
6/23/07 7:02:27AM

Posted by cowcatcher
great points, but in my mind the ufc sees babalu as a guy that cant get over the hump and win the belt so i can see them throwing him at shogun. i hope im wrong though because babalu is a great fighter, and id like to see him stay in the ufc after his contract is up.

yeah, Sobral is a good fighter and all, when he is on form. He has acheived some amazing feats in his MMA career, but he always seems to be the "almost man". Like when he had his winning streak before his match against Chuck, he was on fire, but then Chuck put him away and it seemed like he had to start from scratch again.
mkiv9secsupra
6/23/07 1:59:50PM

Posted by chuck-da-iceman
were does renato babolu sobral go from here

......... .......maybe he should fight Renato Babalu...Babolu vs Babalu........interesting matchup................
rcg916
6/23/07 2:17:57PM
Babalu: best one night tournament performance ever... anyone agree?
LightsOut33093
6/23/07 3:08:52PM

Posted by rcg916

Babalu: best one night tournament performance ever... anyone agree?

no